What's the most out of date food you've used

Funnily enough, recently used some Maggi Coconut Milk that was three years out of date. Tastes like soap powder, but sticking with it.

Also, getting through some porridge oats that I'm sure we're bought about six years ago. They taste fine.
If the oats taste fine they must get better with age.

About 20 years ago I had some chicken fillets that were nearly 2 weeks out of date (didn't know it at the time). I was ill for about a week and lost over a stone in weight with what I thought at the time was gastroenteritis. Lucky escape i suppose.
Can get away with somethings, stuff that's just best before rather than expiry, or stuff that had a long shelf life anyway. Meat is a bit dodgy though

Rule of thumb....."use by" (especially meats) you should be adhering to.
"Best before" is open to interpretation and can be confirmed by the "sniff test".
I'm an absolute pussy with a delicate gut so I tend to be a bit wary of exceeding either tbh.

Last time I moved house, found old box with lots of Christmas chocolate in, ranging from 8-10 years old. Ate it all, after I’d checked to see whether chocolate can go off. It can’t apparently. Was fine.

I put some mustard on a sandwich earlier today. There wasn't much left and as we don't use a lot of mustard I wondered how long we'd had the jar. The use by date was July 22. Mustard should be ok though, hopefully.
By coincidence I logged onto the smb and this thread is here.

Consciously? Milk by around a fortnight.

Things I’ve just found in places I’ve moved into? Decade at least… wasn’t even ill.

Also, getting through some porridge oats that I'm sure we're bought about six years ago. They taste fine
I think dry goods like cereals, flour etc can get infested with microscopic mites but they shouldn't be harmful themselves, just extra protein. Any live ones will be fresher than fresh.

Rule of thumb....."use by" (especially meats) you should be adhering to.
"Best before" is open to interpretation and can be confirmed by the "sniff test".
I'm an absolute pussy with a delicate gut so I tend to be a bit wary of exceeding either tbh.

:eek:

I'd second this, the porridge one, I can't really see how they would go out of date unless they were discoloured or something similar, not really food but daughter was trying to clean a drinking water bottle not long ago, I looked at a bottle of that steralising liquid ( Milton?) It was 4 years out of date, I can't see how something like that can. Maybe not as effective.

I use out of date food all the time, as @EchoMan said if it tastes and smells ok then it's fine.
I purposely leave cheese to go about 2 years out of date before eating it so it gets a stronger taste.

I recently had a mars bar that had been in a ruck sack since at least about 15 years ago & it had probably been in there for a few years before that. It was awful. the best before date was not visible because the wrapper had been worn down. There's still another one but I think I won't bother eating it 🤮

Back