Whos the best centre half you have seen for the lads...,

Status
Not open for further replies.

This ^^^
But, tbf, the OP did say " .. you have seen .." , so fair play to those nominating others who did not have the chance to see THE King!
Dave Watson is obviously the best i have seen after that.
God help the poor buggers who have started watching SAFC over the last few years and only have the current crap to compare with:oops::oops::oops:

Reactions: BNM
Charlie would be the obvious choice, and like many here, Dave Wason pushes him close. As "classic" centre halfs they stand out, but in terms of a more modern CH then Colin Todd had a remarkable ability to see where the play was going and be in the right place to cut the attack out - amazing ability and foresight - - one of the most crazy things we did was transferring him when there was no need............Yes .....I am 70 years old :)

Last edited:
I just missed Charlie Hurley.

1. Dave Watson
2. Colin Todd
3. Johnny Evans/Jeff Clarke

I really liked both Gary Bennett and Jody Craddock - they were exciting to watch plus I'd also give an honourable mention to John McPhail and Paul Butler - who were both very effective in good promotion winning teams.

Weve had far more good centre halfs than weve had centre forwards. Not going to say 'spoilt' as we could never consider ourselves that.

I loved Benno for pure entertainment value.

Jolean Lescott?
Did he ever play a game for us or was he just one of the other hanger ons???
Charlie would be the obvious choice, and like many here, Dave Wason pushes him close. As "classic" centre halfs they stand out, but in terms of a more modern CH then Colin Todd had a remarkable ability to see where the play was going and be in the right place to cut the attack out - amazing ability and foresight - - one of the most crazy things we did was transferring him when there was no need............Yes .....I am 70 years old :)
Cloughie took our eyes out on that one .

Last edited:
I was lucky to see both play for the lads......tho I was just a bairn when Charlie played.... Watson was a superb player who i watched when I was older. I'll go for The King as I will never forget the calls of Charlie Charlie Charlie at corners and its turned a young kids head!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back