Why did school teachers have odd names you never hear off?

in juniors I had a teacher called Mr Winthrop. never heard of that name since. he had a curly moustache and wore a tweed jacket with pads on the elbows. i think all my other teachers had normal names, they weren't normal though

Ritchie Pitt was my P.E teacher. was nowt but a bully to kids
My only memory of Richie Pitt is him being part of the Sunderland team in a recording of "It's a knockout" filmed on the seafront at Roker circa 1979 or 80, Sunderland v Gateshead v Newcastle. Gateshead won and went on to represent GB in Jeux sans Frontieres.

Going back to the point of the thread, I remember upon going up to Fulwell juniors as a 7 year old, that it was hilarious that there was a teacher called Mrs Mann, because that meant her husband would be a Mr Man.

My kids were all taught by a Miss Urban, which was fine until you went to parent's evening, and she'd be sat at a table with a name card saying "Miss T Urban". Now get that you can't help your surname, but you can avoid giving your daughter a name beginning with T

Off the top of my head I've had a Mrs Smith, Mrs Brown, Mrs Newton, Mr Brown, Mrs Taylor, Mr Williams, Mr Phillips, Mr Johnson, Mr Wright, and Mrs Turnbull. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Mr Roberts anarl.

Last edited:
I'd always say Maths like , still nowt wrong using Math tho, im nee English teacher but it's a singular word so doesn't need the 's' on.
Anyway.... our lass (no) works with a Mr I. Blow ...I'd have ta change me name .

surely plural ie mathematic(s) ??

Back