What's the best SAFC v Boro game you've been to ?

Both games in the season we both got relegated. 2-2 night game at roker, and 1-0 Darren Williams from a Waddle corner at theirs (our first trip to the Riverside?)

Home game was Emerson and Ravenelli for them and Rae and Russell for us. Dicky Ord red carded when we were 2-1 behind

Same for me in that incredible 7-10 days winning 1-0, 4-0, 6-1 & 6-0
Boro
West Ham
West Brom
Bristol City, i think, getting on a bit so the memory fades
Bristol (1-0) came first. A weird Friday night game. Mel Holden scored the only goal. Before that we had not only gone about ten games without a win, we hadn't even scored a goal. After that night of course, we scored 16 in three games. (Think we had a bunch of home games cancelled earlier cos of weather of flu among the players..why all those home games game together)

A great reminder that when things look totally lost there's always hope.

Oh and fuck Jimmy Hill

Last edited:
The fa cup game was the coldest I’ve ever been at the match. Was gutted it went to extra time!

Anyone got a video of the reddy goal? I remember watching it at the SOL on a beamback, massive screen on the pitch and we were sat in the stands iirc.

Just checked - it 1973.

Should've been 5 - had a goal chalked off before we scored (IIRC)

Loved that one, the way the few hundred Boro fans in the Roker end swirled down the central exit after we hit those three quick goals in front of them, like water down the plughole. It was Vic Halom's home debut and his first goal for us too.

Last edited:
1971, Tuesday night. Beat them 4 - 1. Goal scorers all went on to become Icons; Bobby Kerr, Dave Watson, Billy Hughes and Dennis Tueart.
For his goal Dennis Tueart got the ball on the left wing and dribbled past at least three of their players (he might have dribbled past even more, probably the whole Boro team) and slotted the ball past Willie Wigham (Boro goalkeeper).
Goal was at the Fulwell End. Still one of the best goals I have ever seen us score.

Liam Miller last minute equaliser down there. I was in the Boro end with friends and the equaliser was right in front of me. I have been to a few like that but, although I may be confused, I think it was when Arca scored and looked horrified for scoring against us. Happy to admit I am wrong if they were two different games
Same mate
Liam Miller last minute equaliser down there. I was in the Boro end with friends and the equaliser was right in front of me. I have been to a few like that but, although I may be confused, I think it was when Arca scored and looked horrified for scoring against us. Happy to admit I am wrong if they were two different games
Think Arca got stretchered off that game for them

Last edited:
The 4-1 was on Boxing day wasnt it. Whigham spilled the ball in front of Kerr at the Roker end after 5 minutes. It took us an hour to get out of our parking spot and me Dad spun the car on an ice spot on the way home.

OTOH the 1974 0-2 when Kerr and Hughes were sent off was our best + the 3-1 FA Cup.

Wasnt there a 2-2 at Roker in the 70s as well

Leadbitter. Arca. Downing. Miller

Interestingly, three of those players played for both teams

The 4-1 was on Boxing day wasnt it. Whigham spilled the ball in front of Kerr at the Roker end after 5 minutes. It took us an hour to get out of our parking spot and me Dad spun the car on an ice spot on the way home.

OTOH the 1974 0-2 when Kerr and Hughes were sent off was our best + the 3-1 FA Cup.

Wasnt there a 2-2 at Roker in the 70s as

Wasnt there a 2-2 at Roker in the 70s as well
The 2-2 was the Boxing Day game 70/71, the 4-1 was the following season (71/72) on a Tuesday night near the start of the season.

Back