When Nirvana Came To Britain

My brother was at that gig, I was well jealous. Still remember his board with all the ticket stubs on, wish I'd been able to go but I was 15 and my step ma was very strict FFS.
With it being a Tuesday night it was a school day on Wednesday so there was no chance, grrr.
i always thought it was a thursday as they were on after totp? just asked the mrs and she thought the same.

saw them on totp then up to the mayfair. didn't get the attraction back then tbh. it was just a gig to go to.
I thought they were OK at the time but maybe a bit Indie for my tastes back then and there was a lot of competing bands for my limited resources so I gave it a miss. I actually preferred Screaming Trees and saw them at the Riverside and thought they were excellent.

Was at the Mayfair gig and thought they were absolutely class. But other people on here who were there thought it ordinary. Each to their own. I saw U2 at the Mayfair too and thought support band Comsat Angels blew Bono and pals away!

Was at the Mayfair gig and thought they were absolutely class. But other people on here who were there thought it ordinary. Each to their own. I saw U2 at the Mayfair too and thought support band Comsat Angels blew Bono and pals away!
I think what knocked the edge off for me was they'd done about 45 minutes then ended the set with a 7/8 minute jam thing with instruments being broken...a total rock cliche. Then no encore.

In retrospect that could sound pretty cool, but at the time it was 'Is that it then?, is it finished?'
i always thought it was a thursday as they were on after totp? just asked the mrs and she thought the same.
It makes me laugh when people talk about history from ancient times and I always say that I'm sure it can't be all that accurate due to the passage of time, the inaccuracy of how it's been recorded and all sorts of other factors.

Wind the clock back 30 years to 1991. Two people on a message board, one after consulting his wife, with all of the modern resources available to them, claim that a certain date was either a Thursday or Tuesday. One has even used the modern technology to verify his opinion..........both wrong........it was a Monday! Made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Documentary starting in a minute or two on BBC2 in a couple of minutes, should anyone be interested, followed by a Dave Grohl interview with Dermot O'Leary seemingly. Dermot is the interviewer.
They played The Riverside.

Me mate went cos of his entertainment connections.

Reckoned they were amazing.

Remember seeing an interview years ago with Charles Peterson & the last conversation he had with Kurt about a week before he died was how he wanted to buy a house in the Scottish highlands & basically become a recluse.
Obviously it never actually materialise but would have been preferential to what actually happened.
Or did it ;)
I sometimes like to think of what would have happened had the heroin not taken hold but I'm quite happy that Dave gets to be the one who hauls his arse around the globe playing the greatest hits, he has the mental capacity to do it. I don't think Kurt did. He opened a door he wasn't allowed to close again. Except in the only way he thought he could. Note for the kids, Smack not great for decision making.
Fair play to Grohl he could have chucked some Nirvana covers in the FF set list but those first two albums were great so he didn't have to.

I had Mollys Lips before Kurt did. I mean - like most of the C86 stuff it’s ok in a childlike nursery rhyme way but it’s hardly Beethoven’s Fifth

I think what knocked the edge off for me was they'd done about 45 minutes then ended the set with a 7/8 minute jam thing with instruments being broken...a total rock cliche. Then no encore.

In retrospect that could sound pretty cool, but at the time it was 'Is that it then?, is it finished?'

It makes me laugh when people talk about history from ancient times and I always say that I'm sure it can't be all that accurate due to the passage of time, the inaccuracy of how it's been recorded and all sorts of other factors.

Wind the clock back 30 years to 1991. Two people on a message board, one after consulting his wife, with all of the modern resources available to them, claim that a certain date was either a Thursday or Tuesday. One has even used the modern technology to verify his opinion..........both wrong........it was a Monday! Made me chuckle.
Her opinion, I'm a f***ing woman and told you this before.

according to this it was a thursday.
edit, no it wasn't. i'm looking at 2021 calendar.

I thought they were OK at the time but maybe a bit Indie for my tastes back then and there was a lot of competing bands for my limited resources so I gave it a miss. I actually preferred Screaming Trees and saw them at the Riverside and thought they were excellent.
Yep me too….i though the Pearl Jam record with “Alive” on it was better

Back