Why are we so well supported

-- because when our support base was being established we were actually winning trophies and usually always in contention for the league

-- large demand for weekend leisure/social events for the working classes and no real rival in terms of team sports in the region (amateur rugby used to be more popular here but lost out when football professionalised)

For many supporters it's life not a past time or hobby. You are born into it, the club is part of your family and you are hooked through and thick and thin. My dad was taken to games by his dad immediately after WW2 and possibly before the war in the late 1930s so God knows when my great grandad born in 1901 first started going.

The move to the SOL I think made a big difference to the level of support, the facilities are far better for younger supporters than Roker Park ever was, im guessing the % of female supporters has also increased since the move to the SOL.

Last edited:
A lot of us have supported the lads for more years than is logical.

We get big crowds and we are passionate about our team.

It has not always been this way mind as we had games at Roker with 8000 there.

(Swindon - 5-2)

But why is it there is such passion for our team when we are not exactly Real Madrid?
The population has increased in the area since the days of Roker Park. That will have an impact.

Also many of the thousands of people who have moved away from the north east will still support Sunderland and many of their kids and grandchildren will support Sunderland.
Parents were from Easington. I've never lived in Sunderland. Dad was in the Navy but visited Easington once a year at least and have fond memories of Roker in the Stan Cummins era. Live on the Southcoast now and so does my Brother. Both his boys love Sunderland too even though they have a lesser connection. Love going to games with them now. It never leaves you. My Dad passed away earlier this year. Like you say it stays in the Family. STID

The fact that there are only two league teams in the region must have a significant effect on numbers. But it's an inheritence from generation to generation that astounds me. I've never lived in the North East but followed in my Dad's footsteps and have now passed that on to my son. At games, lots of the people sitting near me are not from the area either. We have a large regional support supplemented by the wider nationwide support.... and it's the hope that things can only get better that draws us in.

I can’t speak for everyone but as someone from east Durham not the city I can only say as a kid football was everything and Sunderland were our team, thanks Dad. I’ve grown up a fair bit since then but not as far as Sunderland are concerned.

Oh and of course we are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Definately the tyne/wear passion (maybe looking thru rose tinted glasses) appears unique. I work allover and a huge % of folf who claim to support sides have a passing interest, or its not a huge deal to them or theyd never comitt to every home game.
Some feckers up here literally have zero to discuss bar footy. Can often be a bit tragic 😆

Obviously theres fantastic fans of all clubs, particularly down the league, us n the mags tend to have a higher % very comitted imo.

Also many of the thousands of people who have moved away from the north east will still support Sunderland and many of their kids and grandchildren will support Sunderland.
My Grandparents moved to Coventry for work in thirties, Dad was very young but Sunderland through and through as are myself, my brothers and now my son. Whilst I’m sure that happens at other clubs too sometimes it seems much more the case here. I’ve no idea why, it’s just part of our heritage/identity.

Last edited:
You learn about the 73 Cup final

You learn about rowells hatrick in 1979

You learn about Marco and Eric in the playoffs

You learn that red n white is the team to follow

You learn that black n white is the team to dislike

You learn of past legends such as gurney and Carter

You learn about passion, excitement, frustration and tears.

You learn about how you wished you were born in Madrid or Milan than one look at roker or the sol and Madrid or Milan gets banished

You learn if a player fights his arse off for you, gives you everything, his blood sweat n tears you applaud

You learn the language of Sunderland afc and after that no other words are needed

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in that 8,000 crowd v Swindon and the 8,000 v Plymouth.

We've had bigger numbers at away games, such is the support when there is a glimmer of hope/excitement.

Parents and grandparents passing on tails of former players and (perceived) past glory is a big factor.

I remember being told of the Bank of England Club and players like Clough, Shack and Ford as part of my SAFC education.

We were never far from the top flight and always signing talented players.

Once hooked that it's and you try and pass on the baton to your kids

I hope this continues but I can't imagine the current crop of players being fondly remembered as stories like "I was there when Will Grigg missed from a yard out" won't impresss any young 'un

I wasn't born into Sunderland AFC, I found it when I began developing total apathy for the top end of Scottish Football.

The club got under my skin after getting tickets to watch them play Arsenal at the SoL (1-0 the lads). Plus, living in east Edinburgh on the coast my whole life, the club feel like they are just down the road. It's not like there's many options in the North East compared to other parts of England.

When you look at the history of the city and the club itself... there is a real connection to us lot north of the border, which just strengthened my feelings for the club. I fully intend on bringing my two daughters down for a match next season for their first trip to see them as they keep asking!

Just thought it would be nice to share maybe a slightly different perspective of why the club have a large and loyal following.

Last edited:
We are a relatively big club in a relatively big city. The people of the north east are a proud bunch, proud of our areas history. The club is something we can channel those thoughts into

Did I read somewhere that there used to be a Saturday shift in the shipyards? Just thinking about sometimes smaller crowds.

I think what people need to appreciate about Sunderland and it's surrounding areas, is that it's never been the most affluent of places. It's a (post)industrial area, and without trying to be cliche a hardworking area, but there's been a lot of hard times to go with that. Whilst we were once one of the most successful clubs in the land, two World Wars, strikes, dwindling contracts, closures of the shipyards and the pits etc takes a toll. People can't always get to the match, and we all know about our fortunes on the field since that first relegation in the '50s. Then you have to factor in actual problems at the game itself like crowd violence, hooliganism, and the at best uncomfortable and at worst unsafe stadia.

