1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Best Sound System?

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Thurston, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Thurston

Thurston Winger

Looking for one for the house. Considering a Sonos Play 1 or Play 3. However no final decision has been made. I want something with a clear, clean sound.

I mainly listen to, depending on mood: Clapton, The Beatles, Sonic Yoof, Audioslave, Olafur Arnalds, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Sigur Ros or classical stuff so clarity of sound is my most important consideration in order to fully appreciate the music.

What do the SMB music cognoscenti/aficionados/pretentious wankers/tech bores recommend?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Lambchops

Lambchops Striker

Hi spug

Thurston likes this.
  3. Malloy

Malloy Central Defender

I got one of these, ideal, take them into anyroom with you

[​IMG]

4. Thurston

Thurston Winger

Very sophisticated mate. Probably out of my budget. I don't shop at John Lewis.

Malloy likes this.
  5. Malloy

Malloy Central Defender

Aye, wireless on them aswell so you can record your favorite songs on a Sunday afternoon and just leave off the ones you don't like.

I only managed one lastweek like, once I left out the ed sheeren ones

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. I would recommend Sonos. Of course they only play digital files so probably no good if you are a proper audio nerd. But easy to set up and control via your phone. Even the small Sonos Play 1 are loud.

Thurston likes this.
  7. jubblies

jubblies Striker

Another vote for Sonos

Thurston likes this.
  8. sima-hebburn

sima-hebburn Winger

9. Thurston

Thurston Winger

There's something to be said for replacing the first ten seconds of the intro to your favourite song with a frantic clicking sound iirc.

Malloy likes this.
  10. mad cyril

mad cyril Midfield

The Sonos Play 5 is the business. Thats what id go for if I was buying now.

11. Chappers

Chappers Striker

Sonos here too.

12. HoffTTM

HoffTTM Midfield

Depends how much money you want to spend and how many rooms you need it for

For just a single streaming speaker type thing the Naim Mu-so is what you want ignoring coin

13. Thackeray

Thackeray Winger

Sugden.

14. googleboogle

googleboogle Central Defender

Consider two sonos play 1s over a single 3 or 5.

Sossidge Rerls likes this.
  15. bernardbresslaw

bernardbresslaw Striker

I've got one of these connected to my HiFi (Arcam alpha8r amp, Mordaunt Short speakers).
    I've got all my music on my laptop in hi-rez (Flac) and it connects via bluetooth, quality is spot-on. I can also play spotify on my HiFi via my laptop or phone.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/range/rseries/miniblink.htm

Morse likes this.
  16. Lord Alfred

Lord Alfred Striker

A pair of Sonos Play 1's are better than a single Play 3, which doesn't have the best stereo seperation. Could be your lucky day however as I have a pair of Play 1's and a Play 3 and I'm buying another Play 3 and selling the Play1's if I can get the price I want. New in December and absolutely still as new, all accessories and boxed if you're interested.

googleboogle likes this.
  17. googleboogle

googleboogle Central Defender

Bad time to buy sonos as they always drop price over Christmas. But now they have actually put the price up. As a rrp

18. HABA87

HABA87 Midfield

LCD

The King of Um likes this.
  19. Lukas73

Lukas73 Winger

Got a Bose......it's quality

Daffy likes this.
  20. T_Bone

T_Bone Striker

Audio slave ? My cousin sold them that name. His band were called that and he had copyright on it. Made a few grand he did.