What is needed to get you out of your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I prefer it to driving. I see driving as a waste of time. On my own I take public transport, walk or cycle over the car in most scenarios. I am weird and I like to read, so I see the journey as an opportunity rather than a chore.
I don't see reading as a particularly weird past time Harry. Just a bit tricky when riding a bike or walking down the street. I'd be on the bus about 15 minutes each way for my daily commute. Would barely be worth opening one. That journey itself wouldn't be that bad but what happens after when I need to go do some shopping/go to the gym/pick dog up/something out of the ordinary crops up? There's no flexibility like having your own car.

I don't see reading as a particularly weird past time Harry. Just a bit tricky when riding a bike or walking down the street. I'd be on the bus about 15 minutes each way for my daily commute. Would barely be worth opening one. That journey itself wouldn't be that bad but what happens after when I need to go do some shopping/go to the gym/pick dog up/something out of the ordinary crops up. There's no flexibility like having your own car.
I enjoy cycling and walking and it's free exercise. I'm also lucky to have shops local and pool within walking distance.
Society is ordered around the car. 20 years time this will have to be radically different. Get a house close to work and public transport, you will be quids in.

I enjoy cycling and walking and it's free exercise. I'm also lucky to have shops local and pool within walking distance.
Society is ordered around the car. 20 years time this will have to be radically different. Get a house close to work and public transport, you will be quids in.
I like exercise. I do it in my spare time. Me moving closer to work seems a daft way to solve a problem I don't need sorting mind. I like where I live for starters.

Cars provide a flexibility public transport simply can't compete with.

Last edited:
I like exercise. I do it in my spare time. Me moving closer to work seems a daft way to solve a problem I don't need sorting mind. I like where I live for starters.
You don't need sorting now I agree. It is much easier, more convenient and cheaper to use a car in North East. 20 years time this may not be the case. I was speculating about 20 years time.

You don't need sorting now I agree. It is much easier, more convenient and cheaper to use a car in North East. 20 years time this may not be the case. I was speculating about 20 years time.
And cars are much more flexible. ;)

Public transport will never be able to compete imo. The only way it does in London is by making it shit for cars as well. A race to the bottom if you will.

Last edited:
And cars are much more flexible. ;)

Public transport will never be able to compete imo. The only way it does in London is by making it shit for both.
It will if cars are very very expensive. Which they will become when resources are more expensive. Luckily, I won't be too affected. Old and live near town centre.

It will if cars are very very expensive. Which they will become when resources are more expensive. Luckily, I won't be too affected. Old and live near town centre.
Yeah. Like I say, make it shitter to have a car so public transport is seen as being less shitter than it was. Great.

It will get to the point where no one will own a car. Self driving cabs will be booked from an app to take you to and from places.

It is much much preferable to the alternative.

Used the tube for years when I was down there it was class......Would allow me to get up later as could eat breakfast on the tube, read paper and have a nice chilled start to my day. Loved it and massively cheaper than owning a car when you got an annual pass.
Moved jobs recently, was about 7 miles to work by shortest road route and all had to be done on main roads so couldnt cycle, I found some back/off road routes where was safe to cycle but meant a 12 mile ride. As a result of it being best part of an hours ride each way I would only do it odd day as had kids to get back for etc.....New job is a 7 mile road ride and the roads are ok, not brilliant but not hitting the A roads....Will likely ride pretty much every day when its not pissing down......I honestly think if the cycle network was decent there are 1000s would ride to work over using cars.

Last edited:

Cars provide a flexibility public transport simply can't compete with.

PT can't compete with it agreed, but cycling can. But nee one is gunna cycle on our roads, they're awful.

PT can't compete with it agreed, but cycling can. But nee one is gunna cycle on our roads, they're awful.
And lack of changing facilities. I sometimes do it like. Only takes me 20 minutes. Not when I've got anything post work planned tho.

And lack of changing facilities. I sometimes do it like. Only takes me 20 minutes. Not when I've got anything post work planned tho.

A 20 min cycle shouldn't need changing facilities! :) If you had protected routes no one would need a shower really, your pace drops significantly as there's no need to keep up with traffic.

In the meantime though it is necessary, even providing things like hairdryers for the lasses etc removes those small but important barriers to people giving it a go.

Complete truth, was cycling along North Hylton road the other day while doing a recce for new job, I nearly fell into some of the pot holes......Gonna have to take Hybrid bike (slower) because the road bike will get smashed to fuck on the pot holes etc.......As an aside, the level of negligence by councils is unreal, the number of cyclists who hit pot holes and are badly injured or killed as they are thrown from their bikes is ridiculous.
A 20 min cycle shouldn't need changing facilities! :) If you had protected routes no one would need a shower really, your pace drops significantly as there's no need to keep up with traffic.

In the meantime though it is necessary, even providing things like hairdryers for the lasses etc removes those small but important barriers to people giving it a go.

