Which Championship Manager game was the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

97/98 for me but I can't get it working on windows 7.

Got to be this for me.

Was the one that really got me into the series, though i've actually played them all just to see how the game developed over the years.

I loved the fact it was like it'd been made for the partially sighted - the buttons were HUGE.

Me & a few mates found an editor that could adjust league sizes - 7 of us playing an 8 team belgian premier league with one 'wonderkid' each and our own transfer system that stopped one team getting all of the known talent. Awesome fun, iirc 1st = CL, 2nd CL Qual, 3rd UEFA 4th UEFA, 5th Nothing, 6th & 7th = religation playoff, 8th = religation.

Never a dull moment in that league :-D

Whichever one was the last one to have no transfer windows. Tonton Zola, Cherno, Kim kallstrom

01/02 - as mentioned on the thread it is still going and kept alive by an online community. I haven't had much luck installing it recently so I stopped, but it's still fantastic for absolutely free.

For the best game in its day, then CM93 by absolutely miles. It was so so so much better than anything that came before it.

After that, the trend was "the last version of each game" was the best. So 01/02 for CM3 and 03/04 for CM4 were both topper. I think 03/04 is a better game than 01/02 now, but the "scene" for 01/02 is amazing - they've patched it to remove the bugs, and they maintain a current database, which is superb really.

fm14, gets better every year, its us as people who change

Exactly. The game gets better every year, people are far too sentimental about the old Champ Mans and I've played the lot.

Also I favour fm 14 as I got bought out by a billionaire after the first season with the lads. :lol: It's 2018 and I have 2 prem titles, 1 league cup, 1 FA cup and one CL title. Also got the SOL expanded to 64k :)

97/98 for me, if I could get it running on windows 7 I would still play it now.

Dosbox, its dead easy.[DOUBLEPOST=1393152309][/DOUBLEPOST]
Exactly. The game gets better every year, people are far too sentimental about the old Champ Mans and I've played the lot.

Also I favour fm 14 as I got bought out by a billionaire after the first season with the lads. :lol: It's 2018 and I have 2 prem titles, 1 league cup, 1 FA cup and one CL title. Also got the SOL expanded to 64k :)

So you prefer the one that you win on? Nice.

What was the problem. I'm going to guess it said not enough RAM?

Can't remember mate. I have a new laptop since I tried like so could try it again. No doubt I will play it for half an hour then realise FM 14 is much netter.

Can't remember mate. I have a new laptop since I tried like so could try it again. No doubt I will play it for half an hour then realise FM 14 is much netter.

I'm sure I put 9798 on the other night for a laugh. Worked fine.

There was a bug in earlier versions where, if you had too MUCH RAM, it didn't understand, and crashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back