What would you do?

I would go out and get Cooper and give him a contract and time to build a squad (within reason) as how he sees fit. There would be some parameters, Such as only having a certain amount of signings over the age of 27, but it would be a flexible model if I could see the logistics behind each signing. I would also have some form of contingency plan in place in the event things didn't work with Cooper. Someone who still fits the blueprint of having a track record in the Championship, A likeable character that the fans would take to and most importantly someone who fits an 'ethos' that I would want to run through the club.

I don't think it's rocket science to be honest.

The first thing for me is the powers that be have to appoint a proven, experienced head coach who has a promotion from the championship on his CV. They have to allow him to bring in his own coaching team and give him assurances that the priorities in the summer will be a CF, CDM & a CB. Whilst the fans should never be allowed to choose a manager, it’s vital they gauge fan reaction as we can’t have another Beale situation.

The current coaching staff should be offered alternative roles either as player development or academy coaches and if they don’t want to take up those posts, they should be relieved of their duties. It’s clear the players like them, but I think there’s an element of them being too pally with each other. The players loved Alex Neil and Mowbray but that wasn’t because he they were their best mate. It’s because both managers made them play good football.

The owner should be using his contacts within football to find a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023. It would be unworkable to replace both roles at the same time I think, but Speakman has proven to me that he isn’t suitable for the job. His previous experience was managing an academy and he made the step up to league 1 first team and got us promoted, however he’s become unstuck at championship level & certainly won’t cut it in the PL. 3 consecutive windows of failure, a shocking managerial appointment & just chucking the towel in with a 3rd of the season to go is really poor.

None of this means a drastic deviation of policy or a massive increase in spending. It does show flexibility, adapting to the current situation and learning from mistakes.
When did we get a Time Machine?

“a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023”

The first thing for me is the powers that be have to appoint a proven, experienced head coach who has a promotion from the championship on his CV. They have to allow him to bring in his own coaching team and give him assurances that the priorities in the summer will be a CF, CDM & a CB. Whilst the fans should never be allowed to choose a manager, it’s vital they gauge fan reaction as we can’t have another Beale situation.

The current coaching staff should be offered alternative roles either as player development or academy coaches and if they don’t want to take up those posts, they should be relieved of their duties. It’s clear the players like them, but I think there’s an element of them being too pally with each other. The players loved Alex Neil and Mowbray but that wasn’t because he they were their best mate. It’s because both managers made them play good football.

The owner should be using his contacts within football to find a replacement Sporting Director to take control by the end of 2023. It would be unworkable to replace both roles at the same time I think, but Speakman has proven to me that he isn’t suitable for the job. His previous experience was managing an academy and he made the step up to league 1 first team and got us promoted, however he’s become unstuck at championship level & certainly won’t cut it in the PL. 3 consecutive windows of failure, a shocking managerial appointment & just chucking the towel in with a 3rd of the season to go is really poor.

None of this means a drastic deviation of policy or a massive increase in spending. It does show flexibility, adapting to the current situation and learning from mistakes.
I disagree about the prospective coaches CV having a championship promotion. I assume you are alluding to Cooper or Heckinbottom ?
Most other promotions will have been achieved so long ago that it makes them irrelevant , eg, Neil , Mowbray. I would rather have a modern progressive coach probably from the continent. Which is the way most successful clubs are going these days.
I would go out and get Cooper and give him a contract and time to build a squad (within reason) as how he sees fit. There would be some parameters, Such as only having a certain amount of signings over the age of 27, but it would be a flexible model if I could see the logistics behind each signing. I would also have some form of contingency plan in place in the event things didn't work with Cooper. Someone who still fits the blueprint of having a track record in the Championship, A likeable character that the fans would take to and most importantly someone who fits an 'ethos' that I would want to run through the club.

I don't think it's rocket science to be honest.
I completely disagree with this strategy. Let’s get away from , “ a proven championship manager” , that invariably means one who has been hanging around for years but never won anything. Cooper might be one I don’t know.

Last edited:

The players actually liked JACK ROSS the most out of any of our recent managers

Bring in Cooper -sign Clarkey and Rigg on long term deals and appoint ( crazy we have to !-) an employee who would help solve the biggest problem at the club -communication and transparency.
A bit of flexibility with the model wouldn’t go amiss as well

The first step is the removal of Speakman. He should not be involved in Head Coach or Player recruitment.
After he's gone there needs to be an acknowledgement that the model is flawed and a willingness to change it.
Then they need to employ the right candidate and allow them to bring their own backroom staff.
Support the new man with funds to bring some proven quality and experience in to the football club.
That will do for starters.

I'd go and get Still / Cooper

Then I'd go and raid L1
GK - Tickle (Wigan)
CB - Hughes (Wigan), Edwards (Pboro), Cashin (Derby)
Lb - Burrows (Pboro)
No idea on CMs but I'd have been in for Bird (Derby - Bristol city soon)

Then get a few players who are no longer needed in the prem - Reed (Fulham)

Getting a core of english players who've played 100 + games will make it an easier transition when some of our better players move on

Decide if promotion is part of the "5 year plan", and if it is stop faffing about with crap coaches and no goal threat, invest in both properly, and have a good go at it.

I disagree about the prospective coaches CV having a championship promotion. I assume you are alluding to Cooper or Heckinbottom ?
Most other promotions will have been achieved so long ago that it makes them irrelevant , eg, Neil , Mowbray. I would rather have a modern progressive coach probably from the continent. Which is the way most successful clubs are going these days.

I completely disagree with this strategy. Let’s get away from , “ a proven championship manager” , that invariably means one who has been hanging around for years but never won anything. Cooper might be one I don’t know.
Na, I'm not saying it just needs to be an old head, Just someone with a record of knowing the English leagues as either a player or as a manager.

If you look at recently promoted clubs over the last few seasons, all have either experience of managing in England, being from within an existing or playing within England domestically.

Burnley - Kompany
Sheff United - Heckingbottom
Luton - Edwards

Fulham - Silva
Bournemouth - Parker
Forest - Cooper

Norwich - Farke
Watford - Exception to the norm but they have about 15 managers a season
Brentford - Frank

Back