What is 5x5 training for weight loss/strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5/3/1 isn't a good choice for a novice IMO[DOUBLEPOST=1395242505][/DOUBLEPOST]
  1. 30 minutes cross trainer (on fat burn lvl 10)
  2. Pectoral fly ( 8 reps for 4 sets using 90lb)
  3. 30 minutes exercise bike (on fat burn level 4)
  4. Converging chest press press ( 8 reps for 4 sets using 85lb)
  5. 20 minutes treadmill (14 running, 6 walking)
  6. Abdominal crunch ( 8 reps for 5 sets using 90lb)
When I started in Jan I was struggling to run for 2 minutes, get past lvl1 on the cross trainer and was using 70lb.

That's a lot of cardio.

Also, why are you only doing chest exercises?

Last edited by a moderator:

5/3/1 isn't a good choice for a novice IMO[DOUBLEPOST=1395242505][/DOUBLEPOST]

That's a lot of cardio.

Also, why are you only doing chest exercises?
The chest is the area that I'm wanting to work on, my thighs and calfs don't have much fat on them to begin with.

Surely you can't have too much cardio?

The chest is the area that I'm wanting to work on, my thighs and calfs don't have much fat on them to begin with.

Surely you can't have too much cardio?

You can't target reduce fat by hitting it with resistance training mate. In the early stages you may build a bit of muscle tissue that makes the fat less noticeable though.

You can absolutely have too much cardio. Without even getting in to the real nerdy shit, a lot of cardio is going to contribute to a bigger calorie deficit, which is going to increase the amount of muscle protein used for energy.

For improving body composition, a routine based around resistance training with a bit of cardio thrown in as needed is what is going to yield the best results. Save the gruelling endurance training sessions for endurance athletes mate.

I wasn't trying to spot reduce fat, I seen it more like I consider myself toned from the waist to feet whereas the upper half is more fat. I don't want to lose inches and find I look puny on top so wanted to tone up in preparation of losing more inches.

I wasn't trying to spot reduce fat, I seen it more like I consider myself toned from the waist to feet whereas the upper half is more fat. I don't want to lose inches and find I look puny on top so wanted to tone up in preparation of losing more inches.

Without meaning to sound harsh mate: whenever I hear this I just think "You're wasting your time!!! Stop! Now!"

If you're happy to engage in resistance training then do it properly from the start, it'll be better for you in the long run.

Without meaning to sound harsh mate: whenever I hear this I just think "You're wasting your time!!! Stop! Now!"

If you're happy to engage in resistance training then do it properly from the start, it'll be better for you in the long run.

What do you mean by do it properly from the start, lose the fat then work from there?

What do you mean by do it properly from the start, lose the fat then work from there?

No.

Get onto a full body routine that incorporates deadlift, squats, bench press and overhead press as a bare minimum. Look to progress on those weights. Eat a calorie deficit or surplus depending on whether you need to cut fat or build muscle.

So, on the 5x5 what sort of weight compared to your max should you be doing?? Or do u gradually increase them towards last set??

Different ways to approach it. Early stages you're best off working up to a top set

Build muscle all over. Obviously you're going for the chest and 6 pack thing with your crunches and converging chest press and pec flies, all of which you're doing on the machines.

Building muscle all over will make you look a lot better. It will burn more calories. Muscles burn calories just by existing, and the bigger they are the more they burn.

To be fair most people start out doing a bit of chest press, some bi cep curls, and a few crunches. That's what they notice when they seen these amazing physiques - chest, abs and biceps. What you probably don't notice as a novice is the rest of it, the shoulders, the back, the legs etc etc

You can either listen to people here giving you solid advice, or you can do what a lot of people do, and do it your own way, which you assume is the right way as it makes sense in your head.

If you do decide to do it your way, well see you in 6 months when your not making much progress and come looking for answers why.[DOUBLEPOST=1395269841][/DOUBLEPOST]

That's if you're bothered about building muscle anyway. If you just looking to lose weight, do whatever you want as long as your active and eating in a defeicet. Building muscle properly is a lot harder than just burning off some fat. A lot harder.

I've spend about 6 minutes on cardio machines in the last 6 months.

Last edited:
Build muscle all over. Obviously you're going for the chest and 6 pack thing with your crunches and converging chest press and pec flies, all of which you're doing on the machines.

