What shares you buying?

You sound like Rockerfeller- I did not understand any of that!
I would be lying if I said I understood it, im just aware of it all now. I had no idea about all that stuff until I got involved with clover. Have a google of dark pool trading. It shouldn't be allowed in my opinion, rigs the system for us normal investors.

Last edited:

Oof! Bought JMAT as a recovery job last year and seen it coming back fairly consistently since. They’ve announced they’re putting their battery materials business up for sale and plunged just off 20% today.

Oof! Bought JMAT as a recovery job last year and seen it coming back fairly consistently since. They’ve announced they’re putting their battery materials business up for sale and plunged just off 20% today.
Abandoning batteries & their biggest earner is catalytic converters for ICEs, oh dear. Haway the green/blue Hydrogen.

Today’s Times pick is Canadian General Investments. Thought I’d follow their advise but the KID shows annual charges of 2.27%. This is higher than I’m used to seeing.

Is there a principle that if there’s a decent track record with a fund manager not to be put off by it?

I actually work for Johnson Matthey and frankly their foray into batteries was at best ill-considered and at worst utterly moronic. Many of us here thought there was no way we'd complete with established players like Samsung and Panasonic, we were so late to the party it was embarrassing. I'm just kinda hoping I make it to retirement before the company implodes. The move away from catalytic converters will kill two thirds of JM's current revenue stream, lord knows what will replace it? Their LinkedIn account spouts nothing but shite about hydrogen, but it's news to me we even had a hydrogen business, it's never been mentioned previously. So basically they've found another bandwagon to jump on in sheer desperation. Shambolic

I've got a couple of quid I want to invest in a certain companies shares for a year or two. What's the best company to use for someone based in the UK? I assume there'll be fees and stuff to factor in?

I've got a couple of quid I want to invest in a certain companies shares for a year or two. What's the best company to use for someone based in the UK? I assume there'll be fees and stuff to factor in?

For a year or two, presumably you have plans for the money then? And can't afford a big drop.

I'd go for a world fund - Vanguard developed world fund would do the trick. HL would charge 0.45% per year.

Some very good gains on some of my smaller companies this past year or so. I'm up 100% on my Safestore position this year and 80% on Cakebox.

They’ve said they want to invest in a certain company and the first two replies suggest a tracker :)

@Horace Cope look on the moneysavingexpert website, they usually have recommendations based on how often you want to make trades.

To be fair, 'I want to invest in a certain company for a year or two' screams 'I should not be investing in a company based on recommendations from a football forum, what I need is a tracker fund'.

Also hard to recommend a company without knowing risk appetite.

Something solid, but won't treble your money. Abbott is the most solid in my portfolio.

Something very risky which could double or treble but could equally go down by 70%. Chewy, or perhaps Roku. Maybe Adyen.

(Not advice...do your own research)

To be fair, 'I want to invest in a certain company for a year or two' screams 'I should not be investing in a company based on recommendations from a football forum, what I need is a tracker fund'.

Also hard to recommend a company without knowing risk appetite.

Something solid, but won't treble your money. Abbott is the most solid in my portfolio.

Something very risky which could double or treble but could equally go down by 70%. Chewy, or perhaps Roku. Maybe Adyen.

(Not advice...do your own research)
Don’t think he’s asking what company to invest in, just what platform to use,

Back