What is Jack Diamond actually doing?

we let egan go when we were in the premler league..so presumably on the basis that we didnt think he would be a premier league footballer.
as he hasnt played in the premier league since we released him, that shows the decision was correct.
there are no examples of safc releasing a player from the academy who then went on to play premier league for anyone else.
i remember people on here going on about louis lang being released...he plays at a lower level than us now.
looks like that is going to change fairly soon imo....he has been outstanding for Sheff Utd

With the likes of Egan, that's just football. Plenty of players get released from plenty of clubs and go on to do well. What about the players we've released who've not pushed on? Is the alternative to hold onto them until their mid-20s, never playing for the first team but out on loan every season? Even the kids at Chelsea and Man City get sick of that.

With Diamond, he's out playing competitive football, fair play to him. I'd imagine he's still training with us. At this stage of the season it makes sense.

Egan had a bad injury whilst with us iirc which probably was a deciding factor. He had to work his way back up the leagues from League Two I think.

More hard lines than a mistake by the club for me.
Well ,the same could be said about Watmores 3 serious injures. We still have him here.

Pickford dropped down display 12 games for Alfreton and Gooch and Honeyman both had spells at Gateshead and Spennymoor are bidding for promotion and could probably cope at national league level based on results and performances. It's 8 games playing in a good team at a physical level and should hopefully push him on that little bit. Why do some feel the need to critiscise all the time.

Pickford started off on loan at Alfreton and Darlington. Gooch and Honeyman at Gateshead.

Edit. Someone has just posted exactly the same thing.
iuts more about relative ages when they did that (pickford as a keeper was prodigously young getting that loan)

Well ,the same could be said about Watmores 3 serious injures. We still have him here.
he was good enough to make our team..

looks like that is going to change fairly soon imo....he has been outstanding for Sheff Utd
and i hope it does...i havent seen him for sheff utd but he cant make the ireland team which is a worry as they are shite..

Last edited:

Anar but he's had 5 year in the lower leagues for experience. Also been able to operate in a successful system at Sheffield.

Do you think he will stick around in the summer? Marco alluded to him leaving before Christmas. BTW, I don't.
I don't see why he wouldn't, unless he doesn't back himself to beat competition to get into the side. If he doesn't, do we really want him? Jack Ross has shown he'll put faith in young players.

Anar but he's had 5 year in the lower leagues for experience. Also been able to operate in a successful system at Sheffield.

It’s took him that time to become a good Championship centre half. We were right to get rid any way you slice it for me.

Every club releases players who go on to be decent.

Back