Building muscle all over will make you look a lot better. It will burn more calories. Muscles burn calories just by existing, and the bigger they are the more they burn.

To be fair most people start out doing a bit of chest press, some bi cep curls, and a few crunches. That's what they notice when they seen these amazing physiques - chest, abs and biceps. What you probably don't notice as a novice is the rest of it, the shoulders, the back, the legs etc etc

You can either listen to people here giving you solid advice, or you can do what a lot of people do, and do it your own way, which you assume is the right way as it makes sense in your head.

If you do decide to do it your way, well see you in 6 months when your not making much progress and come looking for answers why.[DOUBLEPOST=1395269841][/DOUBLEPOST]

That's if you're bothered about building muscle anyway. If you just looking to lose weight, do whatever you want as long as your active and eating in a defeicet. Building muscle properly is a lot harder than just burning off some fat. A lot harder.

I've spend about 6 minutes on cardio machines in the last 6 months.
Christ! I'm glad you edited your post as the first one was a bit harsh. My intention is to do the right training, not what I think is best otherwise I wouldn't be going to the gym at all.
The point of the resistance training is purely to build muscle to burn fat, I'm not trying to focus on one specific part but as mentioned earlier below my waist is toned, I didn't think focusing on building muscle on my legs would burn fat all over my body.

To clear things up, the main goal is to lose weight but I don't want to look like a skinny welk while doing so.

Christ! I'm glad you edited your post as the first one was a bit harsh. My intention is to do the right training, not what I think is best otherwise I wouldn't be going to the gym at all.
The point of the resistance training is purely to build muscle to burn fat, I'm not trying to focus on one specific part but as mentioned earlier below my waist is toned, I didn't think focusing on building muscle on my legs would burn fat all over my body.

To clear things up, the main goal is to lose weight but I don't want to look like a skinny welk while doing so.

haha yeah mate I gan off on a tangent sometimes, but its just because ive wasted time in the past doing things wrong and wish id looked into things more before wasting months doing my own thing.

but the optimal goal in my eyes, when you looking to lose weight, is to feel and look good at the end of the process. by incorporating resitance training youre killing 2 birds will one stone. The weight will come off faster, and at the end you will look alot better. resistance training burns calories long after youre finished, cardio stops burning calories almost immediately after u stop.

you mention the word toned, its a much frowned upon word most of the time. used mainly by beginners. toning up is simply losing fat, getting leaner. you cant tone a muscle, and you cant tone fat. but you can build muscle, and you can lose fat (not at the same time normally but lets not get into that).

you dont have to dive into a 5x5 program, you can stick with the machines and try to hit each area, and make sure its hard work. its not optimal, but its better than hours on a treadmill.

haha yeah mate I gan off on a tangent sometimes, but its just because ive wasted time in the past doing things wrong and wish id looked into things more before wasting months doing my own thing.

but the optimal goal in my eyes, when you looking to lose weight, is to feel and look good at the end of the process. by incorporating resitance training youre killing 2 birds will one stone. The weight will come off faster, and at the end you will look alot better. resistance training burns calories long after youre finished, cardio stops burning calories almost immediately after u stop.

you mention the word toned, its a much frowned upon word most of the time. used mainly by beginners. toning up is simply losing fat, getting leaner. you cant tone a muscle, and you cant tone fat. but you can build muscle, and you can lose fat (not at the same time normally but lets not get into that).

you dont have to dive into a 5x5 program, you can stick with the machines and try to hit each area, and make sure its hard work. its not optimal, but its better than hours on a treadmill.

Saves himself time by doing compound barbell movements though. And it'll be functional strength. Which movements in life or sport isolate a single muscle like machines do?

Saves himself time by doing compound barbell movements though. And it'll be functional strength. Which movements in life or sport isolate a single muscle like machines do?

Yeah I know, hence why I said it's not optimal. But not everybody is comfortable in the free weight section. Not everyone wants to do that.

Depends on his goals.

And machines don't always isolate muscles. They use less muscles as you don't need much stabilisation but for example a chest press machine is still doing work on triceps and shoulders. But yes if you're serious about it then of course your gonna be in the free weights.

I don't feel ready to be using the free weights yet, especially the ones at Pure Gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back