Whisky

I know loads on here don't like The Scotch, but are there any whisky lovers out there?

I'm partial to Ardbeg, but have a taste for most of it to be fair.

What's your New Year dram of choice?
Haven't been able to touch the stuff since my mate's 18th when I got wasted on Glenfiddich. Even the smell makes me want to puke and this was 25 years ago(!)

Haven't been able to touch the stuff since my mate's 18th when I got wasted on Glenfiddich. Even the smell makes me want to puke and this was 25 years ago(!)

I have the same reaction and similar reason for hating gin.

Just started drinking it and only tried a few, so far singleton has been the nicest. And currently drinking talisker which I'm not impressed with.

I'm not a fan of Talisker as it is far too harsh for my liking.
Very smokey tasting. Was quite impressed with the glenfiddich bottles I had. Feel like I'm on a journey and finding out I like.

Thought jim beam was very nice and Jack daniels canny.

Have evolved from have jack with coke, to without coke and just an ice cube and now drinking everything neat in the space of 2 weeks. Might have a problem 😂

There was a thread on here before christmas about whisky.
I mentioned the only one i had tried was Bells, and it was bloody awful, and was told its basically a cheap "mixer" whisky...ie shite. I had never touched it since.
But, one of the whisky's recommended was a one from Lidl, Ben Bracken. I bought the Strathspey (there is also a highland and an Islay), and i must say its really nice. I can drink it neat, it hasnt got that harshness that i remember Bells being like.

I mentioned the only one i had tried was Bells, and it was bloody awful, and was told its basically a cheap "mixer" whisky...ie shite. I had never touched it since.
But, one of the whisky's recommended was a one from Lidl, Ben Bracken. I bought the Strathspey (there is also a highland and an Islay), and i must say its really nice. I can drink it neat, it hasnt got that harshness that i remember Bells being like.
Same here. All I've ever had previously was bells and it was awful. Been told to stick to malts or bourbon

How much do they go for at Lidl?

How much do they go for at Lidl?
They are all £17.49.
Google lidl whisky, the Ben Bracken branded ones....they come very highly recommended. There is a couple of youtube reviews as well.
Have a look through the threads on here for the thread i was on about.....it was just before christmas.

It was called "starter whisky", and was started on 3rd december. I dont know how to copy a link to the thread.....

Last edited:
Ledaig, Glentauchers and Glenturret are my distilleries of choice at present and more reasonably priced than most of the more well known brands. I always pick up Springbank 18 and Longrow Red every year too and they are generally rather fine. Have a soft spot for Glenburgie too.

Had a canny Auchentoshan American Oak on NYE.
Got Glenlivet, Jura, Glenfiddich, Laphroig in the cupboard at the moment.
Best one I've ever had was a Bruichladdich unpeated, can't remember which one!

My three favourites:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Agree with Ardbeg but I'll pass on the other two
Ledaig, Glentauchers and Glenturret are my distilleries of choice at present and more reasonably priced than most of the more well known brands. I always pick up Springbank 18 and Longrow Red every year too and they are generally rather fine. Have a soft spot for Glenburgie too.

Got to say Cambeltown might have only three distilleries ( Glen Scotia, Springbank and Kilkerran ) but all three are really good.
Do like the Longrow from Springbank.

Last edited:
Writers Tears is on offer at Marksies if you like Irish stuff - very decent.

Asked for some of that for Christmas but it never came. Copper Pot?

Got a gift pack of 3 x 50ml Talisker. Had the Talisker Skye (didn't like too peaty) and the Talisker Storm (was much better, could have been as was my second and palate had changed)... have the 10 yr old to try.

Back