Which Hikes or climbs do you have planned?

Just got back down from Great Crag and Ullscarf….what a day. Parked at Watendlath and set off for Great Crag in intermittent light drizzle but very warm. Soon got to the top, well under the cloud base so the views into Borrowdale were eerily fantastic.

Then it went wet, very wet. There’s a path to Dock Tarn which is stunning, after that it’s then a pathless slog across the fell. Not even the sheeptrods gave any respite from the slog. The whole of the fell leading to the slopes of Ullscarf are pretty much a marsh, before long my boots were overloaded with water.

As I got higher i hit the cloud base and the rain. That horrible rain the penetrates everything, coupled with it being humid I was drenched inside out. But on I plodded.

Eventually I hit the broad ridge line of Ullscarf, the views would have been stunning but I had none. Ullscarf itself in these conditions is one of those totally uninspiring hills, a really shit small cairn and bogs.

I headed back down with the idea of going up Armboth Fell but I was getting pretty knackered at this point so followed the fence line down to Blea Tarn…..it was literally traipsing through water. The path down to Watendlath seems to take forever to appear.

Eventually it did and by fuck, I hate these short steep descents. My left knee decided to remind me it existed at this point with sharp pains. The stone path was sloppy as hell. One thing I noticed was a sign saying there’s fell repair work sponsored by the EU which was nice to see. Couldn’t help but think of a politics forum thread but then quickly put that nonsense out of my head.

Got back down to the car soaked to the bone but very happy. Covered 6 1/2miles with approx 2000ft of ascent, not bad for two of the smaller fells.

All in all, cracking walk, throughly enjoyed it.
That sounds like every bad day I've had in the Lakes rolled into one :D Good luck to you for enjoying it.

Finish off the Pennine Way in September, Byrness to Kirk Yetholm. I did the Bellingham to Byrness stretch the other week when it was 30+ degrees and had to abort the following days walk from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm due to the forecast of intense heat. Mind you on reflection I think 27 miles would've been too much, even on a cool day, so going to do the last stretch over 2 days, 15 miles each day.

Did the Ring of Steall on Friday.
Still aching now.
Get in!!!! How was it? How long did it take? Are the ridges are hairy as what I’ve been told?

Theo is definitely on my list to do, even just because of the name, Ring of Steall, sounds class doesn’t it
200 left🤣

I only get over the a few times a year, mainly Christmas and new year. Although been over April and June as well this year. Only really got into it after doing old man with my nephew who hikes pretty much every weekend in snowdonia.

I think I under estimated the straight up hellvellyn from Thirlmere climb. Was a killer! although coming down the other way was more gradual and I haven’t got the balls to do bad ridges.

Good luck knocking them off and I’m enjoying reading the craic on your big adventure thread.
Cheers mate, for all the adventure has started doesn’t feel like it’s kicked in properly yet, one more trip back to Witton to empty the house and then it’ll feel more ‘real’….I think.

Funny thing about those ridges in the lakes, once you get more experience the popular ridges aren’t as bad as what folk make out. Still got to be careful but they’re definitely doable.

Last edited:
Get in!!!! How was it? How long did it take? Are the ridges are hairy as what I’ve been told?

Theo is definitely on my list to do, even just because of the name, Ring of Steall, sounds class doesn’t it

Cheers mate, for all the adventure has started doesn’t feel like it’s kicked in properly yet, one more trip back to Witton to empty the house and then it’ll feel more ‘real’….I think.

Funny thing about those ridges in the lakes, once you get more experience the popular ridges aren’t as bad as what folk make out. Still got to be careful but they’re definitely doable.
It was tough and a slog. Took about 10 hours. The ridges were nothing to worry about.
Hardly anybody up only saw 6 people going our way and one crazy jock who was doing 10 munro's in the same day going the other way.

Alternative to the horseshoe is to drop down from Robinson to Buttermere, couple or more pints in the pub & get the bus back 😎

Dropped off Robinson at the top of Newlands pass once and because it was lashing down decided to hitch hike back to Stair , not one driver would stop funnily enough.

Even me shreddies were soaked through by the time I got back.

Back