What is the point in learning Maths?

Only a small percentage will tell you that Maths is an important thing to learn in life and you will get know where without it but when do you ever need to know your maths in every day life, so what is the point of learning something such as how many hotdogs laid flat will fill the White House.

Are you ok?

Serious question

Only a small percentage will tell you that Maths is an important thing to learn in life and you will get know where without it but when do you ever need to know your maths in every day life, so what is the point of learning something such as how many hotdogs laid flat will fill the White House.

Are you aware that "data", understanding it and being able to analyse it is possibly the biggest growth area of the knowledge economy?

We tried, using statistical analysis but didn't quite get there. I've been out of the industry for 7 years but looking at my former colleagues on LinkeDin it looks like it still hasn't been solved.
Yeah that's what I did. Split the submarine into an infinite amount of slices and tried to make all flow laminar around the bow. It worked tbf until it came to steering

We tried, using statistical analysis but didn't quite get there. I've been out of the industry for 7 years but looking at my former colleagues on LinkeDin it looks like it still hasn't been solved.
Looks like someone has done it

Yeah that's what I did. Split the submarine into an infinite amount of slices and tried to make all flow laminar around the bow. It worked tbf until it came to steering
Maybe we should have used a Monte Carlo

Last edited:
Maths is going to massively important in the next 50 years or so before we develop AI.

Now that I'm older and a bit of a physics geek I wish I'd really stuck it in at school some of it is canny interesting like ew.

I don’t know how to do this without creating a really obvious two tier system but there’s an argument that a sizeable minority of kids would be much better equipped for life and work with a much more practical education. A lot of kids haven’t got a chance with the basics because their parents are thick as fuck. Society overall would get a massive leg up if bairns are kept on the straight and narrow.
What type of engineer though?

You can get fridge engineers now

You aren’t an engineer without a degree and being chartered.

Saw a snake the other day
I said what's 2+2?

It said 4

A says aah ya an Adder

An old variation on this one.

After the flood, God said all the animals shall go forth and repopulate the earth but instructed Noah to chop down a tree and make a table and give to the snakes. Noah was puzzled as no other animals were getting special attention. God replied, "adders need log tables to multiply."
Thing of majestic beauty as well.

Here's a beauty.

Simplifying (9+4sqrt(5))^{1/6}, a Radical Expression

( 1 + sqrt(5) )/2​

Last edited:

Back