Whisky

Tesco finest 12 year old is meant to be Dalmore 12 for those who fancy trying it on the cheap

just can’t get away with Dalmore, their over reliance on presentation and their “Dalmore dye” approach Puts me off.
Only tried the 12 and 15 but both at 40% a colour Ronseal would struggle to replicate.

just can’t get away with Dalmore, their over reliance on presentation and their “Dalmore dye” approach Puts me off.
Only tried the 12 and 15 but both at 40% a colour Ronseal would struggle to replicate.
Same for me I think you can actually taste the caramel and its filtered to death too

Must admit I much prefer a whisky at 46% or above so you know it's non chill filtered, and once I hear one has colouring in it puts me right off. Take the Bowmore 15 (Darkest) for example, I was after one of those for a while but was waiting for it to come on a deal, found out it was coloured and I've never bothered even though it's been on a few deals since.

Must admit I much prefer a whisky at 46% or above so you know it's non chill filtered, and once I hear one has colouring in it puts me right off. Take the Bowmore 15 (Darkest) for example, I was after one of those for a while but was waiting for it to come on a deal, found out it was coloured and I've never bothered even though it's been on a few deals since.

Bowmore Brown is a shade I bet you can get made up by paint suppliers ;)

Glen Scotia Campbeltown Harbour on offer at Waitrose for £25 is bang average, a few years ago this would never have been marketed as a Single Malt, I won't be buying it again
I won't be pouring it down the drain as I've not got a massive stash, saving it as the final dram of my evening.
Lovely stuff 👍
Find that with a lot of bottles if you have a dram or two out then leave it a while it opens up much better
I've noticed that with quite a few Malts, I think it may be because they rush stuff onto the market when its not really ready

Last edited:
I've noticed that with quite a few Malts, I think it may be because they rush stuff onto the market when its not really ready
There is obviously a lot more younger whisky on the shelves these days as distilleries are knocking out NAS's left, right and centre to keep up with demand (as well as to profiteer of course). However it once happened to me with a 15 year old from one of favourite distilleries, Benromach.

I'm such a massive fan of the 10 (an outstanding dram, if you haven't tried it you should) so I'd built the 15 up to be something possibly heavenly in my mind. But when I eventually got myself a bottle and got round to opening it I was massively let down, I kept going back to it and trying to love it but I just didn't. However when there was little more than a dram left in the bottle I randomly poured it one night just to finish it off, and it was like I'd tasted it for the first time. It was stunning, I was absolutely gutted that I didn't have owt left :lol:

It's tough to explain but like I say I think I'd built it into something in my mind and it was only once those expectations had gone altogether that I was able to actually taste and enjoy it for what it was....

Last edited:
There is obviously a lot more younger whisky on the shelves these days as distilleries are knocking out NAS's left, right and centre to keep up with demand (as well as to profiteer of course). However it once happened to me with a 15 year old from one of favourite distilleries, Benromach.

I'm such a massive fan of the 10 (an outstanding dram, if you haven't tried it you should) so I'd built the 15 up to be something possibly heavenly in my mind. But when I eventually got myself a bottle and got round to opening it I was massively let down, I kept going back to it and trying to love it but I just didn't. However when there was little more than a dram left in the bottle I randomly poured it one night just to finish it off, and it was like I'd tasted it for the first time. It was stunning, I was absolutely gutted that I didn't have owt left :lol:

It's tough to explain but like I say I think I'd built it into something in my mind and it was only once those expectations had gone altogether that I was able to actually taste and enjoy it for what it was....
Similar story on Benromach. Love the 10. got another bottle at 61% cask strength. I've half a bottle left, been tinkering about with it like Goldilocks for a couple of months adding various amount of water with little success. Went back to it last night, had a few, it was lovely all the way from straight to well watered.

I recently finished a 35yo Benromach which was excellent but boy was it fragile - couldn’t take a drop of water - possibly partially due to the 43% abv. Was a lot cheaper on release than it is now sadly, so unlikely I’ll ever get another bottle.

The Benromach Peat Smoke isnt bad for a cheap easy drinker.

I recently finished a 35yo Benromach which was excellent but boy was it fragile - couldn’t take a drop of water - possibly partially due to the 43% abv. Was a lot cheaper on release than it is now sadly, so unlikely I’ll ever get another bottle.

