What would you do?

The first thing for me is the powers that be have to appoint a proven, experienced head coach who has a promotion from the championship on his CV. They have to allow him to bring in his own coaching team and give him assurances that the priorities in the summer will be a CF, CDM & a CB. Whilst the fans should never be allowed to choose a manager, it’s vital they gauge fan reaction as we can’t have another Beale situation.

The current coaching staff should be offered alternative roles either as player development or academy coaches and if they don’t want to take up those posts, they should be relieved of their duties. It’s clear the players like them, but I think there’s an element of them being too pally with each other. The players loved Alex Neil and Mowbray but that wasn’t because he they were their best mate. It’s because both managers made them play good football.

The owner should be using his contacts within football to find a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023. It would be unworkable to replace both roles at the same time I think, but Speakman has proven to me that he isn’t suitable for the job. His previous experience was managing an academy and he made the step up to league 1 first team and got us promoted, however he’s become unstuck at championship level & certainly won’t cut it in the PL. 3 consecutive windows of failure, a shocking managerial appointment & just chucking the towel in with a 3rd of the season to go is really poor.

None of this means a drastic deviation of policy or a massive increase in spending. It does show flexibility, adapting to the current situation and learning from mistakes.

Next coach has to have relative success previously in the championship for me . Although Heckingbottom falls into this category.

We need a new keeping coach and the current one needs to leave the club at the end of the season. He's supposed to coach them to improve and Patterson just hasn't.
Dodds and proctor should be nowhere near the first team set up.

I don't know why I think it, but I think the model will be tweaked. They'll change something which means we can attract more/better

If I was being interviewed for the job and had just witnessed sunderlands best coach set up the team in a way which we got beat 5.1 by a team fighting relegation I would want assurances that said coach will have no input what so ever on the 1st team.

And like you say aswell assurances over signings.

I can't see why anyone would want to take the job on if they don't deviate from signing young players with no experience I know a lot ot people think it's drastic but we will be relegated next season unless we buy some top quality championship players. The team is far too inconsistent and just about every player is capable of a top class performance but equally capable of a performance that back in the day would see them playing for the reserves.

The first thing for me is the powers that be have to appoint a proven, experienced head coach who has a promotion from the championship on his CV. They have to allow him to bring in his own coaching team and give him assurances that the priorities in the summer will be a CF, CDM & a CB. Whilst the fans should never be allowed to choose a manager, it’s vital they gauge fan reaction as we can’t have another Beale situation.

The current coaching staff should be offered alternative roles either as player development or academy coaches and if they don’t want to take up those posts, they should be relieved of their duties. It’s clear the players like them, but I think there’s an element of them being too pally with each other. The players loved Alex Neil and Mowbray but that wasn’t because he they were their best mate. It’s because both managers made them play good football.

The owner should be using his contacts within football to find a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023. It would be unworkable to replace both roles at the same time I think, but Speakman has proven to me that he isn’t suitable for the job. His previous experience was managing an academy and he made the step up to league 1 first team and got us promoted, however he’s become unstuck at championship level & certainly won’t cut it in the PL. 3 consecutive windows of failure, a shocking managerial appointment & just chucking the towel in with a 3rd of the season to go is really poor.

None of this means a drastic deviation of policy or a massive increase in spending. It does show flexibility, adapting to the current situation and learning from mistakes.
Shame none of this will happen!!

Back