When Nirvana Came To Britain

Lot of parallels to Joy Division / New Order
Except that New Order were 1000 times better than Foo Fighters

Well, clearly. The fact that the remaining members of Joy Division somehow managed to keep going and become New Order, who were/are arguably better than Joy Division, is remarkable. I think Foo Fighters were happening irrespective of Kurt's death.

I think he had issues with fame and his level of comfortableness with it and tended to shy away. That documentary also focused heavily on Duglas T Stewart from BMX Bandits who, similarly, was a cracking songwriter but had more direct mental health issues. Both are people who should be a lot more widely known.

TBH, that's kind of a reflection of the indie/alt-rock scene in the early 90s. Kurt Cobain was probably the most important musician on the planet to 6% of us, known by another 6% and unknown to most until very close to his death.

I really like Dave Grohl, the man, but first album, maybe second to a degree, don't understand the appeal of Foo Fighters. Better than Maroon 5 though.
I wanted to like your post for the first half. Can't agree about the second though 😀 That's the great thing about music and musicians, there's something for everyone.

Watched it, great bit of TV and I'll still stand by the fact that Nirvana are one of my favourite bands of all time.
It's an utter tragedy how it all ended, if they could have stayed that band gigging round universities and the likes of the Mayfair it might not have done.
It really blew up quick, Kurt struggled to handle that tbh.
It was lovely to see dancing Tony again and the Vaselines, Kurt loved England and a lot of us "got them".
I don't think Dave or Kris ever got over Kurt's suicide, i just wish the man had got the help that he desperately needed.

Watched something on either BBC or Sky a while ago about Scottish music (particularly that from Bellshill). Kurt loved a band called Vaselines who later became Captain America and then Eugenius as Marvel made them change their name.
Teenage Superstars probably (sequel to Big Gold Dreams - both really good). Vaselines are class - saw them 4-5 years ago in NYC. Nirvana covered Molly's Lips (and possibly Son of a Gun...though I'm a bit unsure about that one)
Loves Trump these days sadly
That's extremely disappointing

Teenage Superstars probably (sequel to Big Gold Dreams - both really good). Vaselines are class - saw them 4-5 years ago in NYC. Nirvana covered Molly's Lips (and possibly Son of a Gun...though I'm a bit unsure about that one)

That's extremely disappointing
I'd heard Mollys Lips before but just assumed it was a Nirvana song 😀 Always a big fan of Teanage Fanclub.

Remember seeing an interview years ago with Charles Peterson & the last conversation he had with Kurt about a week before he died was how he wanted to buy a house in the Scottish highlands & basically become a recluse.
Obviously it never actually materialise but would have been preferential to what actually happened.

Kurt had a sad upbringing always wanted to be famous then it got too much for him very sad. Never saw them live unfortunately but saw slayer 57 times which was all good fun

Happens to a lot of bands where the hard slog before fame turns out to be the best time of their lives.

Fame means more money but more time doing things they hate.

The 90 minutes on stage is the escape. Happens to some footballers too.

Decent watch and I always get the impression that Grohl is bored to tears doing these interviews but at the same time, the whole backstory is interlinked with the Foo Foghters. If it wasn’t for one, the cash cow wouldn’t exist.

Just turned it on. Dave grohl always interviews well tbf
He's a nice bloke but too nice at times and I think sometimes he gives the answer we want to hear rather than truth
A really important band for me, and I’ve really enjoyed watching this. In Utero and Unplugged (as well as Nevermind) are really special records

Foo Fighters first record was good, they’ve bored the shit out of me since
Good singles band
Few of these " why didn't I go " bands down the years
You didn't for a reason ,what happened after doesn't turn an average gig great
Loved the Nirvana blip ,full mad dancefloors etc but it's just a memory now
Much prefer find new Nirvanas

Last edited:
Was at this gig in Dublin. Was their first arena gig, they’d postponed a gig in a tiny venue in Dublin 6 months earlier and smells like had broken in between so the venue was changed. He really didn’t want to be there and seemed put off by the size of the place.
teenage fanclub who were supporting blew them off the stage.
(it’s bizarre that a whole gig from 1992 is up on YouTube!)

Watched something on either BBC or Sky a while ago about Scottish music (particularly that from Bellshill). Kurt loved a band called Vaselines who later became Captain America and then Eugenius as Marvel made them change their name.
Not quite. Eugene Kelly was in the Vaselines, then Captain America who became Eugenius after the problem you mentioned. Eugenius supported Nirvana at Newcastle Mayfair with Shonen Knife.

Not quite. Eugene Kelly was in the Vaselines, then Captain America who became Eugenius after the problem you mentioned. Eugenius supported Nirvana at Newcastle Mayfair with Shonen Knife.

My brother was at that gig, I was well jealous. Still remember his board with all the ticket stubs on, wish I'd been able to go but I was 15 and my step ma was very strict FFS.
With it being a Tuesday night it was a school day on Wednesday so there was no chance, grrr.

My brother was at that gig, I was well jealous. Still remember his board with all the ticket stubs on, wish I'd been able to go but I was 15 and my step ma was very strict FFS.
With it being a Tuesday night it was a school day on Wednesday so there was no chance, grrr.
As someone mentioned earlier, it was just another gig to go to. They were very much 'on the up'' but from what I remember it wasn't a 'life-changing' gig or anything like that. A very entertaining midweek night out nonetheless and then on to whoever was on later in the week at The Riverside.
Correct, John Peel session track?

Last edited:

Back