Whisky

Just having a snifter of Isle of Jura 10 year malt at this very minute. One of the big four had a very reasonable deal on; when I had to step out for essentials for family

Was never much of a whisky drinker but starting to get into single malt now.
Also love some bulleit rye
Enjoyed Bulleit Rye myself. I've just bought a Colonel EH Taylor Straight Rye, it has amazing reviews and I'm looking forward to trying it one day. Mind the same could be said for Pikesville 6 year old and although I did like it it far from blew me away.

I actually preferred Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond which was cheaper too. If you fancy trying another Rye in an almost similar price bracket as the Bulleit (it's slightly more expensive) I'd highly recommend the Rittenhouse

Just poured myself a Craigellachie 10 ( part of the 20cl and glass offer on Amazon) it’s very decent.

would buy a full bottle if I could track it down.
There is the official bottling 13 yr old which I’ve not tried
Was tempted by that, its my kind of price!!
Does the glass make any difference? I'm sipping my Ben Bracken Speyside out of a small whisky glass that i liberated from the Celtic club in Washington....at a funeral!!

Was tempted by that, its my kind of price!!
Does the glass make any difference? I'm sipping my Ben Bracken Speyside out of a small whisky glass that i liberated from the Celtic club in Washington....at a funeral!!
The Glencairn's are good for swishing their contents round in and nosing them. I'm shite at identifying actual aromas mostly (as in pinpointing what they are or remind me of) but if ye sling ye whisky round in one of them a few times before ye drink it, it's fair to say you'll definitely smell different layers.

The Glencairn's are good for swishing their contents round in and nosing them. I'm shite at identifying actual aromas mostly (as in pinpointing what they are or remind me of) but if ye sling ye whisky round in one of them a few times before ye drink it, it's fair to say you'll definitely smell different layers.
Ah, right...thanks for that. I cant pick out individual aromas, but if i swilled the whisky around my glass it would come out the top!
Might buy the 20cl and glass as mentioned, and use my current glass for soft boiled eggs.

Ah, right...thanks for that. I cant pick out individual aromas, but if i swilled the whisky around my glass it would come out the top!
Might buy the 20cl and glass as mentioned, and use my current glass for soft boiled eggs.
Craigellachie churn out some seriously good whisky by all accounts so to grab a 20cl of theirs with a Glencairn for £13-£14 is decent IMO, the glass on its own would cost you about £7

Enjoyed Bulleit Rye myself. I've just bought a Colonel EH Taylor Straight Rye, it has amazing reviews and I'm looking forward to trying it one day. Mind the same could be said for Pikesville 6 year old and although I did like it it far from blew me away.

I actually preferred Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond which was cheaper too. If you fancy trying another Rye in an almost similar price bracket as the Bulleit (it's slightly more expensive) I'd highly recommend the Rittenhouse

Thanks for that mate, il take a look at it 👍

Just poured myself a Craigellachie 10 ( part of the 20cl and glass offer on Amazon) it’s very decent.

would buy a full bottle if I could track it down.
There is the official bottling 13 yr old which I’ve not tried
Just poured me a dram from mine which arrived this morning and I must say I was very surprised......

because, and I'm 99.9% certain of this mind, it's not Craigellachie at all, in fact it's ARRAN! :lol:

Now by my own admission I'm far from what you could call a seasoned whisky drink or a connoisseur of any sorts, however I HAVE tried a heck of a lot of what Isle of Arran distillers have to offer...

I have family who live an hour (including ferry journey) from the distillery and I've visited a few times, I've had each of their core ranges, most of their limited editions, some of their distillery editions and even the odd private cask!

And I'm telling you, I'm 99.9% on the fact that what's in this bottle is a cask finished Arran.

I've no idea why they would try and convince anyone otherwise mind (unless it's just a huge error/oversight on their behalf)

I'm gonna request @shakerman's details so I can send him one, he'll know for sure I've little doubt....

Just poured me a dram from mine which arrived this morning and I must say I was very surprised......

because, and I'm 99.9% certain of this mind, it's not Craigellachie at all, in fact it's ARRAN! :lol:

Now by my own admission I'm far from what you could call a seasoned whisky drink or a connoisseur of any sorts, however I HAVE tried a heck of a lot of what Isle of Arran distillers have to offer...

I have family who live an hour (including ferry journey) from the distillery and I've visited a few times, I've had each of their core ranges, most of their limited editions, some of their distillery editions and even the odd private cask!

And I'm telling you, I'm 99.9% on the fact that what's in this bottle is a cask finished Arran.

