What is needed to get you out of your cars?

Theres also a problem in the Northeast in that public transport is not joined up. There can be two companies on one bus route and they dont accept each others tickets.

Timing can be an issue as well. If you have to connect buses and theres 50 minutes between connections, you may as well drive.

In london with frequent connections it's no big deal. Miss a tube and you'll rarely have longer than 10 minutes to wait.

Get rid of bus lanes would help the environment. It's ridiculous that you have miles of traffic in one lane going at a snails pace when there's a lane completely empty and not a bus in sight. Driving in first and second gear causes a lot of pollution.

Having paid for a car nobody or very few people will get a bus. Pandering to these private bus companies by giving them a bus lane is utter madness. Even with a bus lane I still get to my destination a hell of a lot quicker than the bus. I would get there even more quickly if I could use both lanes and using a lot less petrol or diesel.

Get rid of bus lanes would help the environment. It's ridiculous that you have miles of traffic in one lane going at a snails pace when there's a lane completely empty and not a bus in sight. Driving in first and second gear causes a lot of pollution.

Having paid for a car nobody or very few people will get a bus. Pandering to these private bus companies by giving them a bus lane is utter madness. Even with a bus lane I still get to my destination a hell of a lot quicker than the bus. I would get there even more quickly if I could use both lanes and using a lot less petrol or diesel.

:lol:

C**** like that just need a good beating to bring them down a peg or two.

Seriously, the levels of entitlement and arrogance go up a notch whenever an ****hole gets behind the wheel of any Audi
Aye some one should've nicked his car leaving him exposed to good shoeing.Pedestrian crossings count for nowt in this country mind, always make sure.

we will very soon effectively blur the lines between a taxi and a bus and makes the cost attractive. even more so when the vehicle is driver free and therefore very cheap.

I haven't owned a car for the 20 years since i passed my test and it isn't a big deal unless you make it one.

we will very soon effectively blur the lines between a taxi and a bus and makes the cost attractive. even more so when the vehicle is driver free and therefore very cheap.

I haven't owned a car for the 20 years since i passed my test and it isn't a big deal unless you make it one.

It entirely depends on your circumstances, I absolutely need my car for work, using public transport isn't feasible a lot of the time.

Too many lazy fucks using the car for anything and everything is a problem like. The amount of kids who get dropped off at school when they live 5 minutes away, and the volume of greedy fat fuckers sat clogging up drive thrus because they can't be bothered to get off their arses and walk to buy the 2500 calories of MacDonald's they are about to shovel down their dials spring to mind.

I dont have the stats but you do see more and more people commuting and cycling in general these days, certainly over the last decade. If you put the infrastructure in place, make it safe then people will use it.
6 mile each way on the bike for me......30 mins max. The bus during peak commuting times takes 45 mins and costs £20+ a week........its a no brainer.
Do you use an app to track your miles? Almost all my cycling this year has been commuting, only a few recreational trips and I will probably be on 900 miles for the year by the end of the month. It is very pleasing to see them rack up.

Only a couple of other cyclists out this morning though, it is chucking it down.

I would give up my car for my commute if I could, I can walk to work about once a week cause I work from the office in the town but the rest of the time I'm working in Washington and there's no viable public transport that goes from ashbrooke to concord in a decent time

The metro needs extending to doxy Park, up the coast to shields so you're not back on yourself switching at pelaw then down to Seaham through Ryhope etc and across SR5 through Washington, and it would need to be reliable with contactless payments and run every 10 mins at least with more than 2 carriages at rush hour

Do you use an app to track your miles? Almost all my cycling this year has been commuting, only a few recreational trips and I will probably be on 900 miles for the year by the end of the month. It is very pleasing to see them rack up.

Only a couple of other cyclists out this morning though, it is chucking it down.

Strava.....Mine is probably 80% commuting with the usual Saturday/Sunday morning social ride thrown in.
1,600 miles so far this year.

Perhaps I'm being negative but there's no way they could improve transport infrastructure enough for me to give up having a car. It would cost billions upon billions and still probably not come close.
Agree,work from home seems more of a difficult but why not solution than trying to get everyone somewhere else

Agree,work from home seems more of a difficult but why not solution than trying to get everyone somewhere else
I'm sure that will become (even more) common in the years to come like with constantly improving IT links. Obviously it's completely impractical in many instances but a hell of a lot could do it even on a 2 or 3 days a week basis.

I'm sure that will become (even more) common in the years to come like with constantly improving IT links. Obviously it's completely impractical in many instances but a hell of a lot could do it even on a 2 or 3 days a week basis.

Plenty starting to enforce it.

Our lass occasionally does it and reckons she gets more done without the distractions and side tracking like. It would be great if it was more regular than having to drive all the way to north-tees every day.

Used to do it quite a bit in a previous job and I agree. Bonus is you'd end up with a few hours of free time having ploughed through work sharpish.

When it doesn't cost me £14.60 a day for a 9 mile each way trip to work, or £185 a month with a travel card thing, then I'll get public transport.
Also takes over an hour door to door on the train, as opposed to between 20 and 40 mins each way in the car. Once you get just outside of London the prices are shite...

Let's be honest here though... No government would ever want everyone out of their cars. Cars support thousands of jobs and revenue in the form of VAT, Excise Duty etc brings in a shit load of money from the motoring members of the public. Trying to force everyone onto public transport ain't going to happen. Eventually I can just see all houses having solar roofs and a windmill attached on the top ready to charge electric vehicles.

Back