What do you want out of life?

To be a decent bloke, to have done well by the kids and wife, to have supported the community and helped make other people's lives better. If in return I get a few pints out of it, get to go camping in the great outdoors and see a SAFC trophy win all the better.

Contentment is key for me. I envy those who have no desire to be wealthy, rarely feel the need to spend money or leave the village where they have lived all their lives, type of people you used to see sitting on the public seats in your community watching the world go by and always making time to say hello and speak to people, that is more important than a big house , fast car or loads of money in the bank. Some of the most content ( not necessarily happy ) have been like this, happy in their own skin, I see a lot of this in people who have allotments, not millionaires financially but millionaires spiritually.

To see my kids and grandkids doing okay, to think that hopefully some of that was down to my influence, to help and assist others worse off than yourself ( only if they deserve it ) and to leave the world in a better place than when I entered it, again would like to think I played my part in that. The last bit is sad really, as I don't think that is going to be the case.

Contentment is key for me. I envy those who have no desire to be wealthy, rarely feel the need to spend money or leave the village where they have lived all their lives, type of people you used to see sitting on the public seats in your community watching the world go by and always making time to say hello and speak to people, that is more important than a big house , fast car or loads of money in the bank. Some of the most content ( not necessarily happy ) have been like this, happy in their own skin, I see a lot of this in people who have allotments, not millionaires financially but millionaires spiritually.
I also think there are benefits in life to being mainly a loner. Life in the personal gain & impressions world has become too competitive.

Priorities change over time and with circumstance.When I didnt have kids (and really wanted them) I was in good physical shape (but not in a great place mentally) plus my job was ok but I wanted out.

Now I'm in a place where family life is great but tiring,our respective jobs are good but I'd love to be back to 2017/18 physical shape,getting back into it but the family and job situations make that harder.

Could always do with a bit more bunce and a football team that are not shit but I can change one of those things.

At that age when I'm.hearing people from school are getting cancer or dying,canny depressing.

I also think there are benefits in life to being mainly a loner. Life in the personal gain & impressions world has become too competitive.
I also think we shouldn't really be asking ourselves " what do we want out of life " but rather " what do we not want to happen to us in life". I say this because recently its occurred to me, mainly through watching You Tube videos, just how many people from the world of football and music etc, died young, also many people I know personally passing away lately, in their mid 50s and early 60s. Nothing wrong with wanting things, we only pass this way once, so make the best of it etc, but I feel blessed ( so far, as you never know what is around the corner) that I am still alive, haven't had cancer or some other life threatening illness, nothing bad has happened to my children or grandchildren, son hasn't committed suicide, daughter hasn't been raped, wife never died when I was married to her, and she never ran off with my best mate etc etc. All of these things happen to people, thankfully in my case to other people, and I bet a few on this board have experienced those tragedies, I feel for them if they have. Yep, better to think about what you already have, and be thankful, rather than to get too far ahead of yourself.

I also think we shouldn't really be asking ourselves " what do we want out of life " but rather " what do we not want to happen to us in life". I say this because recently its occurred to me, mainly through watching You Tube videos, just how many people from the world of football and music etc, died young, also many people I know personally passing away lately, in their mid 50s and early 60s. Nothing wrong with wanting things, we only pass this way once, so make the best of it etc, but I feel blessed ( so far, as you never know what is around the corner) that I am still alive, haven't had cancer or some other life threatening illness, nothing bad has happened to my children or grandchildren, son hasn't committed suicide, daughter hasn't been raped, wife never died when I was married to her, and she never ran off with my best mate etc etc. All of these things happen to people, thankfully in my case to other people, and I bet a few on this board have experienced those tragedies, I feel for them if they have. Yep, better to think about what you already have, and be thankful, rather than to get too far ahead of yourself.
People don't realise what they've had until it's gone, then they begin to realise - as they get older - about making the most of what they had but by then they've missed it so it's too late. Which leads to depressing thoughts and other issues unfortunately. My logic (depressing as it is) is now to live life for the day, because as you say no-one knows what tomorrow holds. It's also wise to keep life-things in perspective & not to make yourself overhappy with materialistic temporary things. Some of the posts on here remind me of that.
Priorities change over time and with circumstance.When I didnt have kids (and really wanted them) I was in good physical shape (but not in a great place mentally) plus my job was ok but I wanted out.

Now I'm in a place where family life is great but tiring,our respective jobs are good but I'd love to be back to 2017/18 physical shape,getting back into it but the family and job situations make that harder.

At that age when I'm.hearing people from school are getting cancer or dying,canny depressing.
Live life how you decide, make the best of what you have and always try to look positively at things. You won't go too far wrong.

Last edited:

Back