I've no idea why they would try and convince anyone otherwise mind (unless it's just a huge error/oversight on their behalf)

I'm gonna request @shakerman's details so I can send him one, he'll know for sure I've little doubt....

I’ve had very little of Craigellachie so I’d be the last one to be able to tell.
If it is an Arran and between you and Shakerman, you manage to give me an idea of which one I’d buy a bottle.
I did have the Arran Madeira finish but unfortunately finished it ( very nice) and could have compared.
Do have the Arran 10 on the go and it’s not that.

what you think of it ? £14 for a bottle and a glencairn is good value

I’ve had very little of Craigellachie so I’d be the last one to be able to tell.
If it is an Arran and between you and Shakerman, you manage to give me an idea of which one I’d buy a bottle.
I did have the Arran Madeira finish but unfortunately finished it ( very nice) and could have compared.
Do have the Arran 10 on the go and it’s not that.

what you think of it ? £14 for a bottle and a glencairn is good value
Don't get me wrong mate it's worth every penny of the asking price, I'm just a bit miffed that (it seems) I've been mislead! It's still a fine dram though!

To be honest without an expert chipping in it could very well be that I'm wrong! However from the very moment I opened the bottle and smelled it, to pouring it in the glass and doing so again, and again, and again etc...

...to the very first (and last) taste. I've had half the bottle and I'm very strongly convinced it's Arran like. It massively resembles one of their cask finishes, to me it seems quite like their marsala cask finish although watered down slightly (as that was released at 50% ABV)

But like I say, I could well be wrong. (But I'm not like IMO :lol::p)

We deffo need @shakerman to investigate, if he pm's me his details I'll have a bottle sent to him. As a bloke who's undoubtedly tried lots of what each distillery has to offer I'd definitely respect his opinion and what's more, it might go at least some way to me saying thanks for the very kind gesture he made towards me earlier in the week... :D

Don't get me wrong mate it's worth every penny of the asking price, I'm just a bit miffed that (it seems) I've been mislead! It's still a fine dram though!

To be honest without an expert chipping in it could very well be that I'm wrong! However from the very moment I opened the bottle and smelled it, to pouring it in the glass and doing so again, and again, and again etc...

...to the very first (and last) taste. I've had half the bottle and I'm very strongly convinced it's Arran like. It massively resembles one of their cask finishes, to me it seems quite like their marsala cask finish although watered down slightly (as that was released at 50% ABV)

But like I say, I could well be wrong. (But I'm not like IMO :lol::p)

We deffo need @shakerman to investigate, if he pm's me his details I'll have a bottle sent to him. As a bloke who's undoubtedly tried lots of what each distillery has to offer I'd definitely respect his opinion and what's more, it might go at least some way to me saying thanks for the very kind gesture he made towards me earlier in the week... :D

I dare say he’s got every bottle of Arran available ;) So a comparison can be made
Intrigued as to what he thinks...does seem a weird thing to do.
Might have the whats left of mine,after I’ve finished the beer I’m supping

I dare say he’s got every bottle of Arran available ;) So a comparison can be made
Intrigued as to what he thinks...does seem a weird thing to do.
Might have the whats left of mine,after I’ve finished the beer I’m supping
I'll probably finish mine tonight like, although I may keep a dram for that final ponder after hearing shakerman's thoughts (if he's at all interested like)

To be honest I haven’t had a huge amount of Craigellachie either. I’ve only purchased the 23yo and 3 SMWS releases - it’s just not something you see in sale very often. I’ve probably sampled 8 or 9 different bottles on top of that mostly vis the generosity of mates.

To be honest I haven’t had a huge amount of Craigellachie either. I’ve only purchased the 23yo and 3 SMWS releases - it’s just not something you see in sale very often. I’ve probably sampled 8 or 9 different bottles on top of that mostly vis the generosity of mates.
I think you'll have a good idea of what's in this bottle though mate to be honest, as someone who's tried more expressions of Arran than of any other distillery I instantly associated it with them. But my knowledge is limited, I'd be grateful if nothing else for a second opinion...

I think you'll have a good idea of what's in this bottle though mate to be honest, as someone who's tried more expressions of Arran than of any other distillery I instantly associated it with them. But my knowledge is limited, I'd be grateful if nothing else for a second opinion...

Always happy to put my two pence in, not sure it's worth even that though! Finished 3 Longrow Reds recently (different releases) and went to get another to open... choices, choices... My missus needs to take my debit card off me.

Logon or register to see this image

Back