Whisky

Sorry lads but quite a big thread, was just wondering what you’s would recommend to get from the local supermarket for say £25 or less? Took a nice taste for it during this lockdown and down to the Famous Grouse so need something new tomorrow
Glenlivit is lovely and about £22 I think
Just having a snifter of Isle of Jura 10 year malt at this very minute. One of the big four had a very reasonable deal on; when I had to step out for essentials for family
Had that yesterday for the first time. Very nice.

Currently having four Rose's for the first time. Very nice.

In fact other than 1 bourbon and single malt, I've liked them all. Must have tried over 20 in 4 months by now.
@samsafc just looked and its £32 now in asda the robbing bastards. However, makers mark was still £22 on Thursday which is a bastard steal.

Last edited:

In fact other than 1 bourbon and single malt, I've liked them all. Must have tried over 20 in 4 months by now.
@samsafc just looked and its £32 now in asda the robbing bastards. However, makers mark was still £22 on Thursday which is a bastard steal.
Cheers mate I’ll have a look! Drinking like mad atm like, one bottle lasted me only 2 days 😑, need this lock down to fuck off quick haha

Unfortunately - it's not lasting too well and is back up to full price again - ho hum.

One of them, woke up on landing floor this morning no clue of anything until I went to the bathroom, smell and sight of sick 🤢
Must have rang everyone in my phone contacts and uploaded a photoshop picture of my mates head on joe exotics body to Facebook. Some night.

I've been going back to a few previously opened bottles that I hadn't been overly impressed with on the first few tastings. This has been working out well, especially with a cask strength Benromach 10 which has been superb.

Over the last 2 nights I've been back on to a 60% non-chill filtered Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso. It's just not for me. I love big sherries whiskies, but this one is just overly sweet. I think they're trying to disguise how young the spirit is, just not working for me. Back on the shelf to have a go at it sometime in the future again.

Bought some gin on amazon earlier, decided to buy a bottle of whisky while I was on. £25 for a bottle of talisker skye, happy days - had a bottle a little while ago and really enjoyed it.

Anybody tried the Glendronach 12?
On offer for £35 at Master of Malt and I do like a sherry cask. Normally prefer something bottled around 46% and this only 43% but tempted to take a punt, if only because I’ll then have to add some others to make the shipping worthwhile :lol:

Anybody tried the Glendronach 12?
On offer for £35 at Master of Malt and I do like a sherry cask. Normally prefer something bottled around 46% and this only 43% but tempted to take a punt, if only because I’ll then have to add some others to make the shipping worthwhile :lol:

While I'd prefer it bottled at 46% it's still a fine drink.
Their 15 revival is fantastic ( only tried a sample unfortunately) though people say their original 15 is something else

The 12 is one of the first malts I really took to

While I'd prefer it bottled at 46% it's still a fine drink.
Their 15 revival is fantastic ( only tried a sample unfortunately) though people say their original 15 is something else

The 12 is one of the first malts I really took to
Thanks for that mate, I’ll give it a go. For nigh on 20 years I’ve been a purely Islay man but I’m enjoying broadening my horizons a bit in the last couple of years, in part thanks to some good recommendations on here.

Can anyone recommend a decent Islay effort? After something a bit different to the usual Lagavulins etc......

peated or not ?

Bunnahabhain for something less peated( though they do peated malts as well..
What about Kilchoman for peated but different from the usual brands...or how about an independent bottling ?
Port Askaig or Scarabus are reasonably priced

Last edited:

Back