The Benromach Peat Smoke isnt bad for a cheap easy drinker.

agree about the peat smoke Benromach… good value

Given the sheer amount of malts you have, how the hell do you decide what you choose to drink on any given night ?
Nice problem to have mind :lol:

Similar story on Benromach. Love the 10. got another bottle at 61% cask strength. I've half a bottle left, been tinkering about with it like Goldilocks for a couple of months adding various amount of water with little success. Went back to it last night, had a few, it was lovely all the way from straight to well watered.
I've had bottles of the new cask strength and the peat smoke sherry cask and loved them both. Whilst punchy as owt once they hit you they're unmistakably Benromach, and in fact the only cask strength whisky's I've enjoyed completely neat to this day. I've got a bottle of their 1976 too, will have to be a really special occasion before I open that one...

Logon or register to see this image

agree about the peat smoke Benromach… good value

Given the sheer amount of malts you have, how the hell do you decide what you choose to drink on any given night ?
Nice problem to have mind :lol:

Usually I pick one, the wife picks one and the other is a random. Going to have to work through some of the sample bottles we have as there were over 400 at last count.

I've had bottles of the new cask strength and the peat smoke sherry cask and loved them both. Whilst punchy as owt once they hit you they're unmistakably Benromach, and in fact the only cask strength whisky's I've enjoyed completely neat to this day. I've got a bottle of their 1976 too, will have to be a really special occasion before I open that one...

Logon or register to see this image

It's a fantastic dram, ratchets up the orange fruit and slight aniseed you expect from Benromach. Only minor knock for me was a slight woody bitterness on the finish which meant it was a little drying. Really splitting hairs though, delicious.

Usually I pick one, the wife picks one and the other is a random. Going to have to work through some of the sample bottles we have as there were over 400 at last count.

It's a fantastic dram, ratchets up the orange fruit and slight aniseed you expect from Benromach. Only minor knock for me was a slight woody bitterness on the finish which meant it was a little drying. Really splitting hairs though, delicious.

jesus wept :lol:

started buying some "drinks by the dram" on Master of Malt.
Obviously not cost effective when compared to a full size bottle, but they are a way of trying stuff it would be hard to get hold of, or seeing if you like before buying.
Just put some in my basket including some TBWC Linkwood and Craigellachie

jesus wept :lol:

started buying some "drinks by the dram" on Master of Malt.
Obviously not cost effective when compared to a full size bottle, but they are a way of trying stuff it would be hard to get hold of, or seeing if you like before buying.
Just put some in my basket including some TBWC Linkwood and Craigellachie
Craigellachie 23 is meant to be fantastic, been keeping an eye on auction sites but it rarely goes for under £200, it's currently £345 on Amazon and I don't fancy paying that. Recently ordered this of theirs though, seems a bargain with the Glencairn included.

As for those tasters, there's a couple I wanna try but it's usually the older/rarer ones that take my fancy and I can't convince myself to part with up to £70 for a 3cl dram :lol:

Craigellachie 23 is meant to be fantastic, been keeping an eye on auction sites but it rarely goes for under £200, it's currently £345 on Amazon and I don't fancy paying that. Recently ordered this of theirs though, seems a bargain with the Glencairn included.

As for those tasters, there's a couple I wanna try but it's usually the older/rarer ones that take my fancy and I can't convince myself to part with up to £70 for a 3cl dram :lol:

I have the 23yo, it's very good. If you ever see them in a bar, the exceptional casks series Craigellachies are definitely worth a try. I've had 4 out of around a dozen that have been released and they're sublime. Price per bottle, not so much.

My biggest Whisky regret was not buying a 33yr bottle for £550 at Manchester airport when it was released a few yr back, it had just won loads of awards but I just didn't have the funds at the time, it's silly money now

Would love to go out and get a decent whisky.
Top tip in these hard times...if you want two bottles for the price of one? Put one in your basket and another in your coat pocket.👍

My biggest Whisky regret was not buying a 33yr bottle for £550 at Manchester airport when it was released a few yr back, it had just won loads of awards but I just didn't have the funds at the time, it's silly money now

Similar story to the 31yo once Jim Murray proclaimed Whisky of the Year a couple of years ago

Back