Why are we so well supported

Big Jeff

Winger
A lot of us have supported the lads for more years than is logical.

We get big crowds and we are passionate about our team.

It has not always been this way mind as we had games at Roker with 8000 there.

(Swindon - 5-2)

But why is it there is such passion for our team when we are not exactly Real Madrid?

(Swindon - 5-2)

But why is it there is such passion for our team when we are not exactly Real Madrid?
One game with 8000 is not a pattern it's an anomaly. We've almost always had big crowds when there has been a big game plus positivity around the club. Yes we dropped to an average of around 12,000 I think at one point, but at the time most football clubs were getting small crowds as well.
We are a big area with only two big football teams, hence, large support for both clubs. And there's not much else to get excited about.

Last edited:
Also many of the thousands of people who have moved away from the north east will still support Sunderland and many of their kids and grandchildren will support Sunderland.
I think this is important.
I moved away in 1985. When my children were old enough I got season tickets and we did a round trip of 500 miles every home game and went to at least half of the away games each season for 15 years.
Sadly they are grown up now and we don't do it any more so we don't get to many games now.
Neither of my daughters were born in Sunderland.
Completely illogical.

I don’t find it illogical, it’s because of upbringing and the absolute love of football in this area, I am nearly 50 and it has always been that way, football is in people’s blood so they support their local club through thick and thin.

However I do find it illogical that we hate supporters just down the road doing exactly the same as us been brought up on football and supporting their local club

(Swindon - 5-2)

8003 v Plymouth was lowest for me. It was not normally as low as that though. Freezing but so fuck. Sing when ya winning is a big no no for me. Hence I don't boo now. Yes I can be pissed off but booing....nah.

Because our Dads took us when we were kids, just as his Dad had done before that, and his Dad before that.

Because it’s a rite of passage and standing/sitting in Roker/SoL as a kid leads to the transfer by Osmosis of the passion, the hope, the joy and the tears of the generations before us, and we need to carry the torch forward.

Because we were once a great club, and the chance, no matter how slim, that the glory days could return is ever tantalising.

Because we are one of only 2 (3 if you count Boro) clubs in a large conurbation of over 2 million people.

It's a social event as much as anything else plus when I was growing up there was actually nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon in Sunderland

Last edited:

Back