What's the Shortest Amount of Time You've Spent in a Job?

About 5 months , first job I had engineer apprenticeship, f***ing hated it. No idea why I thought it might be my thing, dad saying get a trade I suppose. No aptitude at all couldn't even fix my own bike at the time. :lol:

About 5 minutes, started decided it was going to be shite and rapped in, I didn't want to waste anymore time than I already had.

3 days. Hated it from the second I walked in. It was a sea of paperwork in a dull shit office with dull people. Phoned my old manager and asked to go back if my old position was still available. Luckily I was good at the job so she said aye. Took the Thursday and Friday off as holiday and was back to my old job on the Monday.

6 weeks.

Interview: "You'll be based in our Paddington office but we've got some keep people based out near Heathrow Airport who you'll need to go and see fairly regularly. We've got a shuttle bus that takes you door to door any time of day so it shouldn't be a problem."

First day: "This is [Cockney Mackem], he's going to be based full time in our office near Heathrow Airport, oh sorry didn't we tell you? Oh never mind it's only a three hour drive each way from your house"

6 weeks.

Interview: "You'll be based in our Paddington office but we've got some keep people based out near Heathrow Airport who you'll need to go and see fairly regularly. We've got a shuttle bus that takes you door to door any time of day so it shouldn't be a problem."

First day: "This is [Cockney Mackem], he's going to be based full time in our office near Heathrow Airport, oh sorry didn't we tell you? Oh never mind it's only a three hour drive each way from your house"

Could you not have flown in?

Second shortest 8 weeks.

"So before you joined we decided with some people who had no idea what they were talking about that one of the projects you're going to work on should only take 10 weeks to complete. I know you've provided us with some compelling reasons why that isn't possible, namely that no one in the history of the industry has done it in less than nine months and due to a reorganisation that we all knew about, no one's going to be available to make any decisions for six months. Nonetheless, we've got some great PowerPoint slides from the external consultants that say otherwise so we'll expect you to meet the impossible plan and spend about a year reporting to us on a weekly basis as to why you are behind schedule"

Think it was about 18 month. Enjoyed the job but it was part time. Other than that I've had 4 years and 8 years at other places, and I'm up to 3 years here.

I tend to stick around. Last job was a week short of ten years (stubbornly leaving to avoid an excruciating ten year service award presentation and missing out on a few hundred quid:lol:). I've managed to do this full time writer stuff for three years despite earning next to nowt.
Most other jobs have been four or five years with a couple of career breaks to go travelling/write a book etc.
Arguably should have left one or two sooner. Once you know you are unhappy, it is unlikely to change.

Back