Whisky

Our lass has a click and collect sorted for NYE so we'd have had a right f***ing ruck for no apparent reason but for your post. Thanks.

the one they have is decent and not bad value at £25...just not as good as the 12, though I believe it was intended initially as a partial replacement for it initially.

Another question.....
How wee is a wee dram?
In say, a glencairn glass, how far would you fill it it you were tasting a few different ones, compared to having a few of the same one?
I have other questions, but one at a time...

Another question.....
How wee is a wee dram?
In say, a glencairn glass, how far would you fill it it you were tasting a few different ones, compared to having a few of the same one?

a dram you would get at a whisky tasting is often...but not always minute.
While google suggests a dram is something like three millilitres often a dram, certainly in the Uk is referred to as being approx 25ml...which is a single UK measure.

if tasting a few different ones I’d guess it depends how many.....if trying say 8 to 10 for example you might want smaller measures than if trying three or four and wanting to spend time with them and possibly adding water.

Of course if trying someone else’s very expensive or rare stuff you wouldn’t be expecting 5 cl pours :lol:

far from an expert and sure others can chip in

A dram doesn’t have a formal definition. Licenced premises in the UK are permitted to sell spirits in either 25ml or 35ml measures - whichever one it is has to be clearly stated. Most offer the more miserly of the two. In the US a standard measure is 44ml.

A dram doesn’t have a formal definition. Licenced premises in the UK are permitted to sell spirits in either 25ml or 35ml measures - whichever one it is has to be clearly stated. Most offer the more miserly of the two. In the US a standard measure is 44ml.

was making a mint julep over the festive period for me and mother in law...recipe stated 90 ml ( a smidge under an American “double”)

had me wondering if for one or two given it worked out at just under a quadruple in UK measures.
In the end just made it with 100ml per cocktail. Bourbon used was wild Turkey 101 so after a few of those I got some peace from her :lol:

was making a mint julep over the festive period for me and mother in law...recipe stated 90 ml ( a smidge under an American “double”)

had me wondering if for one or two given it worked out at just under a quadruple in UK measures.
In the end just made it with 100ml per cocktail. Bourbon used was wild Turkey 101 so after a few of those I got some peace from her :lol:

The US obviously still uses imperial measurements and measure pours using a 1.5 ounce jigger which equates to about 44ml.

Another question.....
How wee is a wee dram?

I use a 25ml shot glass to measure and usually go to or just below the line if I'm pouring one just to taste. 25ml isn't an overwhelming amount to drink in one go and is a nice 'two sip' measurement.

Another question.....
How wee is a wee dram?
If I was tasting 4 or 5 I'd go 25ml. Double that and I'd only go about 15ml. Don't forget to have some ice cold water to hand to cleanse the palate between each dram

Don’t take the piss out of me please. I’m an absolute novice with Whisky. I’m looking to find a nice one to have straight. I find JD too harsh to drink straight. I love the taste of Jameson’s with a coke.

I have a few Jim beams, Johnny walkers and Japanese ones to stick in the cabinet.

What would everyone recommend a novice like me to have for drinking straight that will be smooth and not harsh or as I say ‘ like petrol ‘? Cheers

Don’t take the piss out of me please. I’m an absolute novice with Whisky. I’m looking to find a nice one to have straight. I find JD too harsh to drink straight. I love the taste of Jameson’s with a coke.

I have a few Jim beams, Johnny walkers and Japanese ones to stick in the cabinet.

What would everyone recommend a novice like me to have for drinking straight that will be smooth and not harsh or as I say ‘ like petrol ‘? Cheers

Woodford Reserve is easy to drink, bourbon

Not sure on scotch as I prefer the peated ones. Maybe Aberlour 12

Back