Whisky

removes a lot of the naturals oils and "mouth feel" many people think. Sure some others might be able to describe it better.
Not so much expensive ones, rather some distilleries do and some don't. Same with added caramel

Some say it removes things like minute peat particles and maybe even traces of the barrels it's aged in

£35 really starts to open up loads more...by then you should be looking for 46% ish ABV and non chill filtered.
Killerran 12
Benromach 10
Bunnahabhain 12
Arran 10

Glenn Scotia Double cask

All on Amazon at £35 quid ish...from Campbeltown, Islay to Islands

Just off the top of my head, sure others can add suggestions

Those 3 I've highlighted in bold are outstanding whisky's IMHO, I've never had the Kilkerran or the Glen Scotia, although I've been looking at their Victoriana for a while...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is £35.95 on Amazon, although Laphroaig's a very heavily peated whisky so unless you're prepared for that, it might be best to sample it first.

Dalwhinnie is a mighty fine dram IMO and will suit a beginners palate, I should know it's one of the very first single malts I remember trying and is probably a big reason why I fell in love with them.

Cragganmore 12 is another that falls into that category, delicious, although that falls into the 40% abv category

Take a punt on either one of the 3 I or @Cee Jay has mentioned and I very much doubt you'll be disappointed, although as I say I'd be careful diving into a Laphroaig if I'd never tried the brand before. These days I love it but I remember a time when I thought it hideous :lol: Such is the young palate @tunstallhill

Last edited:

Sorry lads but quite a big thread, was just wondering what you’s would recommend to get from the local supermarket for say £25 or less? Took a nice taste for it during this lockdown and down to the Famous Grouse so need something new tomorrow

Some say it removes things like minute peat particles and maybe even traces of the barrels it's aged in

Those 3 I've highlighted in bold are outstanding whisky's IMHO, I've never had the Kilkerran or the Glen Scotia, although I've been looking at their Victoriana for a while...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is £35.95 on Amazon, although Laphroaig's a very heavily peated whisky so unless you're prepared for that, it might be best to sample it first.

Dalwhinnie is a mighty fine dram IMO and will suit a beginners palate, I should know it's one of the very first single malts I remember trying and is probably a big reason why I fell in love with them.

Cragganmore 12 is another that falls into that category, delicious, although that falls into the 40% abv category

Take a punt on either one of the 3 I or @Cee Jay has mentioned and I very much doubt you'll be disappointed, although as I say I'd be careful diving into a Laphroaig if I'd never tried the brand before. These days I love it but I remember a time when I thought it hideous :lol: Such is the young palate @tunstallhill

I used to hate Laphraoig and now love the peaty stuff. As you say maybe not for soneone just dipping toes ( not that I’m in any way an expert)
The Quarter Cask is often around the £28 quid mark which is great value

Sorry lads but quite a big thread, was just wondering what you’s would recommend to get from the local supermarket for say £25 or less? Took a nice taste for it during this lockdown and down to the Famous Grouse so need something new tomorrow
Just have a look at the last couple of pages mate, that's how this convo with @tunstallhill started 👍

I used to hate Laphraoig and now love the peaty stuff. As you say maybe not for soneone just dipping toes ( not that I’m in any way an expert)
The Quarter Cask is often around the £28 quid mark which is great value
It's mental how your palate matures isn't it! Not sure if it comes with age or just appreciation of whisky if I'm honest.

The first couple of times I tried Laphroaig all I tasted was antiseptic, like gargling TCP, I thought it was fuckin arful!

However now I taste it's sweetness amongst everything and I absolutely love it. Obviously I get peat, smoke, seaweed and brine, and still a tinge of that medicinal kick but it sits perfectly with its sweetness lying underneath. As a younger bloke I just didn't seem able to grasp that, although in fairness I have read it's became sweeter over the years. The first time I tried it will have been early to mid 90's...

It's mental how your palate matures isn't it! Not sure if it comes with age or just appreciation of whisky if I'm honest.

The first couple of times I tried Laphroaig all I tasted was antiseptic, like gargling TCP, I thought it was fuckin arful!

However now I taste it's sweetness amongst everything and I absolutely love it. Obviously I get peat, smoke, seaweed and brine, and still a tinge of that medicinal kick but it sits perfectly with its sweetness lying underneath. As a younger bloke I just didn't seem able to grasp that, although in fairness I have read it's became sweeter over the years. The first time I tried it will have been early to mid 90's...

always avoided Islay peated malts...but amazing how they grow on you. Agree it’s the smoke/peat initially but amazing the sweetness you then pick up. Certainly note this with the Ardbeg core malts I’ve had.

always avoided Islay peated malts...but amazing how they grow on you. Agree it’s the smoke/peat initially but amazing the sweetness you then pick up. Certainly note this with the Ardbeg core malts I’ve had.
Funnily enough I always enjoyed Lagavulin. Don't get me wrong I much preferred a Speyside/Highland to anything peaty when I was young but I did always enjoy a glass of Lagavulin now and again. Their double matured (distillers edition) is awesome, well the ones I've tried anyway. Me Da still has a bottle of the '91 edition, one of the nicest whisky's I've had.

Got drunk on Glenfiddich on my mate's 18th back in 1994. Was ill for days. Haven't been able to even smell whisky since.

Hope this helps

Love a laphroig me, tucking into a 12 year old belveine mmmmm, safcsam maybe go for a Jonnie walker black it's got a soft peatyness to it and reasonably priced

The Lore is tempting me like, more than I usually spend but always wanted to try it, love all the other Laphroaig stuff I've tried

Ordered that
Honestly, I'd go for the Laphroaig 1815 legacy instead if you can find it anywhere near to the price of the Lore

Lidl, Ben Bracken Speyside single malt. £17.49

I've just taken delivery of a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold from Amazon and it is lush, one of the smoothest malts I've tasted. Only £25 reduced from £39 anarl.

Last edited:
I just got the Glen Marnoch Islay single malt from Aldi, same price. Just had to look on reviews on google as had never heard of it! You had it?
I've never had the aldi Glen Marnoch ones, but I think they are meant to be very similar to the lidl Ben Brackens....maybe the same.
Ive never been a whisky drinker, but I bought the lidl speyside following a recommendation on here, and found it really nice. I then bought the Lidl Islay, and that is really nice as well...really different to the speyside. I'm not sure which one prefer, I like them both, and will definitely buy both again.
The Ben Bracken and Glen Marnoch both get very good reviews, especially at that price point.

Back