What's the Shortest Amount of Time You've Spent in a Job?

10 years ago I could walk out of one job and into another within a week. Didn't need to worry about stuff like that. Not these days like.

The job I have now, they told a canny few porkies about what the job would actually be like, and after the first few days I was convinced I'd made a mistake.

But now having been in the job for a good few months I realise that the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's the best job I've ever had.

Less than 3 weeks . Was due to work 1 weekend on/one off and have a Monday off during the week. Did my first week training mon-fri, 2nd week was in the weekend so 7 days (that Monday off I was told in my interview? Don't be silly!!) then half way through the second week was asked if I would work my weekend off. So I'd end up doing 26 days without a day off. Because I was still within 28 days I went home after my last call, wrote my notice and took it up to the office and told them where to go.

3 days working for some debt collection agency (forget the name) based in an office just off Timber Beach Road in Castletown.

It involved being penned into an office with a load of scratters and literally calling up businesses from the yellow pages and asking if they need my employer to chase any bad debts from customers, suppliers and the like. God it was awful.

The job I have now, they told a canny few porkies about what the job would actually be like, and after the first few days I was convinced I'd made a mistake.

But now having been in the job for a good few months I realise that the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's the best job I've ever had.
Been through a few rough patches in my job, including me walking out. Love it now, just wish I could get paid on time.

Less than 3 weeks . Was due to work 1 weekend on/one off and have a Monday off during the week. Did my first week training mon-fri, 2nd week was in the weekend so 7 days (that Monday off I was told in my interview? Don't be silly!!) then half way through the second week was asked if I would work my weekend off. So I'd end up doing 26 days without a day off. Because I was still within 28 days I went home after my last call, wrote my notice and took it up to the office and told them where to go.

Sound legal that marra :lol::lol: 26 days ffs I struggle to put a full week in these days.

I've wrapped it in twice within a month. Firstly was when I was 20, started working as a "mechanical engineer" at this place in Shildon, basically had me feeding metal into a machine all day everyday, I'm sure I was allergic to the lubricants they were using too as I was sneezing constantly. Went to Magaluf after 3 weeks (they knew this when offering me the job) and never went back. Fuck that, by far the worst job I've ever had.

Second one was only a year or so ago, working for 3 weeks at BT in Middlesbrough, inbound customer service so constantly getting screamed at for the company taking more than they should have, getting bills wrong, engineers not turning up numerous times, basically. I went in one day with a hangover, lasted 20 minutes into my first call, just took of my headset, grabbed my stuff and fucked off. Pretty sure this job was advertised with having OTE / targeted earnings too however that ended up being a pack of lies.

Sound legal that marra :lol::lol: 26 days ffs I struggle to put a full week in these days.

I've wrapped it in twice within a month. Firstly was when I was 20, started working as a "mechanical engineer" at this place in Shildon, basically had me feeding metal into a machine all day everyday, I'm sure I was allergic to the lubricants they were using too as I was sneezing constantly. Went to Magaluf after 3 weeks (they knew this when offering me the job) and never went back. Fuck that, by far the worst job I've ever had.

Second one was only a year or so ago, working for 3 weeks at BT in Middlesbrough, inbound customer service so constantly getting screamed at for the company taking more than they should have, getting bills wrong, engineers not turning up numerous times, basically. I went in one day with a hangover, lasted 20 minutes into my first call, just took of my headset, grabbed my stuff and fucked off. Pretty sure this job was advertised with having OTE / targeted earnings too however that ended up being a pack of lies.

Home care work , I'm not sure the job really was for me tbh. I did enjoy it, but asking me to work my first weekend off I thought fuck it. If it's like that now CBA to find out what it'll be like wh n it gets worse :lol:. Plus only being paid for 24 hours a week when you were basically on the go between 8am-8pm 7 days a week ...na

3 days on a contract role in Cambridge.

First day they introduced me round he office in a totally different role I had interviewed for, and for which I had next to no experience. By day 3 I realised they were all fuckwits who hadn't a clue what they were doing (and charging the end client a shitload of money). I emailed the project manager titling it 'Why did you hire me' and was asked next morning if I wanted to leave.

'Yes I do' - and by the time I got back to my desk someone had already taken away my supplied laptop as if they knew I was out!!

Mind it took me 7 weeks to find my next contract so perhaps not the best financial decision.

3 days working for some debt collection agency (forget the name) based in an office just off Timber Beach Road in Castletown.

It involved being penned into an office with a load of scratters and literally calling up businesses from the yellow pages and asking if they need my employer to chase any bad debts from customers, suppliers and the like. God it was awful.
not a good salesman like?

Didn't really involve sales per se. If it had, I'd have done better.

My next P60 will show betwixt £45k and £48k so my sales technique isn't that bad, to be fair.
sounds like you were onboarding new clients. more biz dev?

if your p60 is showing that, sounds like you need a new accountant ;)

About two minutes. One Friday morning we Walked into a shopfit in king st, Hammersmith to do what was according to an agency six weeks work. The carpets were down, walls painted, desks coming through the door.
Site agent wasn't happy with the agency for lying to us and begged us to stay. But when we asked would you? He shut up.
Called the agency lad a **** and threatened to come up to their office on the way home.
His boss rang to apologise as we were on the way there. They got us a Monday start on better money so we went home, showered changed and got on it when they opened.

Three weeks. I was employed as a 'Production Planning Assistant' at a frozen food factory which involved sitting in an office with no windows infilling information into spreadsheets. I hated it and when an alternative job offer which was in the pipeline before I started the job I hated came along, I jumped at the opportunity for less money because it was more in line with my preferred career route.

Back