Whos the best centre half you have seen for the lads...,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised it took 2 pages before Todd got a mention. He was before my time but most of the old timers I know rated him better than Hurley. (I'll get me tin hat)
I think the reason he’s not mentioned is that he wasn’t an out and out centre half.
He generally played around the centre halves, tremendous pace and awareness, and fearsome in the tackle.
A great player.

Definitely Steve Bould for me. The way he read the game was class and made up for his lack of pace. He was always in the right position.

Mensah was some player. Varga on debut.Thought ord and Melville were a great pairing the last two seasons at roker. Always liked craddock. Great in the air. Real pace.

But in an absolute league of his own despite his age, steve bould. Could read the game like a book. An absolute rolls royce.
Sotirios Kyrgiakos
Kader Mangane
Sebastian Coates
Coates was capable of some performances though.... that nil nil at arsenal to keep us up he was brilliant

Last edited:
This ^^^
But, tbf, the OP did say " .. you have seen .." , so fair play to those nominating others who did not have the chance to see THE King!
Dave Watson is obviously the best i have seen after that.
Must admit we were spoiled in our time with what was around in the 60s. Sometimes wish I was a wee bit older then could have watched the likes of Shack. etc. which was just before my time.

Reactions: BNM
Undoubtedly, though Charlie was my childhood hero, Dave Watson who played considerably more games (702) than Hurley (590) and at a higher level at a higher level including with three First Division teams including Sunderland, was the classier player.

Undoubtedly, the King Charlie is number one, but Dave Watson was not far behind, and Jeff Clarke would be number 3.
Colin Todd was magnificent but not a centre-half.

Too young to see Hurley and Watson was leaving as I started going- Loved Jeff Clarke - Tony Towers was a fantastic player but only played a couple of times as a centre half more central midfield.

Surprised it took 2 pages before Todd got a mention. He was before my time but most of the old timers I know rated him better than Hurley. (I'll get me tin hat)
This all day long. One of the classiest, wished he stayed longer with us.
I think he learned to tackle from Martin Harvey (not a CH).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back