What is an 'acceptable' league position at the end of next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

With no manager and probably something like this left after departures with no money to spend on the squad:

Mika, Jones, Love, Djilobodji, Oviedo, Cattermole, Ndong, Rodwell, Gibson, McNair, Honeyman, Gooch, Watmore, Asoro

We'll be lucky to be top 10.

Has to be 6th or higher, anything less is failure. Yes were a mess but that league is so poor we should be able to manage a playoff place.

Top and promoted by Easter, win every game 3-0, fa cup and league cup final and our new striker scoring 40 goals and earn a place in the England squad for Russia.

Minimum for me ;):cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes::lol:

I want to see the debt reduced and evidence of a new transfer strategy based on young players implemented.

League position is almost secondary to those primary goals for me. If we make a number of flukey signings of young players who hit the ground running and manage a play-off spot or higher then fantastic, but if we take 2 seasons to get promoted yet look as though we're changing things gradually for the better then I'm fine with that.

I think we should take our time in the first division while the parachute payments are available and make sure we're fully prepared to come back up when we finally do.

This is our chance to rebuild properly, if we rush it we'll be back in the same boat in 2-3 years time imo.

Difficult I appreciate at this time as we don't have either a manager in place or know the identity of the playing squad!

However, if we say appoint one of the names being touted (McInnes, Pearson) and they clear out most of the mercenaries and bring in a few hungry ambitious players with the money Short releases.

Would top half with evidence of a playing style and entertaining football suffice ? Or

A Leeds like season, impressive in parts, just miss out on the play offs?

Sheffield Wednesday - reach the play offs Or

Must win automatic promotion ?

After this season's debacle I honestly think I'd settle for noticeable progress, a few exciting players and some wins.

When you look at the premier league table now (outside the riches of the top seven) we had been in the division for the longest sustained run of any club. Typical of Sunderlamd that we have failed to progress as a club year on year but we're arguably leaving it in a bigger mess than we were when we were promoted under Keane.

Maybe it's just our time was up.
We have to get rid of short !..........you should always aim for promotion!.............short does not care about the footballing side as long as we do not look like we will drop into 1st division he will not spend anything significant.........he is basically trying to get rid of the debt so he can sell so balancing the books is the aim so taking all the parashute payments plus sales he will run the club purely on a minimal outlay basis ..so thats years of mid table championship for us......its a sad sad day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back