What kind of birds do you see in your garden?

I'd love to put some feed out for the birds but I'm wary it will attract rats. I caught a few rats earlier this year. Any ideas?

Black crows , seagulls , pigeons , robins , swallows, wrens.

we don’t get magpies or the same sort of birds that you get in Durham or Northumberland up here

I'd never seen coal tits until this year when several nested in next doors bushes.

My dad always called them blackcaps although that's the name of another species.
I see nowt here but got loads in my childhood home. We got a swarm of long tailed tits once that appeared from nowhere and I've never seen a single one again.
That’s a real shame mate, hope you see one.
Sadly one of our resident Barn Owls was killed on the road this Spring.
A few not Covered on the list - Summer and Spring
Stock Doves
Red legged Partridge
Pheasant
Green Finch
Green Woodpecker
Lesser and great spotted woodpecker
Chaffinch
Nuthatch.
Chiffchaff
Reed Bunting only a few times
Bullfinch
Mistle Thrush
Jay
Linnet
Goldcrest
Spotted Flycatcher last year

No parakeets here yet.
Loads down your way I hear.
Plenty of Buzzards and Red Kites here. We get a few nesting Curlews a few miles away. I know the farmer well and the RSBP are all over it.
Snipe as well.

I saw a Jay for the only time ever when I was living in Morpeth. Those are beautiful birds.

Last edited:
My dad always called them blackcaps although that's the name of another species.
I see nowt here but got loads in my childhood home. We got a swarm of long tailed tits once that appeared from nowhere and I've never seen a single one again.

We had waxwings round here once. There's loads of rowan trees in the woods and they appeared, spent a couple of days munching on berries then disappeared again!

We had waxwings round here once. There's loads of rowan trees in the woods and they appeared, spent a couple of days munching on berries then disappeared again!
I saw waxwings years ago becs along near old wilf's cottage near South hylton woods, sunderland gets them during particularly hard spells of winter weather.

I saw a Jay for the only time ever when I was living in Morpeth. Those are beautiful birds.

They are and the sentry of the woods.
When I used to shoot a fair bit as a young lad, with a hide and decoy pigeons, if I heard a Jay squawking always knew something was coming.
5 minutes later usually someone walking a dog in the surrounding fields.
The blue wing feathers were often used for fly fishing.

Had a pheasant in the garden a couple of years ago, saw one a few months ago when I was walking the dog, had no idea what it was, had to Google various birds before I found it.

Two daft Male pheasants in the garden waiting to be fed every morning.
Have to keep the dog in as he likes to chase them.
As soon as I open the door they start walking towards me, getting very tame.
Feeding then suet pellets although they do peck up the sunflower seeds under the feeders and bird table.
Just saw a chaffinch on the seed feeder. Don't usually see them in my garden, although I know there's loads in the woods.

Get a fair few on the bird table every day.
Greenfinches and Goldfinches always on the sunflower heart feeder. They empty it daily!! Won’t be long before the Fieldfares and Redwings return.

Last edited:
Haven’t got a garden but the parakeets are all over London these days. Noisy as owt and you can feed them in some of the royal parks quite easily.

not sure if it’s mentioned but they’re linked with Jimmy Hendrix 😮

I've got seven feeders containing mealworm, sunflower seeds, peanuts and a few suet based pellets/balls.

Stinkers
Spuggies
Blackbirds
Robins
Blue Tits
Coal Tits
Great Tits (ooerr!)
Long Tail Tits
Chaffinches
Bullfinches
Greenfinches
Goldfinches
Wood Pigeons
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Magpies
Cat

Last edited:
I had the Observer's book of birds as a boy. It had a picture of a Hawfinch on the cover, but to this day, I've never seen one.

Anyone seen a Hawfinch?

Back