What is the point in learning Maths?

Only a small percentage will tell you that Maths is an important thing to learn in life and you will get know where without it but when do you ever need to know your maths in every day life, so what is the point of learning something such as how many hotdogs laid flat will fill the White House.
Whats is the point of learning anything

Only a small percentage will tell you that Maths is an important thing to learn in life and you will get know where without it but when do you ever need to know your maths in every day life, so what is the point of learning something such as how many hotdogs laid flat will fill the White House.

Literally every day you jibbering imbecile.
Go check if your fridge is turned off FFS.

I don’t know how to do this without creating a really obvious two tier system but there’s an argument that a sizeable minority of kids would be much better equipped for life and work with a much more practical education.
We used to do that years ago with Grammar and Secondary Modern schools.

The rise of Comprehensive school education put paid to all of that - turned into a race to the bottom.

Used it last week to work out when my train was arriving. Knew it was 20 miles behind the train at the platform and travelling at 80mph. Made it easier to be ready to jump on when it arrived

Has the OP never checked the time, worked out how long it'll take to get somewhere and how long they should allow for a trip?

Have they never bought a single thing in their life?

Do they not have a bank account and have they never had to pay for a bill in their life or put savings away?

Or is the OP just a thicko?

Has the OP never checked the time, worked out how long it'll take to get somewhere and how long they should allow for a trip?

Do they not have a bank account and have they never had to pay for a bill in their life or put savings away?

Being pedantic that could be covered in Arithmetic. (I am aware that is maths) I assume he means the other stuff we don't use on a daily basis.

I doubt the OP knows his own name let alone has the cognitive ability to do time and distance calculations.

Even if you don’t think you’ll need maths after school, there are many instances when it crops up. I work with a kid who didn’t bother learning percentages. I’ll say, right can you do 10% of this, and he looks at me blankly. Do you want to be the adult who has to get the calculator out to work out 10% of something? Or who can’t calculate change in a shop?

Even if you don’t think you’ll need maths after school, there are many instances when it crops up. I work with a kid who didn’t bother learning percentages. I’ll say, right can you do 10% of this, and he looks at me blankly. Do you want to be the adult who has to get the calculator out to work out 10% of something? Or who can’t calculate change in a shop?

Want to be? He already is by the sound of things

Back