When does Speakman's position become untenable?

You continue to make the excuse that he has f*cked up the recruitment because he hasn't had a lot to spend, what he has spent including the money from the sale of Stewart , Lhadji and others should and could of been spent strengthening areas of the squad that were needed, not gambling on players who might come good in a year or two.And to cover up his ineptitude sacked not one but two coach's. Yes KLD is the owner, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Speakman is pulling the strings and blaming others for his ineptitude.
I'm not defending Speakmans mainly abject, recent recruitment, but what I will point out is that he won't have been given the full amount of money raised from the Lihadji & Stewart sales, as most transfer fees are nowadays paid in installments over a period of time.

In all probability, up to now, we're like to have received only a couple of million quid from the two transfer deals, with the remainder of the fees to be paid at a later date.

Having said that, I fully endorse the arrogant so & so (KS) being publicly flogged & boiled in oil, in the grounds of the fans museum, at any given home game.

I'm not defending Speakmans mainly abject, recent recruitment, but what I will point out is that he won't have been given the full amount of money raised from the Lihadji & Stewart sales, as most transfer fees are nowadays paid in installments over a period of time.

In all probability, up to now, we're like to have received only a couple of million quid from the two transfer deals, with the remainder of the fees to be paid at a later date.

Having said that, I fully endorse the arrogant so & so (KS) being publicly flogged & boiled in oil, in the grounds of the fans museum, at any given home game.
That might add a couple of thousand to the gate

Count me in :lol:

Academy Director? You sure!

How have we been doing without Ballard and Clarke at X1 level?
X1?

Poorly. They are key players, clearly. My point was that Speakman from KLD point of view is likely meeting his brief of sustainability pretty well, so is likely not going anywhere - I was not saying that the players we have fit at the moment are performing well.

If KLD really gives a fuck then surely another few more defeats which would take us even closer to the relegation zone, he's got to be questioning his top man? Or does he wait till the end of the season and see what league we'll be in?
I think the owner should be having a hard look at Speakman right now. He started off well but the last three transfer windows have been dismal. Almost like they are searching young players signing a few and hoping for the best. The model stopped working when they got rid of Bath and then Pritchard, anyone can see the team needs some experience, even KLD.

To me, we're at the point where the squad is already overloaded with "prospects". A Clarke sale in the summer should have us re-investing it in at least 3 players who are ready to start immediately.

If we sell him and then don't get enough quality in to improve the starting 11 then his position has to be untenable. If the money dissapears in the meantime then we know the real problem is above him.

Academy Director? You sure!

How have we been doing without Ballard and Clarke at X1 level?
dan ashworth started as an academy director..never played pro football..
they tend to either work in the analysis department (like edwards at liverpool or winstanley at chelsea) or be academy people..

To me, we're at the point where the squad is already overloaded with "prospects". A Clarke sale in the summer should have us re-investing it in at least 3 players who are ready to start immediately.

If we sell him and then don't get enough quality in to improve the starting 11 then his position has to be untenable. If the money dissapears in the meantime then we know the real problem is above him.
I have no faith that the powers that be, will change our transfer blueprint, to bring in quality, Championship ready, replacements.

Because KLD is so keen to keep pushing the sustainability angle, he'll probably continue to put his trust in KS, to bring in even more, cheap & cheerful, inexperienced kids, in a bid to try to unearth another diamond, like Clarke.

I have no faith that the powers that be, will change our transfer blueprint, to bring in quality, Championship ready, replacements.

Because KLD is so keen to keep pushing the sustainability angle, he'll probably continue to put his trust in KS, to bring in even more, cheap & cheerful, inexperienced kids, in a bid to try to unearth another diamond, like Clarke.
You can still be sustainable and bring in a more ready player. To me once we bring in a big fee the "model" needs to adapt a bit, we can afford to buy some ready to go players in their early 20s.

You can still be sustainable and bring in a more ready player. To me once we bring in a big fee the "model" needs to adapt a bit, we can afford to buy some ready to go players in their early 20s.
I totally agree.
The model, according to KS, IS flexible, and not as rigid as many seem to think it is.
He said older & more experienced players can be brought into the squad, though ONLY, if he thinks those players will benefit the squad and if those players are comfortable playing the style of football we play.

The baffling thing is, we HAD experienced players already at the club (Batth, Gooch, Pritchard) who benefitted the squad, AND they were comfortable playing the style of football we played, up until recently, yet all three have now left the club, and we're weaker & poorer for their absence, imo.

The actual state of the squad man. As soon as Clarke was out, our goal scoring threat was gone and now, a couple of centre halves fucked and we have no-one. Not to mention the fullback situation - signing Pembele and who still isn’t fit to play 8 months later along with perma crocks Alese and Huggins.
If Dreyfus isn’t asking serious questions of his performance, he seriously doesn’t give a shite about SAFC.
The sustainability and 5 year plan bollocks really has been swallowed hole by plenty.
If sustainability means not signing a first team striker for over 2 years and getting rid of every bit of experience from the squad then I think I’ll pass, thank you.

Last edited:
Speakmans arrival

In a statement to confirm the former Birmingham academy boss' appointment Sunderland described his role as leading the club's "overall football programme, including player identification, development and acquisitions across the first team and academy.

He will "take primary responsibility for reviewing and implementing new strategies to develop the club’s footballing infrastructure, with an emphasis on data analytics and innovation, and providing a clear pathway from the younger age groups to the first team".

Reflecting on his appointment at Sunderland, he said: "I have been tasked with delivering a best-in-class player development model from the academy through to the senior squad and given a realistic timeframe and budget with which to do so. The blueprint for the future and the ambition to create a sustainable structure with a clear identity is one I will work diligently and passionately to bring to fruition for Sunderland fans. I’m grateful for the autonomy granted me by the ownership group to pursue this plan and create something we can all be proud of. The task of appointing a head coach who is both aligned to the overall plan and capable of impacting the team’s performance and style in the immediate weeks and months is a priority above all else”.

He then got Lee Johnson

Looking at these permanent transfers in 2024
makes you wonder how he’s still in a job.

Nectarios Triantis20Central Coast
Jobe Bellingham17Birmingham City
Luis Semedo19Benfica
Bradley Dack29Blackburn
Eliezer Mayenda18Sochaux
Nathan Bishop23Manchester United
Nazariy Rusyn24Zorya Luhansk
Timothee Pembele20PSG
Adil Aouchiche21Lorient
Leo Hjelde20Leeds United
Romaine Mundle20Standard Liege

How many of those have made any sort of positive impact on the first team squad this season?

Speakmans arrival

In a statement to confirm the former Birmingham academy boss' appointment Sunderland described his role as leading the club's "overall football programme, including player identification, development and acquisitions across the first team and academy.

He will "take primary responsibility for reviewing and implementing new strategies to develop the club’s footballing infrastructure, with an emphasis on data analytics and innovation, and providing a clear pathway from the younger age groups to the first team".

Reflecting on his appointment at Sunderland, he said: "I have been tasked with delivering a best-in-class player development model from the academy through to the senior squad and given a realistic timeframe and budget with which to do so. The blueprint for the future and the ambition to create a sustainable structure with a clear identity is one I will work diligently and passionately to bring to fruition for Sunderland fans. I’m grateful for the autonomy granted me by the ownership group to pursue this plan and create something we can all be proud of. The task of appointing a head coach who is both aligned to the overall plan and capable of impacting the team’s performance and style in the immediate weeks and months is a priority above all else”.

He then got Lee Johnson
There's the accountability - right there.

Back