What is 5x5 training for weight loss/strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambler0-3

Subs Bench
Can someone please confirm how best to do 5 x 5 training for weight loss/strength.

I take it 5 x 5 relates to 5 sets and 5 reps of each exercise? is it best to do heavy weights?

Also best exercises to lose around a stone and half?

Thanks a lot for your help

Can someone please confirm how best to do 5 x 5 training for weight loss/strength.

I take it 5 x 5 relates to 5 sets and 5 reps of each exercise? is it best to do heavy weights?

Go with a tried and tested 5x5 with a progression scheme.

Weight loss is dictated by your energy balance (need to be in a calorie deficit), but once you start proper resistance training you will realise you will recomp a bit.

If you search there's a number of threads on here relating to 5x5 training and a lot of info buried in other threads (look at the powerlifting/strength training thread).

The key points to save you time:

- Follow a prescribed 5x5 programme. They're very simple. Two workouts that you alternate with a rest day in between.

A = Squats, Bent Over Row and Deadlifts (do 1 working set of 5 reps on deadlifts).

B= Squats, Overhead Press and Bench Press.

Start off light and learn the correct form. Get someone in the gym to advise or post videos on here for advice. Then look to progress over time.

You will get stronger through neuronal reprogramming if you're new to these movements but otherwise, weight loss and massive strength gains aren't really compatible. To lose weight you need to consume less calories than you're expending in a given period of time. To gain strength, with the exception of 'newbie gains' you need to consume more calories than you expend in a given period of time.

Training using a 5x5 programme will improve your overall body composition and help you lose weight, though.

If you search there's a number of threads on here relating to 5x5 training and a lot of info buried in other threads (look at the powerlifting/strength training thread).

- Follow a prescribed 5x5 programme. They're very simple. Two workouts that you alternate with a rest day in between.

A = Squats, Bent Over Row and Deadlifts (do 1 working set of 5 reps on deadlifts).

Start off light and learn the correct form. Get someone in the gym to advise or post videos on here for advice. Then look to progress over time.

You will get stronger through neuronal reprogramming if you're new to these movements but otherwise, weight loss and massive strength gains aren't really compatible. To lose weight you need to consume less calories than you're expending in a given period of time. To gain strength, with the exception of 'newbie gains' you need to consume more calories than you expend in a given period of time.

Training using a 5x5 programme will improve your overall body composition and help you lose weight, though.

A = Squats,Overhead Press and Deadlifts (do 1 working set of 5 reps on deadlifts).

B= Squats, Bench Press and Bent Over Row

I've just started training again using this. Easiest way to track it is to download the stronglifts app. I would say the best thing to do is start light and concentrate on form and explosiveness, it seems to help when the weights become heavier imo. The weight goes up quickly (on squats especially).

A = Squats,Overhead Press and Deadlifts (do 1 working set of 5 reps on deadlifts).

I've just started training again using this. Easiest way to track it is to download the stronglifts app. I would say the best thing to do is start light and concentrate on form and explosiveness, it seems to help when the weights become heavier imo. The weight goes up quickly (on squats especially).

This. I went "back to basics" when I returned to the gym after 7 weeks out when my daughter was born and started Stronglifts. Now I enjoy my gym sessions more than ever. There's nothing more satisfying than reaching the next 10kg on an exercise.

Thanks for the post

Would you recommend:

Workout A - rest day - workout b - rest day - workout a - rest day - workout b i.e. 4 sessions per week with two days off?

On your point about helping me lose weight - if I consume less calories but still train well on this programme, am I likely to see gains in both so additional strength with weight loss?

Thanks

Thanks for the post

Would you recommend:

Workout A - rest day - workout b - rest day - workout a - rest day - workout b i.e. 4 sessions per week with two days off?

On your point about helping me lose weight - if I consume less calories but still train well on this programme, am I likely to see gains in both so additional strength with weight loss?

Thanks

Only limited gains/losses as you'll start to burn muscle as well as fat

Thanks for the post

Would you recommend:

Thanks

5x5 is generally set up so that you do 3 sessions per week then 2 days of rest.

The next one depends. If you're a novice trainee, you will see strength/muscle gains in addition to fat loss for a period of time.

Thanks for the post

Would you recommend:

Thanks

Mentioned it in my post: you'll see what people call 'newbie' gains even in a calorie deficit as your body learns the movements. You will also see some gains in muscle mass. This won't last as you become more experienced, however and to gain strength/mass you will need to start eating a calorie surplus with enough protein, carbs and fat to support muscle growth (it's not just about protein).

As Titus says, 5x5 is designed around 3 sessions per week. If you're not doing any other physical activity you could look at some active recovery on weekends.[DOUBLEPOST=1395150563][/DOUBLEPOST]

5x5 did wonders for my deadlift.

Last edited:
Decided to try this as I was getting bored of my old training routine so started it this morning, looking forward to see what results it brings.

Thanks for the post

Would you recommend:

Thanks
Are you wanting to lose weight or lose fat? If you eat well on 5x5 you can gain strength & lose fat.

Without sounding stupid, what is the difference?

Losing weight is the obvious weighing less when you get on the scales. Losing fat is losing body fat, but by building muscle, your weight is not likely to change a great deal as muscle weighs more than fat, but your body composition will change and you'll look slimmer.

If you're training & eating right you will gain muscle, that muscle increases your metablism which will help you burn fat.

You might not lose any weight but it'd help lose the kite & the moobs ;)

I'm no expert like so I'm sure one of the experts will be along to put us right if I'm talking shite!

All tissue within the body weighs something. You can lose muscle mass and it will be celebrated as weight loss if that's all you're concerned about.

Losing fat is reducing body fat stores.

Ways to ensure that you primarily do the latter are;

- Eat sufficient protein
- Eat at an appropriate calorie deficit
- Resistance train
- Do cardio if you need to

Thanks. I was expecting a better weight loss from myself for what I've done but the change in body shape/less fat is noticeable so I'm happy with that.

Thanks. I was expecting a better weight loss from myself for what I've done but the change in body shape/less fat is noticeable so I'm happy with that.

What are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Buy 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler off Amazon, that describes the programme you're talking about in complete detail. Cheaper on ebook. Not really good for weight loss, great for becoming an inhumanely strong quadzilla.

Buy 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler off Amazon, that describes the programme you're talking about in complete detail. Cheaper on ebook. Not really good for weight loss, great for becoming an inhumanely strong quadzilla.

Alternatively, there's a link to a free version somewhere on a thread I started in here.

5/3/1 is not Stronglifts though.

What are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

1. 30 minutes cross trainer (on fat burn lvl 10)
  2. Pectoral fly ( 8 reps for 4 sets using 90lb)
  3. 30 minutes exercise bike (on fat burn level 4)
  4. Converging chest press press ( 8 reps for 4 sets using 85lb)
  5. 20 minutes treadmill (14 running, 6 walking)
  6. Abdominal crunch ( 8 reps for 5 sets using 90lb)
When I started in Jan I was struggling to run for 2 minutes, get past lvl1 on the cross trainer and was using 70lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back