What kind of bike do I need?

One lever and a calliper doesn’t constitute a “whole brake”. Just admit it, you’ve fucked up.

No disc, no rear setup, no fluid, fitting etc.

These are sold as grouped components and the lever, cable and caliper are sold as a package. The disk can be six bolt or Shimano spline and four different diameters. So I understand why this isn’t included in the package as it’s unlikely it’s the right one for every buyer.

That said, the £20 model is European standard right hand lever for a rear brake.

These are sold as grouped components and the lever, cable and caliper are sold as a package. The disk can be six bolt or Shimano spline and four different diameters. So I understand why this isn’t included in the package as it’s unlikely it’s the right one for every buyer.

That said, the £20 model is European standard right hand lever for a rear brake.
Exactly. I’m not meaning to be picky but to say a disc brake setup is £20 then call everyone else thick for saying it’s not is a tad unfair.

Not really, they’re absolutely thick as fuck. It’s the lever, hose and caliper. I.e. the whole brake.
How many 'whole' brakes?
I also thought it was common convention for a full disc brake set up to have a disc to help with the stopping.
And are you suggesting that OP can fit this?

Last edited:
Amateur question.

I want a bike to go out on down the seafront/along the riverside.

Not arsed for going off road etc.

What should I get?
Go to a bike shop with good selection of bikes and see which one feels right for you.

A lecky bike will mean you are more likely to ride longer but they are heavier and you are not getting the same level of exercise. And they are more expensive.

Dont get big knobbly tyres if you aren’t going off road as they are harder to pedal.

Front suspension is nice.

Without a load of other info not much more of value I can offer.

Back