Whisky

They are all £17.49.
Google lidl whisky, the Ben Bracken branded ones....they come very highly recommended. There is a couple of youtube reviews as well.
Have a look through the threads on here for the thread i was on about.....it was just before christmas.

It was called "starter whisky", and was started on 3rd december. I dont know how to copy a link to the thread.....

That's good if its a nice single malt. I'll pick one up for the weekend in that case

That's good if its a nice single malt. I'll pick one up for the weekend in that case

Had both the Aldi ( Glen Marnoch) and Lidl ( Ben Bracken) Islay.
Both are pretty decent and both priced at £17.49
I'd guess the Speyside and Highland versions are of pretty decent standard for the money

After asking advice on here regarding a starter whisky I was pointed towards the Ben Bracken Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky from Aldi.

I had this idea of a few drinks by the fire with the dog at my feet with the kids in bed over Christmas, but never really drank Whisky it didn’t start well. Added a bit water to my first glass but it was just like fire as I swallowed it and the heartburn kicked in immediately...what I learnt was I needed to leave it in my mouth and appreciate the taste before swallowing it. By leaving it in my mouth for a short while as I swallowed I didn’t get that burning taste! Bingo, I think I’ve cracked drinking whisky...just ice, no water, swill around mouth before swallowing. I’m now a fan and will likely start to purchase a few more expensive bottles soon.

I decided to treat myself in duty free and get a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

I'm breaking my own rule about how much I spend on whisky (since my taste isn't refined enough to notice much difference once you get over 40-50 quid for a bottle) but fuck it! I deserve it. :cool:

I decided to treat myself in duty free and get a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label.

I'm breaking my own rule about how much I spend on whisky (since my taste isn't refined enough to notice much difference once you get over 40-50 quid for a bottle) but fuck it! I deserve it. :cool:
As the bairn says. If you can afford it, get it.

Got a bottle of Cotswolds for Christmas. I'm nee expert but it's canny nice. Thought England didn't do nice whisky?!

My three favourites:

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Strip out the Macallan and replace it With Laphroaig Quarter Cask and you have 3 standards that are always on rotation on my sideboard. Although the Ardbeg is currently Corryvreckan rather than the 10 as Amazon cocked up my daughters order and sent the Corryvreckan by mistake for the same price. Not that I’m complaining.
The only non Islay one I’m partial to for a change is the Glenmorangie Lasanta Sherry cask.
Don’t do expensive Whisky as I drink too much of the bloody stuff so try to keep it to around £50 a bottle max but just finished a bottle of the Caol Ila 18 the missus bought me which was very nice.

Strip out the Macallan and replace it With Laphroaig Quarter Cask and you have 3 standards that are always on rotation on my sideboard. Although the Ardbeg is currently Corryvreckan rather than the 10 as Amazon cocked up my daughters order and sent the Corryvreckan by mistake for the same price. Not that I’m complaining.
The only non Islay one I’m partial to for a change is the Glenmorangie Lasanta Sherry cask.
Don’t do expensive Whisky as I drink too much of the bloody stuff so try to keep it to around £50 a bottle max but just finished a bottle of the Caol Ila 18 the missus bought me which was very nice.
I got the 18 for Christmas, lovely.
Ballantines any good as a cheaper blended scotch? Heard it’s OK.
Aye it's fine. I've got a bottle of the 17 yo blended on the go.

Last edited:

Do like the Laphroaig QC ( often got a bottle in my stash) Not had the Corryvrecckan but have had the "Uggi" which I love.

Off to Islay in May ( not for the Feise Ile) and we're doing Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain and Laphroaig over the two full days we're there....can't wait

Got a bottle of Cotswolds for Christmas. I'm nee expert but it's canny nice. Thought England didn't do nice whisky?!

Will give that a look. The Lakes Distillery also worth a try.

Will give that a look. The Lakes Distillery also worth a try.

Might go for a tour and a sample when I'm up there

Back