What is the most dangerous sport?

Modern Moto GP motorcycling is relatively safe. Five have died in the last 20-odd years, but Roadracing is a different kettle of fish. The Isle of Man, Ulster races etc. are carnage by comparison. Personally, I cannot watch it, because it makes me physically sick, but each to their own. I suppose you have to look over the edge to know where the edge is, and if you fly off it then at least you went out pursuing your passion.
It’s superb live…

Motorcycle road racing. The TT, Manx Grand Prix, North West 200, Ulster GP at Dundrod and similar races through UK, Ireland and Europe have seen dozens, if not hundreds killed and badly injured over the last 20 years alone. Yet, despite being more aware than most outside the sport, riders, their families and teams keep at it. Crazy.
Not just road racing - the Dakar Rally has killed quite a few over the years.

267 deaths in the Isle of Man TT races since 1907; 168 deaths in the last 50 years. I don't think any sport compares to those figures.

You could say Islamist baiting, but that's not considered a sport.

Last edited:
The majority of sports at the highest level are extremely dangerous. They put an enormous strain on the body and its organs, typically have a high risk of serious impact injuries and frequently have a hidden culture of PED abuse, or at least come with addictions to painkillers or other substances.

The ones which you’re thinking are not, are the ones which would be better defined as “games” rather than “sports.”

Remember reading many years ago that Jai Alai was one of the most dangerous.
Not necessarily for deaths.
Sure it used to be on the opening credits of Miami Vice too, mental ball speed and not soft.

Back