Whisky

Don’t take the piss out of me please. I’m an absolute novice with Whisky. I’m looking to find a nice one to have straight. I find JD too harsh to drink straight. I love the taste of Jameson’s with a coke.

I have a few Jim beams, Johnny walkers and Japanese ones to stick in the cabinet.

What would everyone recommend a novice like me to have for drinking straight that will be smooth and not harsh or as I say ‘ like petrol ‘? Cheers
Has been asked a few times and the same suspects keep getting mentioned which you cannot go wrong with if your on a budget , arran 10 , bunnahabhain,12 glengoyne 12 or edradour 10 and I'd agree with Dennis above on the bourbon Woodford is a canny sipper for the price, and Japanese on a budget would for me be nikka from the barrel or coffey malt

Last edited:

Don’t take the piss out of me please. I’m an absolute novice with Whisky. I’m looking to find a nice one to have straight. I find JD too harsh to drink straight. I love the taste of Jameson’s with a coke.

I have a few Jim beams, Johnny walkers and Japanese ones to stick in the cabinet.

What would everyone recommend a novice like me to have for drinking straight that will be smooth and not harsh or as I say ‘ like petrol ‘? Cheers
Welcome. I am also a novice. It's rather a case of trial and error but the easiest drinkers tend to be those from the Speyside region.

Whatever you buy, don’t be afraid to add water if you’re finding the alcohol overwhelming even if it’s something with a 40% abv. Additionally, on your initial sip, swill the whisky around your mouth both to maximise the flavour and to coat your mouth. If you do this correctly, you shouldn’t get any burning sensation on subsequent sips.

The alcohol is rarely well integrated into baseline whiskies which is why they tend to be rougher to drink.

I thought Ben raich was very mild.

Arran 10, Benromach 10, Bunnahabhain 12, Tobermory 12.

4 amazing drams that suit any palate whether beginner or not 👍

Ben Bracken Speyside from lidl. Low cost but offers a lot of taste and a very smooth drink. It was the recommendation in this thread earlier this year which really big me back in to whisky

Back