What the former Corner Flag pub is to become.

fairly sure this is the standard getup for research students these days:

Logon or register to see this image

the modern librarian isnt what you remember from those stuffy imagines from the 50s & 60s... the cultural library of the 2020s will encompass all modern traditions - like irish cultural awareness day...

someone must have thought it was black history month though, easy mistake to make.
L
Those lasses are probably all grandmothers now

the modern librarian isnt what you remember from those stuffy imagines from the 50s & 60s... the cultural library of the 2020s will encompass all modern traditions - like irish cultural awareness day...

someone must have thought it was black history month though, easy mistake to make.
Nutella is best not used as foundation.

Last edited:
Sounds just like the Belford house shambles from years ago where the council bought the building and a certain councillor who called himself ‘an honorary member’ came in and addressed the membership promising it would remain a social club. Closed down a week later and never re opened. Shit houses.
Yeah, the land was sold to a well known local for a pittance. He made a fortune selling the plots.

Sounds just like the Belford house shambles from years ago where the council bought the building and a certain councillor who called himself ‘an honorary member’ came in and addressed the membership promising it would remain a social club. Closed down a week later and never re opened. Shit houses.

sounds absolutely nothing like that. the council have reportedly owned the building for 7+ years, and have been seeking planning permission and funding to redevelop the land for years. their plans are in the public domain and Lucianos (i love the place by the way) must have known this day was coming for years. it was well documented last summer. its a sad fact of life but the city is regenerating and that block on the corner is old and of little use, the rest of the units have been empty for years and the building itself is of little architectural value.

there are great plans for the site, but as usual, a certain vocal section of sunderland folk will use it as a stick to beat the council with. its a common claim you see and hear - 'all the shops are empty, the town is dead, nowt ever happens, the council are crap, no the wonder no one comes here, etc. etc..'' - so they have managed to get a plan together to redevelop a prime site into something modern and useful, and now they are being criticised for it.

other than lucianos, when was the last time any unit on that block was in use?
Yeah, the land was sold to a well known local for a pittance. He made a fortune selling the plots.

i'd like to think that sort of thing is very rare or bordering on impossible these days. i've got a mate who works in a redevelopment department of the council and the red tape they have to jump through to spend any money or get anything signed off is barmy, but its the only way to ensure transparency and proper checks are carried out

Last edited:
sounds absolutely nothing like that. the council have reportedly owned the building for 7+ years, and have been seeking planning permission and funding to redevelop the land for years. their plans are in the public domain and Lucianos (i love the place by the way) must have known this day was coming for years. it was well documented last summer. its a sad fact of life but the city is regenerating and that block on the corner is old and of little use, the rest of the units have been empty for years and the building itself is of little architectural value.

there are great plans for the site, but as usual, a certain vocal section of sunderland folk will use it as a stick to beat the council with. its a common claim you see and hear - 'all the shops are empty, the town is dead, nowt ever happens, the council are crap, no the wonder no one comes here, etc. etc..'' - so they have managed to get a plan together to redevelop a prime site into something modern and useful, and now they are being criticised for it.

i'd like to think that sort of thing is very rare or bordering on impossible these days. i've got a mate who works in a redevelopment department of the council and the red tape they have to jump through to spend any money or get anything signed off is barmy, but its the only way to ensure transparency and proper checks are carried out
Corner Flag must have shut 6/7 years ago?
Just been Lucianos open since

It sounds like whatever my opinion of the matter is to me mate

Most of us will have been for meals at luciano’s and have fond memories of the place. Not been in for years. It’s a shame but the plans for the culture house look great. Some really good things are happening in the city finally.

Back