Which Hikes or climbs do you have planned?

I've never been but I believe the army base at Warcop use it for training, so you can only visit it a handful of weekends throughout the year
thats right, well sort of. In actual fact they never use it but you are only allowed up there for a few brief periods . Finding out when isn't easy .

thats right, well sort of. In actual fact they never use it but you are only allowed up there for a few brief periods . Finding out when isn't easy .
I always drive past it on the way to and from the Lakes and I didn't realise it's classed as being in County Durham, wouldn't mind actually going up there, done Cross Fell and Great Dun Fell in that area which were both pretty good.

I always drive past it on the way to and from the Lakes and I didn't realise it's classed as being in County Durham, wouldn't mind actually going up there, done Cross Fell and Great Dun Fell in that area which were both pretty good.
I've done cross fell 3 times in fab weather . It took me 3 attempts at High Cup Nick until I completed it . I do it every year now, but it's getting longer . I can see HCN and MF from our house as a matter of fact . I had a go at CF about 20 years ago but the tusset grass got the better of me .

Aye , I was sick of the nagging going uphill so off I went ,getting back to the car 5 minutes before her was maybe a little mistake 😂
Aye, don't they just love it when you leave them for the vultures ? I did that that to our lass on a long coastal walk in Spain . She turned up about an hour later with 2 jorman blerks who were carrying her gear . 🥵

heading back to the UK in a couple of weeks and looking to replace a pair of gore tex hiking shoes. what's the best shop(s) to check out?
Will probably head to Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle while i'm there so location is not too much of an issue.
currently have a very old pair of La Sportiva's (sole falling apart). don't really hike to be fair but looking for a waterproof, mid-cut boot/shoe that i can use when i'm out in the bush, around ski areas and even watching my kids play football on a wet & cold sunday morning.

Last edited:
heading back to the UK in a couple of weeks and looking to replace a pair of gore tex hiking shoes. what's the best shop(s) to check out?
Will probably head to Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle while i'm there so location is not too much of an issue.
currently have a very old pair of La Sportiva's (sole falling apart). don't really hike to be fair but looking for a waterproof, mid-cut boot/shoe that i can use when i'm out in the bush, around ski areas and even watching my kids play football on a wet & cold sunday morning.

I always find blacks and millets(same company) always have good deals online but I know blacks have a store in the metro centre.

Last edited:
walked from south hylton to durham on saturday. 15.5 miles, along the river where we could. absolutely class

Logon or register to see this image

the bit from Finchale Abbey to durham was a bit sketchy in places, wasn't really a path and had to climb over a few fences and jump across a few streams

the weather was perfect. ground was hard too, so didn't get too scruffy

walked from south hylton to durham on saturday. 15.5 miles, along the river where we could. absolutely class

the bit from Finchale Abbey to durham was a bit sketchy in places, wasn't really a path and had to climb over a few fences and jump across a few streams

the weather was perfect. ground was hard too, so didn't get too scruffy
My mate use to rent in that house .Some canny parties circa 2001

Back