Whisky

Have thought for years about joining SMWS…I know a few on here have.

The fact no bars nearby sort of put me off but maybe tempted to give it a go for a year.

What’s the quality and price range of their monthly outturns ?
Delivery free I take it ?
I’ve been a member for a good few years as you know…. but I won’t be renewing this year.

Quality wise I’ve had absolutely no complaints, I’ve been very happy with almost every bottle I’ve had but the value for money has declined considerably for me since the takeover/flotation.

They are looking to build a much stronger presence in the US where they can get higher prices - I’m guessing because they don’t have the same access to as many indies. Bottles I was buying last year for £60-£65 are now over £100. Whereas it was mainly 12-15 year olds I was buying it’s now mainly 8-9yo at the same prices. I know prices have gone up but they seem to be ripping the piss a bit on prices now IMO.

They do have 4 or 5 tasting nights a year at the Caledonian Hotel in Jesmond that you can go to - usually £35 for 5 drams and Lee Connor their Gateshead based rep is a decent fella.

I’ve just found that Cadenheads have been much more to my liking over the last year coupled with the sporadic stock up when Whiskybroker launch new releases so I’ll let SMWS lapse - although they will probably get me with one of their rejoining offers at some point :lol:

I’ve been a member for a good few years as you know…. but I won’t be renewing this year.

Quality wise I’ve had absolutely no complaints, I’ve been very happy with almost every bottle I’ve had but the value for money has declined considerably for me since the takeover/flotation.

They are looking to build a much stronger presence in the US where they can get higher prices - I’m guessing because they don’t have the same access to as many indies. Bottles I was buying last year for £60-£65 are now over £100. Whereas it was mainly 12-15 year olds I was buying it’s now mainly 8-9yo at the same prices. I know prices have gone up but they seem to be ripping the piss a bit on prices now IMO.

They do have 4 or 5 tasting nights a year at the Caledonian Hotel in Jesmond that you can go to - usually £35 for 5 drams and Lee Connor their Gateshead based rep is a decent fella.

I’ve just found that Cadenheads have been much more to my liking over the last year coupled with the sporadic stock up when Whiskybroker launch new releases so I’ll let SMWS lapse - although they will probably get me with one of their rejoining offers at some point :lol:
Still in the huff with those twats after their attitude when in their Edinburgh shop…I bear grudges :lol:

Still in the huff with those twats after their attitude when in their Edinburgh shop…I bear grudges :lol:
I always order my Cadenheads stuff from the Campbeltown shop. They are brilliant in there. I went in a couple of times on Campbeltown visits before I joined the Cadenheads club and they always looked after me (usually finding me a hard to get KK in the back room). Since I joined their club a few years ago I’ve always made a point of making sure I order from their shop.

I always order my Cadenheads stuff from the Campbeltown shop. They are brilliant in there. I went in a couple of times on Campbeltown visits before I joined the Cadenheads club and they always looked after me (usually finding me a hard to get KK in the back room). Since I joined their club a few years ago I’ve always made a point of making sure I order from their shop.
Yeah heard Campbeltown staff are great, just very un likely ever to be there.
Still picture the sneer and attitude from the bloke in Edinburgh shop

Yeah heard Campbeltown staff are great, just very un likely ever to be there.
Still picture the sneer and attitude from the bloke in Edinburgh shop
I don’t bother with their shops per se, I only ever order remotely but they do have this weird system whereby you have to ring a shop and reserve your bottles as a club member rather than a central portal.

@shakerman will know more than me but I think it was always a bit of a franchise operation in their shops but there was a big shakeup last year that I didn’t take much notice of :lol:

Whenever I have spoken to the Campbeltown shop on the phone, I have obtained the impression that they think they are doing you a favour by being there to sell you whisky whereas on the occasions that I have been in the shop they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.

Whenever I have spoken to the Campbeltown shop on the phone, I have obtained the impression that they think they are doing you a favour by being there to sell you whisky whereas on the occasions that I have been in the shop they couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.
You are probably right, I just find that ringing the shop to order is just seen as them taking your order whereas when you are there in person they will have a bit of craic, find out what you like and make some recommendations.

I don’t bother with their shops per se, I only ever order remotely but they do have this weird system whereby you have to ring a shop and reserve your bottles as a club member rather than a central portal.

@shakerman will know more than me but I think it was always a bit of a franchise operation in their shops but there was a big shakeup last year that I didn’t take much notice of :lol:
Aye, they got rid of all the mainland Europe franchise shops which didn’t go down well with a lot of their European customers let alone the shop owners.

I’ve only ever had issues with the London shop but that’s changed stewardship since I last had any interaction with them.

Going to get a bottle of Aberlour A Bundh, on master of malt its £78 for the batch 79 but £88 for the batch 80. I know batchs can vary but given the price difference of a tenner, anyone know if the batch 79 is awful or batch 80 is particularly good? Don't fancy spendng the best part of £80 on a dud

Going to get a bottle of Aberlour A Bundh, on master of malt its £78 for the batch 79 but £88 for the batch 80. I know batchs can vary but given the price difference of a tenner, anyone know if the batch 79 is awful or batch 80 is particularly good? Don't fancy spendng the best part of £80 on a dud
Batch 80 is more poorly reviewed on whiskybase. The A’bunadh is so highly sherried I doubt it makes a huge difference either way unless either is sulphured.

Silent still night for me tonight. Can't say I'm a fan of the Caperdonich, there's a disconnect between the spirit and the peat, likely due to the lightness of the former. The Lochside is decent albeit it's a little thinner than I'd like though possibly not as thin as the abv suggests. Like eating pecan pie with an ancient wooden spoon you found in a dusty attic.
428512982_261998916946418_5288564401713281839_n.jpg429407725_389561657025322_1388349878665132577_n.jpg
McTears are having a third Lombard Collection auction. I bought a few bottles of the Glen Keith 30yo for £90 last month (£75 + VAT). There are no fees other than the VAT, but you also have to go collect. The. Glen Elgin won’t blow you away but it’s very decent, especially for that price.
Bearing in my there’s VAT to added, these are crazy prices for 30yo Glen Elgin
IMG_2155.jpeg
Edit: I keep saying Glen Elgin rather than Glen Keith…

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
My mate has a special bottle of limited edition whisky and I think it’s from a small producer. I will get the name and if anyone knows what it’s worth that would be champion.

If anyone is interested in any of the Lombard bottles from McTears, the final auction begins on the 18th. I’d heartily recommend the Glen Keith 30 for £65, there’s also a decent young Speyside blend that went for £24 per bottle at the last auction and a well priced Bunna 25.
I can’t imagine this will stick around for long when it’s released
IMG_2181.jpeg

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
If anyone is interested in any of the Lombard bottles from McTears, the final auction begins on the 18th. I’d heartily recommend the Glen Keith 30 for £65, there’s also a decent young Speyside blend that went for £24 per bottle at the last auction and a well priced Bunna 25.
I can’t imagine this will stick around for long when it’s released
View attachment 15327
Hopefully 1 bottle per customer to give people a chance.

Back