What is 5x5 training for weight loss/strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I meant as in it always looks busy, I'd prefer to buy my own free weights for home.

That's fair enough.

I can't train in commercial gyms. Well, I can but I hate it and sessions are shit in comparison.

@Titus apologies if this has been asked before, but just to clarify....

I've been looking to get off this ridiculous cardio workout & get onto the 5x5 program. But as a novice, looking at it, the routine itself doesn't look like much (not wanting to sound pedantic) it just seems with 3 exercises at 5x5 you'd be doing 75 reps then you're out the gym. Which seems very little, not wanting to complicate things for myself of course but is this enough to see progress over about 6 months?

I've been looking to get off this ridiculous cardio workout & get onto the 5x5 program. But as a novice, looking at it, the routine itself doesn't look like much (not wanting to sound pedantic) it just seems with 3 exercises at 5x5 you'd be doing 75 reps then you're out the gym. Which seems very little, not wanting to complicate things for myself of course but is this enough to see progress over about 6 months?

5x5 with moderate-heavy weights is great for novice-intermediate lifters. On paper it doesn't seem like much, but there's a few things that make it a great choice:

- As a novice, go too high with reps and things get sloppy which is the last thing you want when you're learning new motor patterns

- The approximate %1RM that is used in a 5x5 is where you're going to recruit close to 100% motor units, above that you will be relying on rate coding, which is how fast impulses are being sent to the muscle

- It's based around multijoint movements that stimulate a lot of growth across the body as opposed to isolation exercises that primarily increase growth in the specific target area

- There is a greater potential for overload with the barbell movements used

Intact, there's more but it would be too lengthy of a post from an iPhone, but to put it basically - it's a great way to get adequate stimulation for good hypertrophic and neural adaptations, whilst learning movements with the most potential for overload.

Try the routine and if you want some extra stimulation, look at the ICF novice 5x5, which has some added movements.

Hope that helps mate.

I'll just regurgitate what Titus will say and what every respected strength author with years and years of experience training themselves and their clients would say:

There is enough volume in that programme for you to progress over the course of six months. It has been designed specifically to allow beginners to progress and to teach them the basics of strength training.

Why does a training session need to be 1.5 hours long and incorporate shitty little 'beach' exercises to work every tiny detail of your body? Unless you're a pro bodybuilder/fitness model I can't see the point. As a beginner, that's too much volume anyway.

If you nail the correct form and then train on this programme at the right intensities, rest enough and eat well, you will progress. That's a cast iron guarantee.

I did it myself. I had no problems with a lack of volume and have come on leaps and bounds in my first year of weight training through using a this programme and another one like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back