What's the best lager in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I reckon in a blind taste test most people wouldn’t notice any difference between most premium lagers. What people like is mostly marketing driven or they had a nice pint on holiday in the sun versus a dingy pub in sunderland.
Most of the “brewed under licence” lagers taste the same. More to is an example of a beer that was rather nice when it was imported then suddenly tasted like just about every other beer around. The bready (autocorrect just changed that to breast lol) flavour disappeared and tasted like everything else.

Despite my beer snobbery I actually like Corona quite a lot, especially during the summer, and I reckon that’s partly due to the fact it’s imported from Mexico so hasn’t got that same taste as the other “premium” beers. I prefer Modelo or Pacifico when it comes to the Mexican lagers though.

Last edited:
Im no alcoholic but i could tell the difference between two of the most popular lager, fosters and carling no problem. And also they is a mega difference in a lager that 4% and one that 5% too

I know, Real Ale drinkers will be saying you are talking about a drink that should be associated with skunks or mutants. I can't drink Ale though and in my 35 years of drinking have only drank lager. I told myself a couple of years ago that drinking Fosters or Carling was just like drinking recycled pee so I only drink 'Premium' lager. My favorites are:

San Miguel - love it in a bottle or can.
Perroni - again class drink.
Becks - had this once on draught, thought I'd died and gone to heaven, had 6 pints in an hour and half (it was free). Can't remember the journey home (I wasn't driving).
Heineken - realise may not be classed as a 'Premium' but I don't mind it.
Oranjeboom - not often seen in England but a class Dutch drink.
Estrella - had a couple of pints last week, very nice.

Whatever your choice, it's defo not Carlsberg, probably the shitest lager in the world.
Korev
The Cornish laaaager oh argh
Or sol

Most of the “brewed under licence” lagers taste the same. More to is an example of a beer that was rather nice when it was imported then suddenly tasted like just about every other beer around. The bready (autocorrect just changed that to breast lol) flavour disappeared and tasted like everything else.

Despite my beer snobbery I actually like Corona quite a lot, especially during the summer, and I reckon that’s partly due to the fact it’s imported from Mexico so hasn’t got that same taste as the other “premium” beers. I prefer Modelo or Pacifico when it comes to the Mexican lagers though.
I can’t taste owt when I drink corona like if you have it without the citrus.

I know, Real Ale drinkers will be saying you are talking about a drink that should be associated with skunks or mutants. I can't drink Ale though and in my 35 years of drinking have only drank lager. I told myself a couple of years ago that drinking Fosters or Carling was just like drinking recycled pee so I only drink 'Premium' lager. My favorites are:

San Miguel - love it in a bottle or can.
Perroni - again class drink.
Becks - had this once on draught, thought I'd died and gone to heaven, had 6 pints in an hour and half (it was free). Can't remember the journey home (I wasn't driving).
Heineken - realise may not be classed as a 'Premium' but I don't mind it.
Oranjeboom - not often seen in England but a class Dutch drink.
Estrella - had a couple of pints last week, very nice.

Whatever your choice, it's defo not Carlsberg, probably the shitest lager in the world.

Hilariously, Carlsberg make your #1 on the list. Its almost certainly very similar in method and ingredients.
I can’t taste owt when I drink corona like if you have it without the citrus.
Corona has almost no taste, you're quite right. Needs the lime to have something about it
Budvar and Urquell atm
Those 2 pretty much invented lager, so you'd imagine they'd be good at it :)

Last edited:
Hilariously, Carlsberg make your #1 on the list. Its almost certainly very similar in method and ingredients.

Corona has almost no taste, you're quite right. Needs the lime to have something about it
Aye same with coors. Had 4 cans of M&S beer the other night and I’m sure it was corona. No surprise it’s popular with women.

Reactions: PTR
There is no best lager or burger or most things. There is just one you prefer.

And that’s fine.

But let’s keep on listing lagers eh lads

Reactions: PTR
Estrella Galicia. Cold. Is the best lager in Spain. Most people seem to agree on that too.

Estrella Damm is awful in Spain. Probably nowt to do with the one they sell in Uk
Estrella Damm was/is what they knock out in all inclusive hotels in Benidorm then all of a sudden they start putting out proper arty farty adverts in cinemas like it’s nectar of the gods !!😂

Most have already been mentioned, but should call it shite lagers of our youth -

Norseman
Skol
Hoffmeister
Ace
McEwans
Harp
Remember the first time I had wheat beer - Erdinger - in The Salem/Tap & Spile in Hendon, thought my head was going to explode. What's that taste there - er, that'll be flavour!

Last edited:
I missed Morretti, think that's how it's spelt, another nice lager. Do we do a nice one in England, would love a 'premium' one that we could call our own.

Carling premier for me. although it doesn't seem to be on draught anyway i drink so have to stick to can which taste almost as good. I find cans of other lager just don't taste the same as the draught version
Where do you get carling premier mate ? Used to be able to get it locally but the shop don’t stock it anymore .

Where do you get carling premier mate ? Used to be able to get it locally but the shop don’t stock it anymore .

I get mine believe it or not from my local shop where i live near Kibblesworth in gateshead. The Nisa at lamelsey house on durham road birtly used to sell it to but they've had none in for ages.also an off licence in becon lough, gateshead, near the co-op sold it for 4.50 for 4 cans but he has had trouble getting it to and had none for weeks. Hope you manage to get hold of some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back