What would you do?

All sounds good and so simple but why would they appoint a new head coach/manager and then replace the Sporting Director/DoF? Would it not need to be the other way around?

Who are the realistic head coach options then though, Warnock, Heckingbottom, McCarthy, Wilder, Hughton, Parker or Cooper? I'm probably forgetting a few but I'd only want Cooper out of those.

I'd happily take a highly rated coach from anywhere, Marek Papszun sounded decent, Will Still, Danny Röhl, Steve Cooper. Those are the 4 who I like the most of the names that have been thrown about.

I would sign 2 centre forwards, 1 of which has to be a player we know can do the job. The other one can be a young player but again I'd prefer English experience, I'd take a look at Sinclair Armstrong from QPR, aye his record on paper is shite, but his attributes are very good.

I would sign a proper experienced defensive midfielder who could play and can still run, doesn't have to have played in England.

I'd add an experienced Championship centre half for depth, Seelt is out a long time, the rest are still unknown but we have to give them a chance. Even Danny Batth is out of contract, see if he'd take a reasonable salary.

Outside of that I don't think there is much wrong with the squad and it's already massive with prospects.

Sorry for the essay.

Last edited:
Like in any business, you employ the best people to run it for you. That usually means people who've experience at the top, or close to that level for some time in their field.

Short and KLD are at different ends of the spending spectrum in their time here, but their failures in bringing in the right people in from board level downwards are very similar.

Scrap the Model and this self sufficiency nonsense . Spend wisely on players who can shave and have actually played senior football at a decent level.

Next coach has to have relative success previously in the championship for me . Although Heckingbottom falls into this category.

We need a new keeping coach and the current one needs to leave the club at the end of the season. He's supposed to coach them to improve and Patterson just hasn't.
Dodds and proctor should be nowhere near the first team set up.

I don't know why I think it, but I think the model will be tweaked. They'll change something which means we can attract more/better
Weird how things are taken so differently on here & I suspect everywhere else.

There was a thread about Mark Prudhoe (think it’s him) saying what a fantastic job he’s done. Apparently, from youth level up SAFC have a very strong goalkeeping proposition. I’ve personally heard this from people who should have way more knowledge than me on the subject too.

Just cos Patterson has been in poor form, stagnated, playing to his potential or just is complete shit, doesn’t mean his performances on a Saturday this season are a reflection on the goalkeeping coaches.

Weird how things are taken so differently on here & I suspect everywhere else.

There was a thread about Mark Prudhoe (think it’s him) saying what a fantastic job he’s done. Apparently, from youth level up SAFC have a very strong goalkeeping proposition. I’ve personally heard this from people who should have way more knowledge than me on the subject too.

Just cos Patterson has been in poor form, stagnated, playing to his potential or just is complete shit, doesn’t mean his performances on a Saturday this season are a reflection on the goalkeeping coaches.

Maybe so. But the coaching side of things would surely come into question for lack of progression ? Unless it's just stubbornness on Patterson's side ?

For me the biggest issue is the head coach,get the right one in and let him have some input and the rest should fall into place imo. Not a chance we'll get anyone decent if they are told they have to work with what we've got, especially up front. How about poaching a manager doing well?

Speakman gets a lot of heat but for all we know he's just carrying out the wishes of KLD. Same is true of the rest of the recruitment team.

The first thing for me is the powers that be have to appoint a proven, experienced head coach who has a promotion from the championship on his CV. They have to allow him to bring in his own coaching team and give him assurances that the priorities in the summer will be a CF, CDM & a CB. Whilst the fans should never be allowed to choose a manager, it’s vital they gauge fan reaction as we can’t have another Beale situation.

The current coaching staff should be offered alternative roles either as player development or academy coaches and if they don’t want to take up those posts, they should be relieved of their duties. It’s clear the players like them, but I think there’s an element of them being too pally with each other. The players loved Alex Neil and Mowbray but that wasn’t because he they were their best mate. It’s because both managers made them play good football.

The owner should be using his contacts within football to find a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023. It would be unworkable to replace both roles at the same time I think, but Speakman has proven to me that he isn’t suitable for the job. His previous experience was managing an academy and he made the step up to league 1 first team and got us promoted, however he’s become unstuck at championship level & certainly won’t cut it in the PL. 3 consecutive windows of failure, a shocking managerial appointment & just chucking the towel in with a 3rd of the season to go is really poor.

None of this means a drastic deviation of policy or a massive increase in spending. It does show flexibility, adapting to the current situation and learning from mistakes.
Pretty much nailed everything here. Great post.

The first thing for me is the powers that be have to appoint a proven, experienced head coach who has a promotion from the championship on his CV. They have to allow him to bring in his own coaching team and give him assurances that the priorities in the summer will be a CF, CDM & a CB. Whilst the fans should never be allowed to choose a manager, it’s vital they gauge fan reaction as we can’t have another Beale situation.

The current coaching staff should be offered alternative roles either as player development or academy coaches and if they don’t want to take up those posts, they should be relieved of their duties. It’s clear the players like them, but I think there’s an element of them being too pally with each other. The players loved Alex Neil and Mowbray but that wasn’t because he they were their best mate. It’s because both managers made them play good football.

The owner should be using his contacts within football to find a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023. It would be unworkable to replace both roles at the same time I think, but Speakman has proven to me that he isn’t suitable for the job. His previous experience was managing an academy and he made the step up to league 1 first team and got us promoted, however he’s become unstuck at championship level & certainly won’t cut it in the PL. 3 consecutive windows of failure, a shocking managerial appointment & just chucking the towel in with a 3rd of the season to go is really poor.

None of this means a drastic deviation of policy or a massive increase in spending. It does show flexibility, adapting to the current situation and learning from mistakes.
I think that ship has sailed.

I’d continue to gamble. I couldn’t give a toss if they’ve got championship experience. Steve Bruce has got promoted, experience doesn’t mean good.
I’d get someone who will guarantee to play a high pressing game.
Then see which players can play such a game and if they can’t I’d ship them out.
I’d continue to buy youth and I’d not have obvious progression but competition for places.
I’d make sure the coaching staff as a whole is well rounded. You need a mix of pally and steel.
If you want names. I’d go and get Still if he’s interested and I’d buy the striker from Aberdeen.

KLD needs to put the club up for sale. Clearly not interested. For our long term future.

Until that happens I’m not putting another penny into his club.

Back