What is needed to get you out of your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have this discussion all the time on here. You don't need to take every car off the road, nor stop people buying cars or driving them where they want.

Yes, some people literally need them to work, that's fine, some need to shift elders or disabled people around, or drag a bathroom around after work. The vast majority don't though, as has been proven over and over again. If you can transfer even 20% of those trips to other modes everyone else will enjoy massive benefits.

Just make it a pain in the arse to drive shorter trips and easier to walk and cycle, or take the bus. The majority will do it, it's not rocket science, we're all at heart just lazy, we all want quick, cheap, convenient travel. Just strangle car dominance a bit and everyone benefits.

You get what you design for, simple as that.

But who are "we" ? If you mean the British people we have no say in anything. "We" voted 3 years ago to leave the EU but we are still in it because our political - Bosses - don't give a flying fuck what "we" want. Everything that "we" used to control in a sense through nationalisation is now owned by global companies and we have no control over it. Labour , the Tories and the Liberals are so close that they might as well merge into one party and have done with it. They are currently throwing £50 billion ++ taxpayers money at HS2 because that's what "they" want and they have managed to persuade a large slice of the public that that's what "we" want and even if we decide we don't then tough titty. Elect a government led by Corbyn or whichever wanker is in charge of the Liberals and HS2 will still go ahead.
We all have a say if we all do a little bit. I have solar panels, compost all my food waste, cardboard packaging, grass etc, try to have more meat free meals and walk or cycle short journeys. I also try to buy British products if I can.I balance this out by working all over the British Isles, enjoying my holidays abroad and enjoy the occasional steak.

My point is we cant worry about what others do, because we can't control that. I'm also not convinced anything we as a species do will significantly affect global climate in the long term anyway :confused:

But who are "we" ? If you mean the British people we have no say in anything. "We" voted 3 years ago to leave the EU but we are still in it because our political - Bosses - don't give a flying fuck what "we" want. Everything that "we" used to control in a sense through nationalisation is now owned by global companies and we have no control over it. Labour , the Tories and the Liberals are so close that they might as well merge into one party and have done with it. They are currently throwing £50 billion ++ taxpayers money at HS2 because that's what "they" want and they have managed to persuade a large slice of the public that that's what "we" want and even if we decide we don't then tough titty. Elect a government led by Corbyn or whichever wanker is in charge of the Liberals and HS2 will still go ahead.
“We” are the people that need to be either priced out of things ( carrier bags, congestion charge for example) rather than doing stuff because it’s the right thing to do. We are the people that need points on our driving license for speeding ( then moan) because we get caught breaking the law when it’s proven that speed is the biggest contributing factor in deaths on our roads. “We” are the people who watch people in coastal communities loosing their homes because of rising sea levels but insist on driving to schoools to drop cherubs off.
“We” are the people that complain about living in a nanny state but show ( in this board for one) that so many of us still need our noses wiping and arses smacking nearly daily because we are pathetic at doing the right thing

See I think 120 quid a month for public transport is mental expensive.

I think it depends where you work mate. I work in a City Centre, so if I drove I’d be paying £6-7 a day parking; plus on top of that you have petrol and insurance for the car.

A metro pass is c£60 and the trip is actually quicker than using the car.

We have this discussion all the time on here. You don't need to take every car off the road, nor stop people buying cars or driving them where they want.

Yes, some people literally need them to work, that's fine, some need to shift elders or disabled people around, or drag a bathroom around after work. The vast majority don't though, as has been proven over and over again. If you can transfer even 20% of those trips to other modes everyone else will enjoy massive benefits.

Just make it a pain in the arse to drive shorter trips and easier to walk and cycle, or take the bus. The majority will do it, it's not rocket science, we're all at heart just lazy, we all want quick, cheap, convenient travel. Just strangle car dominance a bit and everyone benefits.

You get what you design for, simple as that.
Unfortunately it’s not the majority for exactly the reasons you state in your post. The cars driven on the very short school run show that in many cases.
The thousands of cars on the arterial roots into London even though the public transport is fantastic. You either need to make it financially massively different or penalise those that choose to carry on or both

Last edited:
“We” are the people that need to be either priced out of things ( carrier bags, congestion charge for example) rather than doing stuff because it’s the right thing to do. We are the people that need points on our driving license for speeding ( then moan) because we get caught breaking the law when it’s proven that speed is the biggest contributing factor in deaths on our roads. “We” are the people who watch people in coastal communities loosing their homes because of rising sea levels but insist on driving to schoools to drop cherubs off.
“We” are the people that complain about living in a nanny state but show ( in this board for one) that so many of us still need our noses wiping and arses smacking nearly daily because we are pathetic at doing the right thing

"They" (our political rulers) are the ones who don't have to worry about paying for carrier bags, congestion charges or train fares because they claim expenses.
We all have a say if we all do a little bit. I have solar panels, compost all my food waste, cardboard packaging, grass etc, try to have more meat free meals and walk or cycle short journeys. I also try to buy British products if I can.I balance this out by working all over the British Isles, enjoying my holidays abroad and enjoy the occasional steak.

My point is we cant worry about what others do, because we can't control that. I'm also not convinced anything we as a species do will significantly affect global climate in the long term anyway :confused:

I totally agree with that point but it's a debate that there's really no point in pursuing.

Last edited:
"They" (our political rulers) are the ones who don't have to worry about paying for carrier bags, congestion charges or train fares because they claim expenses.

I totally agree with that point but it's a debate that there's really no point in pursuing.
do you need to have someone telling you right from wrong?

Lanchester to Durham by bus. Durham to Newcastle by train then Metro to Shields. There may have been cheaper options but as you said, thats a long ride on a bus. Even if we had done the £7 ticket, for three of use the car made sense both financially and in time sense

I try to use public transport when Im at their place. Its not badly priced if you only have one or two legs to your journey and can get a day pass. Especially if you are on your own and have to pay for parking.
But once journeys get longer or you add extra passengers, the car nearly always makes sense

agree completely about the car being the sensible option once number of passengers and time taken increases

although, if you ever have to do it again

lanchester - Durham - 30 mins
Durham to South Shields - 1hr 30 mins

would be cheaper (and not much difference time wise to)

Lanchester - Durham - 30 mins
Durham - Gateshead/Newcastle - 45 mins to 1hr
metro - 15 to 20 mins

Tell me what in my post is false or what is false in the scientific evidence of climate change and why we should move away from fossil fuels.

Your post was nebulous so I was unsure how to answer it. Tell me what I am supposed to believe and I will consider it. First though, tell me what your field of knowledge is related to climate science ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back