What is needed to get you out of your cars?

Aye, we were talking about London.
We are still running trains which are essentially 1970s buses on train wheels. London has probably had 3 or 4 fleet replacements since the pacers were introduced in the 80s so we can safely say the London transport system will never ever be mirrored in the north east in terms of infrastructure, fleet and frequency of service.

It would get used if there was investment but since its utterly 5hit not as many will use it

Get me a lift to work and back (about 10 miles) at various times of stupid o clock in the morning, a lift to home & away games, a lift when i go shopping and a lift when i just fancy going for a drive. Also a lift on the back of a bike when i fancy a ride just for the hell of it.
Edit, we get about one bus an hour through our village.

See I think 120 quid a month for public transport is mental expensive.
4 quid a day for almost 24h transport anywhere in London? I'm pissed off if I wait more than 5 mins for any transport. Its an absolute bargain. I can't recall the last time I drove into London. Oh I can. 2 years ago to collect my belongings when I left my job.

4 quid a day for almost 24h transport anywhere in London? I'm pissed off if I wait more than 5 mins for any transport. Its an absolute bargain. I can't recall the last time I drove into London. Oh I can. 2 years ago to collect my belongings when I left my job.
Said like that it doesn't sound too bad but then I wouldn't be using it every day and I find the whole experience a right ballache as opposed to just jumping in my car and being away.

Said this for years, but all buses and trains should be publicly owned and 100% free to use.

It would decimate car use, and because the demand would be so high, the quality & frequency would climb, making them even more useful.

Money is an issue of course, but we'd also save from not having to build and maintain so many roads, and you know, less people dying of air pollution.

Government would also miss out on lots of fuel revenue and road tax.

They are all talk with green policy. Unless it saves or makes money, it wont happen

I reckon it will end up with tracking software on all cars and you'll have to pay based on your usage.
A drive from Sunderland to say Keilder forest at 5am might be charged at a lower rate due to la k of public transport options, but a drive to Newcastle at 7am would be higher as there is public transport.

System probably would log your speed as well and automatic speeding fines would pay for the whole thing.

They will only do it if it makes money, and given that over time road tax revenue will fall as people buy more economical or electric cars you can guarantee a new system will be put in place

Don't want to, love driving and cars / bikes. Will be a sad day for a good portion of mankind when they are gone but something needs to change for future generations.

Also what the fuck happens to my garage, employees and all the others in the world, grim thing to think of tbh.

Last edited:
Said like that it doesn't sound too bad but then I wouldn't be using it every day and I find the whole experience a right ballache as opposed to just jumping in my car and being away.
Yeah you do though. Sunday we walked to Greenwich and child 2 had a meltdown so we chose between the train and bus home.

Fecking chronic public transport in the ne. Massive overhaul needed or nowt will change.

Got a nice first class from edinburgh, then those shitty cattle trucks to hartlepool, embarassing theyre still (kind of) in use.
We get the same down here. The cities get the decent trains with 1st class, but you still end up in a skanky box for the last 40 minutes.

Yeah you do though. Sunday we walked to Greenwich and child 2 had a meltdown so we chose between the train and bus home.
That's the type of thing I mean tho. Need to get away quick and you are farting about in tube stations or on buses when you could just hop in your car and be away. Nowt worse than having to handle a scene in public. It's not for me.

That's the type of thing I mean tho. Need to get away quick and you are farting about in tube stations or on buses when you could just hop in your car and be away. Nowt worse than having to handle a scene in public. It's not for me.

And then you have to contend with London traffic. We drove to Wembley earlier this year. Took us nearly 2 hours to do the last 20 miles.

If we had a public transport system here that was even vaguely comparable to London, I’d be on it like a shot. As it is it’s cheaper, quicker and more convenient to drive.

I'd have been home in way more time than taking the car. Maybe you haven't been to London before?

London public transport is excellent and relatively cheap. The rest of the country it’s shite (unless you happen to live near one of the very few tram or train stations that is) and ridiculously expensive.

Make it free, or at least very cheap, would get a lot out of their cars. Couple that with investment in bus and trains, expensive but would probably give the economy a fair boost.

Back