What is consciousness?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

If you are alive, conscious and can read this you are probably not a tree.

Recent research suggests it's the interaction between various parts of the brain.
We may find out more in the next year or two if Christof Koch and his team come up with a reliable test.

Recent research suggests it's the interaction between various parts of the brain.
We may find out more in the next year or two if Christof Koch and his team come up with a reliable test.
Thanks for the info.

An accretion of feelings and experience. A tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self aware.

Nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself.

I wasn't expecting the replies posted so far.

@Mercia Blackcat Always has interesting things to say on subjects like this.

Consciousness is consciousness. Whenever you try to define consciousness you end up with a definition of something else. Consciousness is from nature but our personality is from nurture. Consciousness is the same in all of us. It is not affected by time. It is not limited by the dimension of space. It is timeless and infinite (non-finite). It is beyond definitions of the mind. It continues when the mind is silent. Perhaps it is universal and the universe itself is cognitive.
It is the universe experiencing itself subjectively.

Interesting statement.

Is wave function collapse occurring at a universal level?

Last edited:
Consciousness is consciousness. Whenever you try to define consciousness you end up with a definition of something else. Consciousness is from nature but our personality is from nurture. Consciousness is the same in all of us. It is not affected by time. It is not limited by the dimension of space. It is timeless and infinite (non-finite). It is beyond definitions of the mind. It continues when the mind is silent. Perhaps it is universal and the universe itself is cognitive.
:eek: What a brilliant reply.

We all have consciousness but where is it in the brain and how do we study it?

Its an unanswered question so you would do well to answer it marra.

And your smarter than me so I must be really unsmart.
No really this is too tricky for me (plus I'm pissed).

Reactions: Cow
:eek: What a brilliant reply.

I suppose it follows on from the recent thread on time travel and the nature of time. Each moment we are each individually experiencing a quantum universe that has an infinite number of potentialities but in which wave function collapse results in the collapse of all those infinite potentialities except for the one which is superimposed as reality onto that groundstate of a quantum universe. So that raises the question as to why as individuals even though we each experience our own reality, what causes the common reality between us. The logical explanation is that the universe itself is cognitive and we each experience that universal wave function collapse as reality.
PS
This is of course using the term cognitive with a wider definition to a purely human process.

Last edited:
Andrea Fella: Dependent Origination

That was an interesting listen about the twelve links or dependent conditions in the chain of ignorance that leads to suffering. Particularly the links between feeling - craving - clinging and that the link between feeling and craving is weak and can be recognised through mindfulness and broken before clinging arises. Thus the conditions leading to suffering then cease. I like the Buddhist perspective. It's very cognitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back