Used to run to work (11 miles) and didnt need showers as was as fit as a lop and rarely sweat.....These days I need a shower by time I climb the stairs to bed 🤣

Last edited:

Just sit at work covered in mud and me hair all a mess then?

Also I need to pop to the supermarket and take the dog to the vets after work. I'm gonna need a canny big basket on the front for all that.

Last edited:
It will get to the point where no one will own a car. Self driving cabs will be booked from an app to take you to and from places.
I think plenty of people will want to own a car, especially if you do a long journeys or have kids.

How many times have you got on a train only to find the table covered in mess? I can imagine a car turning up filled with pop bottles and pasty crumbs because some scratter has booked it before you. At least on a train there is someone trying to keep it clean. Worse if you plan to do a 350 mile journey and one in a really bad state turns up and you know you are stuck with it for a day. Same for the person who gets if after me finding it covered in dog hair.

In my car I have things like a first aid kit, a spare pair of glasses and contact lenses, some sun glasses that live in there, a child seat, mobile phone charging cables, a dog towel etc. All useful stuff to have and not something you would want to lug around when you get to your destination - especially the child seat.

I go on camping trips. Having the car as a secure place to lock valuables is useful. On trips like that, maps and big coats etc tend to live in the car or we will go out for the day leaving a picnic in the boot to come back to later. Imagine waiting ages for a self drive to come into a remote countryside location then having to carry stuff that you only want if the weather changes, will be a right pain. Putting the roof box on will be interesting.

I think if you live in a town or city and mainly use the car for a short commute or shop, then it will be fine. The more rural you are, the more outdoors stuff you like to do or if you have kids and pets, then it quickly becomes impractical.

Bollocks. My route in is quite hilly, with one being very steep (it is not uncommon to see people pushing up it). The fitter I get, the faster I go and I do get sweaty. If it is wet then at the very least I have mud splashed up my legs. There are no road surfaces that only spray up crystal clear water and no mudguards that stop 100% of splashes. At just over 20 minutes of that, there is no way I would consider doing it then not even getting changed, let alone a shower when I get in.

Last edited:
It's the cost that gets me. I was at a funeral in South Sheilds with my mum and dad a few weeks ago. We thought about public transport so we could all have a drink. It worked out well over a tenner a head from their house in Lanchester.

You can fly to Dublin for that!

That's before you work out the slower journeys, hanging around for connections and the walk from bus stops to where you actually need to be. It was just a non starter when we could all jump in the car.

For most people, to use public transport would require it being cheaper, faster and more frequent. Which is near impossible to achieve, because to make it more frequent and faster means it's more expensive to run, meaning higher fares!

What I would say though in recent years it has definitely got more comfortable. The buses tend to be newer, cleaner and more comfortable than before.

just catching up on this thread (how did a public transport rant thread pass me by originally)

re: the bolded part - £7 p/person - all day all zone Go NE ticket

whether you'd want to be on the bus for that long is a different question though

I think plenty of people will want to own a car, especially if you do a long journeys or have kids.

How many times have you got on a train only to find the table covered in mess? I can imagine a car turning up filled with pop bottles and pasty crumbs because some scratter has booked it before you. At least on a train there is someone trying to keep it clean. Worse if you plan to do a 350 mile journey and one in a really bad state turns up and you know you are stuck with it for a day. Same for the person who gets if after me finding it covered in dog hair.

In my car I have things like a first aid kit, a spare pair of glasses and contact lenses, some sun glasses that live in there, a child seat, mobile phone charging cables, a dog towel etc. All useful stuff to have and not something you would want to lug around when you get to your destination - especially the child seat.

I go on camping trips. Having the car as a secure place to lock valuables is useful. On trips like that, maps and big coats etc tend to live in the car or we will go out for the day leaving a picnic in the boot to come back to later. Imagine waiting ages for a self drive to come into a remote countryside location then having to carry stuff that you only want if the weather changes, will be a right pain. Putting the roof box on will be interesting.

I think if you live in a town or city and mainly use the car for a short commute or shop, then it will be fine. The more rural you are, the more outdoors stuff you like to do or if you have kids and pets, then it quickly becomes impractical.

Bollocks. My route in is quite hilly, with one being very steep (it is not uncommon to see people pushing up it). The fitter I get, the faster I go and I do get sweaty. If it is wet then at the very least I have mud splashed up my legs. There are no road surfaces that only spray up crystal clear water and no mudguards that stop 100% of splashes. At just over 20 minutes of that, there is no way I would consider doing it then not even getting changed, let alone a shower when I get in.

Well yes obviously if you're going up massive hills you'll be knackered. The fitter I get the same pace I go, I'm trying not to work up a sweat, it's a way from a to b not a fitness thing for me.

I've never once had mud or water splash up when cycling, but I do have a dutch bike which is extremely practical and built for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back