What the former Corner Flag pub is to become.

I guess that didn't work.

Well these haven't given up.

From the Save the National Glass Centre's FB page.

Save the National Glass Centre is with Future Sunderland and​

6 others

.​

We stand in solidarity with all of the staff and students. We are distraught to hear that like a thief in the night Sunderland University is taking away our glass and ceramic courses leading to inevitable loss of highly skilled staff, valued teachers and of course eventually the building itself.
Filling their boots with Sunderland’s heritage and the future of glass making in the North East.
We stand with you and we will fight to keep you.
#savethenationalglasscentre #unison #sunderlanduni #sunderlandnow #sunderlandecho #northeastnews #sunderlandnews #universityofsunderland #nationalglasscentre #glassuk #artemergency #sunderlanduk #acenorth #levellingup #looknorth @followers

Well these haven't given up.

From the Save the National Glass Centre's FB page.

Save the National Glass Centre is with Future Sunderland and​

6 others

.​

We stand in solidarity with all of the staff and students. We are distraught to hear that like a thief in the night Sunderland University is taking away our glass and ceramic courses leading to inevitable loss of highly skilled staff, valued teachers and of course eventually the building itself.
Filling their boots with Sunderland’s heritage and the future of glass making in the North East.
We stand with you and we will fight to keep you.
#savethenationalglasscentre #unison #sunderlanduni #sunderlandnow #sunderlandecho #northeastnews #sunderlandnews #universityofsunderland #nationalglasscentre #glassuk #artemergency #sunderlanduk #acenorth #levellingup #looknorth @followers
There's no chance of it surviving now they have dropped the glass and ceramics courses.

Was never gonna be temporary and it brings loads of people to seaburn, phase 2 is pending now

It was originally only a temporary use but looks like they have submitted a planning application to make it permanent

Yeah they have always planned on it being permanent tbh, money talks 😉 there’s about another 5 stacks opening round the country too

https://www.sunderlandecho.com › news › politics › council › decision-day-set-for-new-pavilion...

Decision day set for new ‘pavilion’ at Keel Square in Sunderland city ...

The final decision on the pavilion structure plan rests with councillors on the Planning and Highways Committee, who will next meet on April 8, 2024. The meeting will start at 5.30pm at City Hall ...
May just be me, but seems a bit naff.

I quite liked the open space of Keel Square and we seem to be losing a lot of it.

Some is being lost for the better ie. seating for the bars and the Culture House, but this seems crap.

May change my mind once it’s up, like.

Sunderland University Priestman Building?

Can't see it.

https://www.msn.com › en-gb › money › other › sunderlands-oldest-cultural-link-with-the-wear...

'Sunderland's oldest cultural link with the Wear' - dismay over further ...

The city's oldest cultural link with the Wear. An art form and a heritage skill….what a shame. Yet we can look forward to ‘ Culture House’ opening in the city centre.

Polytechnics/Red Brick Universities were a educational/improvement experience which brought in students from all over the UK and the world, many of these could study a subject(s) which they were interested in or wanted to make a career in and at the same time enjoy the student life usually away from home.
Now they are just a cash cow for Thatcherite/New Labour ran universities running only courses which are deemed 'good for business'.

The result? The knobs can continue to study 'The History of Art', 'Ancient Greek' etc in their gleaming/dreaming spires while the plebs can study 'Accountancy' and the Glass Centre is pulled down because they need more space for such. And don't forget the mountain of student doubt.

Last edited:
Used to frequent one in Cowley, Oxford when I worked down there before Covid hit. I discovered Lost Lager and air con, one hot day, after a 4 mile walk. It was like a scene from Ice Cold in Alex (one for the kids).

I had a pint of Vaux something tonight at Jamie Driscoll's meeting @Pop Recs, it was 6%, £6 pint and very nice!

Back