Who is usually the first name that enters your head when

Then, I’m never sure whether he was as bad as everyone made out at the time. He, Oster and Kilbane have been the most disliked players in my time.
Oster is a strange choice, considering he clearly sorted his reputation out as he had a very popular chant "used to be shite, but now he's alright".

Yet his name always comes up on these threads.
I've said it a number of times but Kilbane actually hid on the field, the lad didn't want the ball as a result we played with ten men pretty much every time he was in the team. He's lucky individual stats weren't monitored in the same way they are today.
Exactly my memory of him too.
A confidence player who was actually very good - but absolutely shot to pieces when he was with us, and did exactly as you said - hid. Made sure he was always marked so he wouldn't get the ball.
Then once a game he either go on a good run, hit a good shot, or do 1 good tackle which would stick in the mind of some fans, and fool them that he'd had a good game.

Even worse when he was moved into the middle, with McCann going absolutely apeshit trying to do the work of 2 players.

I never said he was shit. I did say I really really hated him at the time though. Its worse to play shit when you have the ability to do well. Now I look back, I was probably harsh and I wouldn't be surprised if he was suffering from mental health issues.

Last edited:
Oster is a strange choice, considering he clearly sorted his reputation out as he had a very popular chant "used to be shite, but now he's alright".

Yet his name always comes up on these threads.

Exactly my memory of him too.
A confidence player who was actually very good - but absolutely shot to pieces when he was with us, and did exactly as you said - hid. Made sure he was always marked so he wouldn't get the ball.
Then once a game he either go on a good run, hit a good shot, or do 1 good tackle which would stick in the mind of some fans, and fool them that he'd had a good game.

Even worse when he was moved into the middle, with McCann going absolutely apeshit trying to do the work of 2 players.

I never said he was shit. I did say I really really hated him at the time though. Its worse to play shit when you have the ability to do well. Now I look back, I was probably harsh and I wouldn't be surprised if he was suffering from mental health issues.
Yep, you've nailed his time here. I couldn't stand him and still can't, he's never spoken well about Sunderland after leaving, which is rich considering we had to endure his piss poor performances whilst he was here.

George Kinnell.
A rugged centre half. Not so slim Jim's second cousin cousin ( but you know that ) - played in all the '67 cup games when getting to Wembley was the be all end all. Couldn't have been that bad. But displaced the King and will forever be tarnished. McColl to blame.

A rugged centre half. Not so slim Jim's second cousin cousin ( but you know that ) - played in all the '67 cup games when getting to Wembley was the be all end all. Couldn't have been that bad. But displaced the King and will forever be tarnished. McColl to blame.
I never rated him - he had good players around him. Another Rangers man!

Back