Why are we so well supported

We are an outlier city with few other local teams to support.

If we were in the south east we’d be spoilt for choice and our supporter numbers would be diluted.

With the promotion of Sutton I read it’s the first time London has had been represented *fairly/equally?????* in FL/PL system ever. IE Englands population divided by 92 is equal to London’s population divided by however many London clubs there are atm.
This of course may be woke metropolitan anti NE propaganda etc and someone else can do the working out cos I’m not.

*not sure of the reet word tbh? Demographically?

You learn about the 73 Cup final

You learn about rowells hatrick in 1979

You learn about Marco and Eric in the playoffs

You learn that red n white is the team to follow

You learn that black n white is the team to dislike

You learn of past legends such as gurney and Carter

You learn about passion, excitement, frustration and tears.

You learn about how you wished you were born in Madrid or Milan than one look at roker or the sol and Madrid or Milan gets banished

You learn if a player fights his arse off for you, gives you everything, his blood sweat n tears you applaud

You learn the language of Sunderland afc and after that no other words are needed
Every club has that sort of stuff.
'eff all else to do in the North East, that what the cock-er-knees used to tell me.
I didn’t want to be the one who said it.

I’d say for most people I know it’s a strong sense of family. Honouring and taking on what our parents / grandparents loved so much. SAFC might as well be a member of the family. Although it’s like going to a wake every week at the minute!

A place, region with an identity and one with pride.
From a soft southerner I always relate to the North and its areas of “being one” in comparison to the South that tends to not have that identity and feels more like outsiders with no affiliation to the place.
Football means something to the NE without doubt.

Sunderland is a one club city (town) and formerly a one club county which means it will have a big pool. That’s then coupled with a rich history from its foundation through to the 1950s which established a huge support base that has passed down the generations and spread geographically. We’ve always done just about enough since the 1950s to keep the hope alive and therefore the fanbase in tact.

We are currently in the most dangerous time period of the clubs history in terms of retaining the support and interest of the fanbase. If I’m not mistaken, we’ve never spent more than 6 seasons outside of the top flight.

Also many of the thousands of people who have moved away from the north east will still support Sunderland and many of their kids and grandchildren will support Sunderland.
This is so very true. My Dad moved away when he was 12 but the love for Sunderland has been ingrained into my brother and me from very young. I got married and turned my husband into a supporter of Sunderland and both my boys nicknames at school by teachers were ‘the black cats’. We go to games when time and money allows but would never support any other. SAFC are in my blood and I could never be more passionate about my club, whether in the Premier league or the lows of League 1. It’s still my club and love never dies.

The club definitely makes up a bigger part of people's identity here than a lot of places. I'd say that applies to Newcastle too.

It is illogical. Would be impossible to explain to someone with zero interest in football.

A lot of folks treat the match, especially at home, as a day out. This is obvious from the number of late arrivals/early leavers/out at 35 minutes to get a pint of piss water.

For me - an exile - it’s about connection to family and the NE. With work commitments I rarely get to games now and rarely get back to the NE in general but the club is that constant connection to my roots, the region and its culture and I’ll pass that on to my family. If Sunderland AFC was any other passion, I’d have packed it in decades ago given the consistent disappointment but I can’t do it as it’s part of who I am.

You shouldn’t be looking, perv. 😉

Hotel rooms already provisionally booked for the Pizza Cup Final 2022, Play off dates are still too pricey, will monitor.

Keen or what?
More mental than keen!
Hopefully will go up 1st or 2nd, not bothered about pizza cup, I'd rather we're knocked out in groups and use them games as friendlies

Last edited:
Sunderland is a one club city (town) and formerly a one club county which means it will have a big pool. That’s then coupled with a rich history from its foundation through to the 1950s which established a huge support base that has passed down the generations and spread geographically. We’ve always done just about enough since the 1950s to keep the hope alive and therefore the fanbase in tact.

We are currently in the most dangerous time period of the clubs history in terms of retaining the support and interest of the fanbase. If I’m not mistaken, we’ve never spent more than 6 seasons outside of the top flight.

Our current situation is a worry for future generations like plus the fact that Sky and social media glamourise the bigger Prem clubs more than ever. Last time I was home I was surprised by the number of City and Liverpool shirts worn by kids.

Back