By the mid '90s, Nissan helped to stabilise employment in the area, tertiary industry was on the rise, the minimum wage had come in and football was becoming safer and more glamorous. Unfortunately, as much as I loved the place we had a dilapidated old ground and a struggling 2nd Division side. Enter Peter Reid and the move to the Stadium of Light and of course people came flooding back in their droves. Well done Bob Murray for realise the place was ripe for a 40,000+ seater stadium.

And yet, as ever, the fortunes of the side, and the fortunes of the surrounding area will always affect the crowds. About ten year ago, with one of the best sides we've had in generations, crowds suffered, and Niall Quinn's left scratching his head. What he failed to appreciate is how much the economic downturn will affect the gate. It's not always the football, as paradoxically crowds recovered as the team got worse.

Historically, we've had some massive crowds - especially for the Cup. Sunderland supporters loved the FA Cup. I use loved deliberately.

When Bob Stokoe was appointed, crowds had dwindled massively. We were a Division 2 side going nowhere. His remit was to get the crowds back. The Cup run obviously did that. The people have always come out for the big games.

Sunderland is a massive club. Huge. Never let anyone tell you different 'cos they're wrong, and probably support somebody a lot smaller. We have fans all ower, for all kinds of weird and wonderful reasons. There's some of them on here. We have a tremendous catchment area. We're historically entwined with the County and it's people. The fortunes of the club will always resonate with the populace. I know plenty of people who don't or can't get to the games, but it's not for lack of caring. It's just people have lives. My Dad had to stop going once upon a time - I was to blame for that. Doesn't stop ya loving the club though. And a lot of people love this club.

That my waffle for the day. x

Last edited:
A love for the game within a large town, now city, without any other professional sports. No rugby or Cricket clubs to follow. Of course, Association football was a sport restricted to the elite and high classes in its infancy, but working class towns and people changed that.

Tough, manual, large numbers of heavy industrial work (historically), Saturday afternoon was escapism for a lot of blokes for a few hours.

Plus very loyal people. Many other clubs would fail to get a fraction of what we continue to get after the crap we have had to go through.

Maybe the chance to have a few pints with your mates and get away from daily life is as big as a draw now as it was a hundred years ago?

Loads has changed in the town(city) over the years, but one thing has remained a constant and that's heading to Roker or now the SoL to watch the lads. Its passed down from grandparents and parents, something you are born into.

We are all mad, no matter how much they kick us in the nuts, especially recent years, we still go back for more.

It's definitely a love and pride in the club. In terms of away games, they really bring out the best in our support and the lengths people will go to watch the team. I actually think Sunderland supporters are a bit 'unhinged' in a nice way.

Out of all the things during this pandemic, missing away games is definitely one of the things I miss the most.

I started going with my Dad and my uncle when the Sol opened, my Dad had always gone to the matches through the Roker Park years and Ive continued going. I havent had a season ticket since the Moyes year but I still go when I can. My Dad had a season ticket all the way up until Covid put an end to the season and he passed away last year. I can still see him decked out in his red and white shirt for the playoff final a couple of seasons ago when him and his mate went.

As for the fans being all over this is something I can agree with, Ive met SAFC fans in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and St Petersburg in Russia of all places.

Did I read somewhere that there used to be a Saturday shift in the shipyards? Just thinking about sometimes smaller crowds.

I think what people need to appreciate about Sunderland and it's surrounding areas, is that it's never been the most affluent of places. It's a (post)industrial area, and without trying to be cliche a hardworking area, but there's been a lot of hard times to go with that. Whilst we were once one of the most successful clubs in the land, two World Wars, strikes, dwindling contracts, closures of the shipyards and the pits etc takes a toll. People can't always get to the match, and we all know about our fortunes on the field since that first relegation in the '50s. Then you have to factor in actual problems at the game itself like crowd violence, hooliganism, and the at best uncomfortable and at worst unsafe stadia.

By the mid '90s, Nissan helped to stabilise employment in the area, tertiary industry was on the rise, the minimum wage had come in and football was becoming safer and more glamorous. Unfortunately, as much as I loved the place we had a dilapidated old ground and a struggling 2nd Division side. Enter Peter Reid and the move to the Stadium of Light and of course people came flooding back in their droves. Well done Bob Murray for realise the place was ripe for a 40,000+ seater stadium.

And yet, as ever, the fortunes of the side, and the fortunes of the surrounding area will always affect the crowds. About ten year ago, with one of the best sides we've had in generations, crowds suffered, and Niall Quinn's left scratching his head. What he failed to appreciate is how much the economic downturn will affect the gate. It's not always the football, as paradoxically crowds recovered as the team got worse.

Historically, we've had some massive crowds - especially for the Cup. Sunderland supporters loved the FA Cup. I use loved deliberately.

When Bob Stokoe was appointed, crowds had dwindled massively. We were a Division 2 side going nowhere. His remit was to get the crowds back. The Cup run obviously did that. The people have always come out for the big games.

Sunderland is a massive club. Huge. Never let anyone tell you different 'cos they're wrong, and probably support somebody a lot smaller. We have fans all ower, for all kinds of weird and wonderful reasons. There's some of them on here. We have a tremendous catchment area. We're historically entwined with the County and it's people. The fortunes of the club will always resonate with the populace. I know plenty of people who don't or can't get to the games, but it's not for lack of caring. It's just people have lives. My Dad had to stop going once upon a time - I was to blame for that. Doesn't stop ya loving the club though. And a lot of people love this club.

That my waffle for the day. x
And waffle it was.
I need a lie down :lol:

Back